Auto bill pay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Couple of things. First off, make sure you set up the autopay well in advance of your bill date, and watch the first one. I set my autopay up about three days before my bill was due and directv applied the payment the day after it was due and then tried to charge me a late payment fee. Because they autopaid themselves a day late.

Spent a lot of time with Bob in India trying to explain that they couldnt charge me late and then charge me a late payment fee ;)

I guess they hadnt gotten around to putting the autopay into the system or some other glitch came up where they didnt do the payment application and charge my card.

Whats in it for directv to give you a credit or up front bonus? Maybe you'll use their card for other stuff instead of one of the ones you currently use. They get the float on your money. Maybe you're late paying the bill one month or cant pay the whole thing and they get to put 20%-25% interest on you.

I think the directv card does have some 'rewards' set up if you use it a lot, like free equipment or programming. Havent really looked at it that hard, but I think I remember seeing something like that.

You can get these sorts of deals all over the place. Sony will give you $100 off anything you buy in the Sonystyle store for getting the sony credit card, and they regularly offer deals where if you spend a few thousand through the card within six months, they give you $300 back.

Only downside to taking the $100 is opening another credit card account usually involves a hard hit on your credit report, and an additional potential debt load. This may temporarily lower your credit rating by a bit, and may alter the rating a small amount longer term.

Instead of applying for lots of credit cards, I have ALL of my bills charged for autopay to one credit card that pays me a 1.25% cash rebate, then that card is set up to be autopaid through withdrawal from my brokerage money market account. I get about $250-350 a year in free money from this arrangement. No chance of missing a payment or forgetting to pay the credit card bill.

The pentagon federal credit union card pays 1.25%. I think Schwab has one that pays 2% a month into your brokerage account. Nice part about these two is that they automatically deduct the cash rebate from your monthly bill instead of making you ask them for a check.

Whats nice is that credit card statement has all my monthly bills listed in one place, so I can see where my money is going, and I can look at any statement online for details.

You make it sound like autopay is them giving you another credit card. Is that the case? I thought it was just you register your Credit card or debit or whatever and they get their bill straight from that.

I don't want another credit card. I've got one and, that's all I need. I'll forgo the $100 visa prepaid gift if I have to. I'll certainly survive without it.

Do you have a link to the offer you're mentioning? The one I was aware of involved getting the directv credit card and authorizing it for autopay.

If you have one that gives you $100 for signing up for autopay with no 'catch', I'd like to see it.

I have seen a bunch of complaints about people who thought they were getting a no strings attached $100 gift card for signing up for autopay that never received the gift, only to be told by directv that there was no such offer without applying for the directv credit card.

Do you have a link to the offer you're mentioning? The one I was aware of involved getting the directv credit card and authorizing it for autopay.

If you have one that gives you $100 for signing up for autopay with no 'catch', I'd like to see it.

I have seen a bunch of complaints about people who thought they were getting a no strings attached $100 gift card for signing up for autopay that never received the gift, only to be told by directv that there was no such offer without applying for the directv credit card.

If you look at this page you will see the banner across the top. It says special holiday offer. $100 visa gift card. The fine print under lock in your price til 2011 says available to customers who get the choice package or above. Must enroll in auto bill pay at the time of purchase.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1

Thanks for the heads up on the people never getting the gift card. I'm really beginning to question whether I should forget this whole thing. I'm reading waaaayy too many bad things about Directvs business practices.

Its not giving me anything on a banner, so perhaps its a new (or newer) customer offer or something offered up to customers who havent been given other credits or bonus offers over the last 3/6/12 months.

Since I cant see new customer offers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if they're going to give you a $100 visa card, you're going to get shorted in some other discount or offer to the tune of $100.

If you're a new customer and take them up on this, make sure you get screen shots and get the names of the people you talk to, and an email confirmation or something on paper before you agree to it.

Another tack is to get their best price with this $100 offer and give a friends address, then call back with your own service address and work them for their best offer without the autopay credit. Bet they're about the same.

Its not giving me anything on a banner, so perhaps its a new (or newer) customer offer or something offered up to customers who havent been given other credits or bonus offers over the last 3/6/12 months.

Since I cant see new customer offers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if they're going to give you a $100 visa card, you're going to get shorted in some other discount or offer to the tune of $100.

If you're a new customer and take them up on this, make sure you get screen shots and get the names of the people you talk to, and an email confirmation or something on paper before you agree to it.

Another tack is to get their best price with this $100 offer and give a friends address, then call back with your own service address and work them for their best offer without the autopay credit. Bet they're about the same.

[ame]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/Rocguy/DTV.jpg[/ame]

Good idea. Perhaps if you cleared your cookies and temporary internet files, you should be able to then go to their site and see exactly what I see. Just don't log in. That's the only way the website knows if you're a customer or not.

Last edited:
If you look at this page you will see the banner across the top. It says special holiday offer. $100 visa gift card. The fine print under lock in your price til 2011 says available to customers who get the choice package or above. Must enroll in auto bill pay at the time of purchase.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1

Thanks for the heads up on the people never getting the gift card. I'm really beginning to question whether I should forget this whole thing. I'm reading waaaayy too many bad things about Directvs business practices.

If you get it, be happy !

As for your post a few up, auto pay is NOT a credit card, it's just like you explained it.
If they are offering a deal if you sign up for a D* credit card, thats an entirely different thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts