Auto Dimming When Viewing From Hard Drive

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
We've had the Hopper for a week. When viewing shows directly from the external hard drive, they automatically dim after about 15 minutes. This didn't happen on my old ViP receiver that the hard drive was originally connected to. Is there a setting on the Hopper that I'm missing?

It happens on both TV's connected to the Hopper (1 via component/optical cables and the other via the composite outputs) so it can't be the TV settings themselves. Besides, turning the TV off/on doesn't change anything. Selecting any sat receiver function immediately corrects the problem.

I don't think it's a hard drive setting because it didn't happen when it was connected to my old 622.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of such a problem, and know of no setting to correct it. Obviously, some strange relationship between the Hopper and EHD. What is the make?

Are you saying that the brightness of your playback decreases after 15 minutes from the EHD, but not when playing from the internal HD or watching live?

Or is he saying if it is in PAUSE it will dim his HDTV display. The Hopper will automatically dim the output if one leaves in on a Sirius music channel for more than several minutes; that is intended as a screen saver feature.

Or still, is he referring to the light(s) on his external HDD?

It's almost as if the Hopper uses it's own internal hard drive activity to determine if it's "working". As DishSubLA mentions, and I've seen it do this, the Hopper does dim the output after "x" period of time.

I've never seen anyone else report something like this and a fair number of people use external HDDs. It's possible it was just introduced (either intentionally or unintentionally) in the latest software.

Interesting enough it was a segment of music recorded from a SiriusXM channel that was being played from the EHD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hopper will automatically dim the output if one leaves in on a Sirius music channel for more than several minutes; that is intended as a screen saver feature.
Interesting enough it was a segment of music recorded from a SiriusXM channel that was being played from the EHD.
I think you have your answer. The Hopper apparently will dim the SiriusXM channels whether they are live or recorded. I'd say it's a Feature, not a Bug.

Mine does it on Sirius too. They usually show a picture of the group while the song plays. Maybe they did this to prevent some TV's from getting "burn in", such as some Plasmas.
And owning three plasmas, I'm glad they do it...just to be safe.

Reactions: ChadT41
Mine does it on Sirius too. They usually show a picture of the group while the song plays. Maybe they did this to prevent some TV's from getting "burn in", such as some Plasmas.
EXACTLY! I am thinkful for it. While the album cover art and titles change, the rest of the screen is static and could cause burn-in for some HDTV's. I got CNN bug burn-in on one of my older and more bright HDTV's, but not on my newer HDTV's. It was so burned (Oh, I forgot, the LCD TV makers refer to it as "persistant" because it can be removed) I had to use the Disney WOW blu-ray. It took several hours, but I highly recommend the Disney WOW Blu-ray for ridding "persistant" "burnt" images on LCD's in less time than other methods. If you are lucky, it can do the job overnight, or perhaps overnight and into the day, but just a sinlge day rather than months of leaving on high action channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)