Avenger PLL321S-2 LNBF Oddity?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Back in April I put into service 2 PLL LNBFs. One on the 33” dish pointing at 30W and the other on the 25” pointed at 97W.
Didn’t notice much if any change on the 33” dish, the Q only changed a bit higher.

The 25” dish did benefit the most from the PLL. It picked up 2 additional TPs and also some marginal channel were now rock steady.

Since then I re-installed my Stab motor with the PLL LNB from the 25” dish onto a Fortec 31” dish.
Here’s the interesting part. I blind scanned 97W and the S9 got every TP available and about 4 extra TPs not listed in the Lyngsat or Sathint sites. After some research I discovered they additional TPs were from 99W.
Likewise when I blind scanned 99W there appeared a number of TPs from 97W.
Also spill over of TPs when blind scanning other sats.

So I removed the PLL and put the Invacom QPH-031 on and rescanned 97w. Adjacent sat TPs did not appear. Also rescanned 97w with a GT-LST40c LNBF and it also did not scan in adjacent sat TPs.

Has anyone else observed a similar effect with or without a PLL LNBF?

Recommended solution: use a larger dish to avoid spillover signal. ;)
...or maybe the 31" could use a little more fine tuning? :up

It sounds like the PLL321S-2 is more sensitive and is locking onto even the weak tp signals from adjacent sats. Before installing mine, I noticed this occasionally where I got tps scanned in from adjacent sats. I don't remember details. Haven't had this happen lately.

Recommended solution: use a larger dish to avoid spillover signal. ;)
...or maybe the 31" could use a little more fine tuning? :up

This only happens with the PLL LNBF. As cyberham noted they are more sensitive. My solution was to delete the duplicate TPs.
I don't want to tweak the dish anymore cus its tracking the arc really well and I don't want to risk messing it up!

Heck of a Testimonial for the product

I can just see DMSI and SatAV's next advertising slogan:
"Warning! So good it even gets adjacent birds. " - :up ;)
I've always recommended real 36" dishes for Ku, even though smaller often gets by.
Especially for newbies. People with experience know and deal with the pitfalls.
I'm just LMAO with this "problem". :)

I can just see DMSI and SatAV's next advertising slogan:
"Warning! So good it even gets adjacent birds. " - :up ;)
I've always recommended real 36" dishes for Ku, even though smaller often gets by.
Especially for newbies. People with experience know and deal with the pitfalls.
I'm just LMAO with this "problem". :)

Is it really a problem? 2 sats with 1 LNBF. And if you could aim a dish between 2 sats, voila!
Maybe thats my next project, motor the dish 1º to the right of 97w and rescan.

This may start a whole trend in the FTA hobby. LOL

?Well, my mistake. SatAV (Brian) has -talked about- a new PLL C band LNBF coming out some time soon.
Preliminary details here: http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/
?.
Another item I haven't heard much about lately, is a dual output Standard PLL LNBF for Ku.
I'm very anxious for that, as well.
;)

Don't hold your breath on the dual output KU. He's said he has no intention to make them. Even this new C-band PLL isn't a dual, so can't be run through a switch for multiple receivers. That really narrows the market down on it's value.

Satellite AV SL2PLL Ku-band Standard LO Dual output is currently in production at the factory and should be available around November, 2013.

Technology has moved forward and we were presented with a new solution from our manufacturing partner and we have developed a dual output PLL with only 135mA draw. The high current draw of the previous samples had created too much heat and affected performance. The SL2PLL has excellent performance and is a step forward in performance. It will be offered with the same lifetime warranty as the SL1PLL!

Back to topic.
In S9 created a sat called NEW at 94W.
Aimed 31” dish at 94W.
Blind scanned NEW sat.
Came up with the following TPs:
From 95W;
11781 H
12050 H
12057 V

From 93W;
11911 V
12004 V

Also TP 11849 V which doesn’t belong to 93 or 95.

Receiver only locked onto 11 channels from 95.

Even though the 2 TPs from 93 had Q of 60+ receiver would not lock onto any channels.

Interesting exercise but probably 2 LNBFs on the dish would do a better job.

Agreed with previous posts... The combination of an undersized dish that is not 2 degree compliant with the PLL increased signal abilities results in picking up signals that would not be possible with a dish that was 2 degree compliant and a LNBF that had lower performance. In this example, it works to your advantage, but in most situations where the adjacent satellite has a conflicting signal, the desired signal might have severe interference and prevent reception.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)