Audio-Video Problems

Vicar

Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I just activated SA for the first time. After waiting the requisite 4 days, I was able to access the programming early this morning. However, on most channels, the sound is not in sync with the video. What is worse, it sounds like someone keeps trying to fast forward the audio to match the video, which seldom works. In addition, the audio quality is, as another thread notes, not quite up to industry standards. Is all of this (most notably the lack of synchronization) a standard feature on SA, or did I just get lucky and pick a bad day for subscribing? :confused:

Welcome to Satellite Guys Vicar!

The sound on SA is best described as "Crunchy". It is definitely overcompressed and has very limited range. As to the lip-sync issue, I have never experienced it myself. Have you tried doing a system reset? Two ways to do a reset. Pull the card, wait 10 seconds or so and reinsert it or unplug the unit for at least 30 seconds (a minute is best) and plugging it back in. That sometimes helps.

See ya
Tony

This sounds like a problem with the receiver. I know my 522s have experienced this sync issue with many different channels. Jumping back in the show 10 or 20 seconds (1 or 2 jumps) usually solves it, though you sometimes have to get past the part that caused the problem.

I have not noticed this as much recently, and the 522 has a new software version out, so I am not sure how severe the ongoing problem is.

If you are not using a DVR, I may be way of base. I have not noticed the sync issues in general on SkyAngel channels, though I only watch a few shows, mostly taped these days. Other than listening to Z73 and CSN, where sync issues are rather irrelevent. :)

Brad

Voom As Well

Thanks for your responses, Tony and Brad. One would think it was the receiver, but if I spin the dish to the other Dish Network satellites, the AV sync is fine. Also, I checked over at the Voom forum to see if anyone was having problems there (I think I recall that they are at 61.5 as well). Curious that they have a lip sync problem discussion running now as well. Since it is obvious that not everyone is experiencing this problem but that some seem to be, I wonder if it is a combination of factors including the type of receiver we are using. Mine is an old one, I believe it is a 3000. I have had it since '97. Signal deflection is perfect at around 100, but I wonder if the age of the receiver coupled with a marginal problem at the uplink/'satellite end might be to blame. Who does one call? Dish or SA? Thanks again!

Vicar said:
Thanks for your responses, Tony and Brad. One would think it was the receiver, but if I spin the dish to the other Dish Network satellites, the AV sync is fine. Also, I checked over at the Voom forum to see if anyone was having problems there (I think I recall that they are at 61.5 as well). Curious that they have a lip sync problem discussion running now as well. Since it is obvious that not everyone is experiencing this problem but that some seem to be, I wonder if it is a combination of factors including the type of receiver we are using. Mine is an old one, I believe it is a 3000. I have had it since '97. Signal deflection is perfect at around 100, but I wonder if the age of the receiver coupled with a marginal problem at the uplink/'satellite end might be to blame. Who does one call? Dish or SA? Thanks again!

My DVR508 is fine and I also know of a 3000 (Sky Angel only sub) that is wroking fine as well, as far as the audio is in sync with the video. With the limited memory, the EPG is very slow with the 3000 though.

Jeff

I have a 721, 501 and 1000 receiver that all are fine with the lip sync on the Sky Angel channels. These channels are pretty compressed and may give your receiver some problems. Sorry I can't be more help.

See ya
Tony

Will Test

Again, Thanks all. Word from you that you are NOT having issues is helpful in itself. I will ask a friend with a new receiver to let me plug my card in his and borrow it for a bit on Monday. Assuming it works, I will at least know I need a newer receiver.

I have appreciated your feedback.

Vicar said:
Again, Thanks all. Word from you that you are NOT having issues is helpful in itself. I will ask a friend with a new receiver to let me plug my card in his and borrow it for a bit on Monday. Assuming it works, I will at least know I need a newer receiver.

I have appreciated your feedback.

Your card won't work in your friend's receiver--they are each married to the receiver they are authorized for.

Babalouie is correct. That trick wont work. Once a card is activated, it is a key. Just like your house key won't open your friend's front door, your friend's card will not "work" your receiver.

Have you tried the resets yet? Pulling the card for 30 seconds or pulling the plug for a minute or so. It sounds like it doesn't do anything, but it does. It might surprise you. :)

Good luck!
See ya
Tony

card

That complicates matters. Should have realized it however. I reset it at least a dozen times, but it has not effect on the lipsync problem. Since I can't test my card on another machine, it looks like I may have to buy another receiver and hope for the best! I can't imagine that the feed antenna could cause something like this???? So it must be a receiver glitch.

If you have a bad receiver, you should sign on for the 5.00 a month service plan, then call DISH and tell them your receiver is bad, then they ship you one for free. Then, there might be the possibility of cancelling the service plan in your future (although I maintain my 5.00 a month, and have taken advantage of it several times, including a SW-64 replacement).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)