AV receiver question???

gvsurn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Caledonia, MI
you have a satellite box that is hdmi and a dvd player that is component video and they are both run to a AV receiver. my question is do you have to run component and hdmi to your tv or can you run only hdmi for both the satellite box and dvd???

you have a satellite box that is hdmi and a dvd player that is component video and they are both run to a AV receiver. my question is do you have to run component and hdmi to your tv or can you run only hdmi for both the satellite box and dvd???

My Onkyo 674 passes Component through HDMI to my plasma.

It depends on your AV receiver. Some simply pass through the signal from the source device, while others will actually convert inputs the the HDMI, for example. This feature is still relatively new, and usually reserved for the high-end receivers.
Again, your particular receiver may support this features, but odds are it doesn't and you'll need to run both component and HDMI from the receiver to the TV. If that is the case, I would run the video cabling straight to the TV, then get a good universal remote to make things easier when switching sources ;)

I agree with the above. I would like to add that the HDMI connector is problematic at best and for the best video from your devices, component is the best, most reliable connection. But in this case (if you connect both your DVD player and satellite box via component) you will need to use either analog (red and white connectors) or digital audio (coaxial or optical). This makes for the best video and audio form your devices. There is no advantage to using HDMI for your devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)