availability

merk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I just got dish (yesterday morning). So far i like it a lot. WAY better then TWC's interface and a little better then directv's interface plus it's cheaper then directv. Although i find scheduling a recording to be a little confusing compared to scheduling a recording on directv. But considering i have more options with dish, i don't think that's unreasonable.

I looked online before ordering and settled on the vip722 - unfortunately i didn't hear about the 922 until just now. So i'm just wondering when this is expected to be available and what my options (or costs) will be if i want to upgrade to that when it comes out.

thanks

maybe April 1st, my question is should i keep my DHPP or cancel it. don't you get some kind of free shipping or something with DHPP when the 922 is released?

hmm - so if it comes out within the month, do you know if i can upgrade to that for free since i just signed up for service yesterday?

hmm - so if it comes out within the month, do you know if i can upgrade to that for free since i just signed up for service yesterday?

I doubt that they will let you upgrade for free. If you really want the 922, you might have to cancel your current order and re-sign after it is available. I would hope they would still treat you as a new customer, but am not sure whether they would or not. Probably will be a $200 charge for the 922 as a new customer.

Added later. It is not clear if you have been installed already or not. If you are already installed, I don't think you can cancel.

bleh - not the answer i was hoping for :)
I'll try calling them later - maybe if suggest i might cancel they'll give it to me for free or offer some sort of discount for it for when it comes out.

bleh - not the answer i was hoping for :)
I'll try calling them later - maybe if suggest i might cancel they'll give it to me for free or offer some sort of discount for it for when it comes out.

No one is going to get it for free.

I doubt that they will let you upgrade for free. If you really want the 922, you might have to cancel your current order and re-sign after it is available. I would hope they would still treat you as a new customer, but am not sure whether they would or not. Probably will be a $200 charge for the 922 as a new customer.

Added later. It is not clear if you have been installed already or not. If you are already installed, I don't think you can cancel.

You qualify for an upgrade every 12 months but, sometimes you can get it sooner. The longer you've been a customer the better, DHPP better still, higher monthly bill better, especially if someone is looking at your account to make that decision. My Sprint cell service works in a similar fashion.

If you cancel you have to wait 12 months to come back unless you buy everything outright. Sometime that can be overlooked too. But you might be shooting yourself in the foot.

If you suggest that you might cancel, they'll dutifully inform you of the consequences related to the 24 month programming commitment that you recently entered into.

BTW, according to Charlie on his chat last night, the ViP922 will probably hit the streets around April 9th.

What is DHPP?

As for canceling - i only just signed up 2 days ago. I thought i had 14 days before i'm locked into the contract? Are new customers going to get the 922 under the same deal they currently offer the 722 ?

If i want to pay to upgrade, any idea on what the cost will be?

What is DHPP?

As for canceling - i only just signed up 2 days ago. I thought i had 14 days before I'm locked into the contract? Are new customers going to get the 922 under the same deal they currently offer the 722 ?

If i want to pay to upgrade, any idea on what the cost will be?

Sorry DHPP in now named "Service Plan" and that is what it is an in-home service plan with service calls for $15 among other perks. I meant that for zinc's question, you (merk) should have it free for 6 months.

Also I've never heard of 14 days to cancel and the poor guy that installed it gets the shaft if you cancel now.

The 922 is a Premium DVR and I would be shocked if they offer it free for anyone for the first 6-12 months. 1 terabyte drive + sling loaded + high demand will set the price.

Its had many delays and I wouldn't count on it being out until someone gets in installed in their house.

Yeah they gave me the service plan for free for a few months - thinking of canceling it once the free trial is over. I'll dbl check the contract to see if i am mistaken about the 14 days.

What do you mean by the guy who installed it gets the shaft?

I suppose it's somewhat moot since I'm not actually going to cancel it - i was just considering using it as a bluff to possibly get them to give me the 922. The 722 is pretty good anyway so it's not the end of the world if i have to wait for the 922. So far I like the 722 better then the box from directv - it's much faster and i think it has more recording space as well. Interface is a bit more complicated but i prefer more complicated/more options to less complicated/less options. And it's 100x better then the piece of crap dvr that TWC gives. Talk about the stone age.

thanks

Merk, I am also sitting on the fence right now, wondering if I should switch from Comcrap to Dish - the only thing holding me back is the desire to get the 922; but I am not sure if the additional cost will be worth it - particularly, if all I would be getting is Sling-capability....

any comparison between the 722 and 922?

cheers, Punda

Wait for the full review before buying. I think your going to want one, but I want to review it on release software not beta software. :)

punda - in the past few days i've had directv, time warner cable and dish. I've had directv for just about 2 years. TWC i've had for about 3-4 weeks and dish i've had 2 days.

So far i think dish is the best value. The pricing is about the same as TWC and the only thing i'm getting from TWC is showtime for free for 2 years. DIsh is giving me showtime and hbo for free but only for 3 months. They both include a 2nd tv. Although the 2nd tv with dish is standard def - it's an extra $7/mo or so if i want the 2nd tv to be HD as well.

As far as the DVR/set top box itself goes - TWC is in the stone age. The interface looks like crap, you can't limit what channels are displayed in the guide. Directv is better then TWC and i think dish is better then directv. Looks like you get more recording space on dish and the interface is much faster. The interface/setup is a bit more complicated though and takes a little getting used to.

I haven't used comcast so i dont know what they provide. But so far, for my 2 days with dish, i like it way better then TWC and a little better then directv - plus they are cheaper then directv and will be cheaper even after the promo pricing expires.

Merk, thanks for your input. I also think generally, the dish will be better: I have had DirectTV before -- about 4 years ago, and really liked it compared to Comcast at the time. So I expect my experience with Dish to be similar.

What services are you using for internet -- still with TWC? I still have to keep Comcast cable and possibly phone for about $87 per month, and then add about $65 (American Top250 HD + DVR) service.

But overall, i still think it is worth it. Can you take advantage of other promotions within the 2-year promotion period or one is stuck on the original?

cheers, Punda

I'm using TWC for internet and i'm happy with it. i think i pay around $45-$50/mo for it. I picked their higher speed package though. i dont have phone service - cell phone is enough for me. If i were you, i'd look into something like ooma - pay a onetime fee and get unlimited calling. Sort of like magic jack.

I'm not getting the top250 - getting the top 200 from dish with HD/DVR - promo pricing is around $47/mo i think. I'll be paying around $100/mo together for internet from twc and tv from dish - saving me about $40/mo compared to directv ($20/mo after the promo pricing expires)

yeah, my unbundled services are: internet alone - $67 and internet+phone - $87. I am thinking of getting a Magic Jack, and cut out the regular phone expenses. I will look into Ooma too.

I'm using TWC for internet and i'm happy with it. i think i pay around $45-$50/mo for it. I picked their higher speed package though. i dont have phone service - cell phone is enough for me. If i were you, i'd look into something like ooma - pay a onetime fee and get unlimited calling. Sort of like magic jack.

I'm not getting the top250 - getting the top 200 from dish with HD/DVR - promo pricing is around $47/mo i think. I'll be paying around $100/mo together for internet from twc and tv from dish - saving me about $40/mo compared to directv ($20/mo after the promo pricing expires)

You mean OOMA and Vonage are the same. Magic jack is not like those 2. Magic jack you have to have it plugged into a computer and your computer turned on. OOMA and Vonage are stand alone boxes hooked up to your router and dont reguire your computer on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts