auto shut off feature

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
This has got to be the most annoying thing Dish has come up with. Right in the middle of the big play in the SuperBowl, Your reciever is being shut off due to inactivity. WTF are you crazy? I still know how to turn off my receiver with out any help from dish. This thing has been irritating me from day one. So I better ask if there is some way of disabling that function? I'm just one of those weird people that don't channel surf. I have a few channels I watch and rarely is the channel changed. So this message is seen all the time in my house.

And just now I find my manual. One quick post and it popped right out of the woodwork. And yes there is a disable button very soon to be pushed

Last edited:
Not only that, but when the receiver is off, it's not really off. With DirecTV receivers, the video output was disabled when you turned the receiver 'off'. My TV has an auto-off function, but since Dish has video output even when off, the TV never shuts off if I happen to forget to hit the TV power button. Which is complaint number three..the DirecTV remotes turn off both the receiver and TV when you hit the one and only power button.

Not only that, but when the receiver is off, it's not really off. With DirecTV receivers, the video output was disabled when you turned the receiver 'off'. My TV has an auto-off function, but since Dish has video output even when off, the TV never shuts off if I happen to forget to hit the TV power button. Which is complaint number three..the DirecTV remotes turn off both the receiver and TV when you hit the one and only power button.

Our old remotes had a single power button that shut off both. The problem with it was that people complained they did not want to turn off the TV, just the DISH Network equipment so they could watch a movie or play a console or what have you. The reason for the screen saver was also due to a complaint. People would turn the TV on and there would be no picture, which prompted a call. The screen says, at the bottom, "THE RECEIVER IS NOW OFF" so people would understand why there is no picture.

As far as the original issue, it has been answered. This reason the feature is there is so that the receiver can search for updates anytime it remains inactive for a period of time. It works in parallel with the 3AM search for the same information, including EPG. Both of these are actually meant to prevent other issues such as EPG information being outdated or software updates not happening when they are supposed to. I certainly understand the frustration but there are settings to change the time for updates (auto-shutoff at 3AM by default), change the length of time for inactivity to prompt an automatic shut-off, and disable the inactivity standby as a whole.

The "screen saver" is actually just that. Lets say you have a plasma TV that is still prone to burn-in (I can name a number of brands). You leave your TV on for 4 hours, but left 20 minutes after it was turned on. If the box did not splash the screen with the saver (which moves around to prevent that) you would have burn-in of the score or any other tickers on your screen. You might even see the channel logo stuck there regardless of what you watch. Sometimes it would be barely noticeable, but it would be there. In order to prevent the phone calls that would inevitably come from this, DISH Network proactively decided to try to help protect your TV with this feature and allow our box to get updates to prevent issues with that. IMO, that feature is a minor annoyance ( including the steps to turn the feature off) rather then the major one of ruining my TV I spent money on. It would not be covered by DISH and it would not be covered by the TV manufacturer. I really hope this clarifies why it is there.

Last edited:
When the receiver is showing the moving screen saver will all DVR timers still work?

Thanks for the reply Tony. I understand the need to build a unit for the way most people use it. I also unsderstand I'm not most people and not everything is built for my needs. And thankfully the feature is quite controllable. For me it's the "disable" mode

I like the screen saver/video output in standby as it is easy to confirm that the system is quite likely working properly as video is still being output from the box. On a few occasions, when I hadn't seen the screen saver/video out confirmation, I knew something was wrong. In my current set-up, I can tell immediately that all my TV2 RF channels are properly receiving video just by tuning to the channel and NOT having to turn-on the boxes. If I don't see the video output screen saver, then I know I have a problem. I believe this feature was also put in to provide customers with the assurance that box is indeed sending video as a kind of troubleshoot, rather then the old days of a black screen.

I personally believe this screen saver feature was put in to deter people from using Tivo's and VCRs.. To encourage the customer to get a DISH DVR and pay for that service... But what do I know.. :)

I believe the screen saver actually appears on all types of boxes at this point, and the ones without DVR have the timer still there to encourage the use of recording devices, other then the DVR. I am pretty sure the thought of both features is not to deter, but rather assist.

My primary issue with the auto shut off feature is that disabling it doesn't seem to work. I've done it on both my 722k and my 222k, and within a day or two it's back to turning itself off.

The known workaround is to set a auto-tune or VCR timer (or otherwise send some command to the box) so it "resets" for the next auto shut off time to prevent the box from going into stand by. This is easy to do. Also, set an auto-tune or VCR timer about 15 minutes after the scheduled "Updates" time to get the box back on because allowing the box to go through the "Updates" process at least a few times a week is VITAL. You will be sorry if you don't.

As TonyT said, I, too, believe these features were added to address the most common calls to CSR's regarding the legacy boxes in the old days: people NEVER shutting off the boxes preventing vital software updates, and certain (elderly or technically challenged) people being able to see IMMEDIATELY that the input or channel they have tuned to is the one to view Dish Network.

Yes, people could not find the input or channel (sometimes accidentally tuning to another channel or input) because the legacy boxes were NOT outputting any video and those folks (who really can't work their own TV very well and have NO CLUE about "Inputs" on a TV--believe me there are millions out there and it's the young people in the household who are often the techies) would call with complaints or cries for help because they have "lost" Dish Network service and would have to be guided through the process of putting the TV in the input mode (the RECALL button helps, but few use it) and checking each one or tuning to the most likely channels to the one where they watch Dish Network boxes and the "screen saver" makes it easy to see right away if they are indeed on the right input without having to turn it on. Useful features, IMHO.

The two power buttons is an UPGRADE in my opinion. Many times I am turning off the DVR to go to Blu-ray or the game console. I suppose for those who want it, Dish could make it programmable, so that it could turn off both. I think there are very few who use a Tivo with today's Dish boxes whether or not they had an auto shut-off. And don't just about all receivers have that now?

JosephB said:

Cuz we all know pushing two buttons is twice as hard as puching one. :rolleyes.

Im sorry couldn't help it.

Last edited:
The two power buttons is an UPGRADE in my opinion. Many times I am turning off the DVR to go to Blu-ray or the game console. I suppose for those who want it, Dish could make it programmable, so that it could turn off both. I think there are very few who use a Tivo with today's Dish boxes whether or not they had an auto shut-off. And don't just about all receivers have that now?

I would think so too. I actually never "turn off" the Dish DVR, just the TV.

The known workaround is to set a auto-tune or VCR timer (or otherwise send some command to the box) so it "resets" for the next auto shut off time to prevent the box from going into stand by. This is easy to do. Also, set an auto-tune or VCR timer about 15 minutes after the scheduled "Updates" time to get the box back on because allowing the box to go through the "Updates" process at least a few times a week is VITAL. You will be sorry if you don't.

I set mine to Auto tune to the morning news @ 5:am, before I get up. That way I can rewind to catch the weather and not have to wait for it. But aside from that, you can set it to 8 hours. Who watches TV w/o changing the channel for 8 hours? I don't think you need to even change the channel, just pause or hit cancel for a sec and the timer resets. Seems like a non issue to me and as others have said, if it doesn't get shut off somewhat regularly, you will have issues.

As already pointed out, the disable function does not work! Then 722 will shut off whether the function is on or disabled. I complained to Dish Tech support many years ago and it has yet to be fixed, so it is clear to me that it works the way Dish wants it to work or is that not work.

As already pointed out, the disable function does not work! Then 722 will shut off whether the function is on or disabled. I complained to Dish Tech support many years ago and it has yet to be fixed, so it is clear to me that it works the way Dish wants it to work or is that not work.

Yup. Still doing it on my 222k, just hours after I disabled it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)