Auto-Tune A Program On Both H3 And Joey

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
I did a search and did not see anything that directly focused on this. Or, if it was there, I didn't see it. Regardless, the topic is pretty self-explanatory.

Is it possible to set an auto tuner so that it executes across multiple devices in an H3 setup? i.e., I want all EPL matches on NBCSN (or FA Cup matches on FS1) to auto tune on both the main H3 as well as two of my three Joeys.

I haven't seen a way to do it... but if such a way exists, I'd love to know about it.

You'll have to make separate auto-tune timers at each location.
The auto-tune will only affect the device it was/is created on.

How exactly does one do that?

Scenario: I create an timer on my H3 to auto-tune to all new airings of Premiere League Live on NBCSN. That works fine and it does so in my family room where the H3 is located. Yay for a properly working timer.

Now if I go to do the same thing on one of my Joeys, say the one which is hooked up to my Slingbox Pro-HD, it shows that there is already a timer there (the red clock symbol). If I hit select, I get presented with "skip event", "delete series timer", "edit timer", or "see program info". If I select "edit timer", I do not get any option to choose the device that the tuner activates on.

Conclusion: I can't make a separate timer at each location because a timer already exists for that channel and the program in question. Boo!

I'm sort of surprised that I seem to be the only person who wants this functionality. But I wish it did exist, or that we at least had an option to decide which devices a timer is triggered on in the "edit timer" options. Sort of like how you can automatically set a recording to go directly to a named folder.

Reactions: Troch77
yes, just create a timer like normal then edit the options and change from either dvr/seek to autotune.
Thats an Autotune Timer, which means it will Autotune that Show every time its on.

Thats not what Autotune is exactly.

Autotune is when you can go through the guide ,manually and pick show after on different channels and it will force a tuner to each show you have setup for the day.

The Autotune Timer would need a Seperate timer for each show on each channel, and you would have to delete each timer when it was done, other wise it would repeat the same thing every day over an over. All its doing is tuning to the same show every time on its own rather than recording a timer. Which is pointless in that aspect.

I would welcome the true Autotune option adapted from the VIPs.

Scenario: I create an timer on my H3 to auto-tune to all new airings of Premiere League Live on NBCSN. That works fine and it does so in my family room where the H3 is located. Yay for a properly working timer.

Now if I go to do the same thing on one of my Joeys, say the one which is hooked up to my Slingbox Pro-HD, it shows that there is already a timer there (the red clock symbol). If I hit select, I get presented with "skip event", "delete series timer", "edit timer", or "see program info". If I select "edit timer", I do not get any option to choose the device that the tuner activates on.

Conclusion: I can't make a separate timer at each location because a timer already exists for that channel and the program in question. Boo!

I'm sort of surprised that I seem to be the only person who wants this functionality. But I wish it did exist, or that we at least had an option to decide which devices a timer is triggered on in the "edit timer" options. Sort of like how you can automatically set a recording to go directly to a named folder.
Yes. I've encountered that limitation cited in your conclusion a few times, although I can't remember the circumstances, but I do remember how FRUSRTATING it was. I don't think most people come accros this, but when I did a few , I was a bit peturbed because I had some good reason to do what it can't do once a timer has been created.

I suppose this goes in the "it would be useful feature, but most people probably don't need it, so Dish does not spend the time and $$ developing it" basket. But I could've used it at least a few times. Dish probably envisions that the DVR and each client to be used by different people rather than the same person, but in different rooms, or differnt people want to record the same show, but with different settings in the timer, so they probably just didn't bother having it work the way we sometimes we would like it to.

I also sense that Dish may see Auto Tune feature as not so important with a whole home DVR. HOWEVER, I can tell you that as a TiVo user, TiVo has no such Auto-Tune feature and that is annoying to me on several occasions. TiVo's view from day one was that the user would DVR timer everything and NEVER watch Live TV. Dish's legacy is from non-DVR boxes that NEEDED Auto Tune so that we could use our VCR's or DVD recorders as our "DVR." Well, I do PREFER watching a fair amount of TV LIVE (even if delayed) such as newscasts (and many would say sports) and if I prefer to watch some puffy live content while the deeper shows DVR in the background or even Auto Tune for the local news or live event or CNN. TiVo fanboys just say, "why would you watch Live TV" in defending that TiVo has no such Auto Tune function. LONG LIVE AUTO TUNE.

Last edited:

you are not the only person who miss this feature

not easy on the hoppers, you have to set it to record and then go back and edit it to do autotune
Are you certain? I recall making Auto Tune timers by just selecting the show and then the Timer Creation sceen pops-up and then I move over to the drop down that reads, "DVR" as default, but I just press select and other options show in the drop-down such as Auto Tune, etc. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Are you certain? I recall making Auto Tune timers by just selecting the show and then the Timer Creation sceen pops-up and then I move over to the drop down that reads, "DVR" as default, but I just press select and other options show in the drop-down such as Auto Tune, etc. Please let me know if that is not the case.
You have to Press" select", "Record," than" select" again, then go down to "Type" "select" Auto Tune.

You have to Press" select", "Record," than" select" again, then go down to "Type" "select" Auto Tune.
OK, I don't select Record or more accurately, press the Record button), I just select the program as it appears on the EPG (my Uncle always presses Record), and it takes me right to the Timer Creation screen with the immediate ability to change any of the settings, and that is from where I select Auto-Tune. Am I still wrong? :). I'm not at the TV right now, but at some point I'll double check, but I do know that there is a big differnce in experince or access to optionss between pressing the Record button and just selecting the program from the grid that automatically open all the options in the Timer Create screen. I ALWAYS want to change a setting in Timer Creation so I almost always select the show from the EPG. I consider pressing the Record button a quick and dirty approach. :) That is NOT a knock on you (or my Uncle), but just a differenc in how each person prefers to create a timer. :).

not anymore, you have to edit record, I found out by accident

not anymore, you have to edit record, I found out by accident
Hey, I am the one at fault here, I was speaking of my HWS, I finally rememberd this thread is about the H3. Sorry, but NOT sorry you shared your information. It does STINK that we can't access the timer creation screen as in the previous Hoppers. Man, I am just waiting for the DPH42 for two H3's, but I have to admit that I keep finding out how many features have been changed--NOT for the better--on the H3. Again, it is probably Dish thinking that Auto Tune is just not so relavent today.

Once again, thank you for sharing. This is another death by 1000 cuts in accepting the changes of the H3 :)

OK, I don't select Record or more accurately, press the Record button), I just select the program as it appears on the EPG (my Uncle always presses Record), and it takes me right to the Timer Creation screen with the immediate ability to change any of the settings, and that is from where I select Auto-Tune. Am I still wrong? :). I'm not at the TV right now, but at some point I'll double check, but I do know that there is a big differnce in experince or access to optionss between pressing the Record button and just selecting the program from the grid that automatically open all the options in the Timer Create screen. I ALWAYS want to change a setting in Timer Creation so I almost always select the show from the EPG. I consider pressing the Record button a quick and dirty approach. :) That is NOT a knock on you (or my Uncle), but just a differenc in how each person prefers to create a timer. :).
Hopper 3 has no record button.

You have to Press Select.
Then go to record Option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)