Automatic Carryout antenna

jpsage

Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
north west washington
So I am in Southern Calif for the winter and brought my dish dvr and Winegard Carryout with me. Fairly easy to set up. I used the web chat function to change my address and I find that I am not getting any local (Los Angeles) stations and am missing some of my HBO and Showtime channels. I am pretty sure that the person that set me up has me in the wrong location and a simple verification of my location will sort that out. But before I contact them tomorrow I thought I would ask you folks how the DVR (I only have one receiver hooked up) tells the Carryout what satellite to point to. Using the signal monitor I can select another satellite and after a couple of seconds signal will magically appear. Seeing that happen I am sure that there is signal going from the receiver to the antenna telling it what bird it wants to see but I can't find any reference to it on the WEB.

Thanks for the help.

john.

Are you looking to get the local stations for where you are at now or you want the local stations from where you actually live? Once you get out of a spot beamed area you can no longer get the local channels.

So I am in Southern Calif for the winter and brought my dish dvr and Winegard Carryout with me. Fairly easy to set up. I used the web chat function to change my address and I find that I am not getting any local (Los Angeles) stations and am missing some of my HBO and Showtime channels. I am pretty sure that the person that set me up has me in the wrong location and a simple verification of my location will sort that out. But before I contact them tomorrow I thought I would ask you folks how the DVR (I only have one receiver hooked up) tells the Carryout what satellite to point to. Using the signal monitor I can select another satellite and after a couple of seconds signal will magically appear. Seeing that happen I am sure that there is signal going from the receiver to the antenna telling it what bird it wants to see but I can't find any reference to it on the WEB.

Thanks for the help.

john.

Just to be sure, go to Menu-6-1-3 and let that run, and line G will show you what sats it sees, and if all are green.

If that checks out, when you call in, ask the agent to tell you what DMA is shown in the sidecar. If it's not Los Angeles, well, that's the problem, ask them to remove what is there, click the "Qualify for Nets" on the main page, then click the "Networks" tab, then they should get the new network popup. They may wonder how you know what will be on their screen. :) I have seen many, many accounts where a CSR will change the address, but not re-qualify for local networks, so it still has the old stored info in our "sidecar" for where you were previously.

Thank you "SomeDishGuy". I used the WEB chat function and the person on the other end was able to quickly enable my local channels using your hints. I still don't have all the channels because the "Carryout" seems to only show the HD channels on sat 129 and no SD channels at all. That means that I only see three Showtime channels. I am going to continue to play. I have seen other posts where the users said they had to keep their "Carryout" antenna plugged in so that it could tune to other satellites. That is why I asked how the antenna determined what antenna to tune to. This is still good enough for my couple of months down here this year. I only have two winters to go before I will have my RV when I "Snowbird". But that does beg the question of what antenna system to invest in for the future. I could keep my "Carryout" for the short duration stays and then have a 1000.2 antenna that would have to be manually pointed for longer stays.

I will rein myself in and quit rambling now. Thanks for the insights.

john.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)