AZBox Elite HD - What to do with a Shiny New Toy

I might take you up on that offer, I need to go to the Northshore sometime soon. I'd hate to buy a $250+ box sight unseen. I'm a bit tied up with a C-Band project (as in I project that I'll have C-Band by the end of the month ;) )... Going to start off with a portable 6 footer (like Iceberg's) then plant the 7.5' Perfect 10 over the "winter"...

I might take you up on that offer, I need to go to the Northshore sometime soon. I'd hate to buy a $250+ box sight unseen. I'm a bit tied up with a C-Band project (as in I project that I'll have C-Band by the end of the month ;) )... Going to start off with a portable 6 footer (like Iceberg's) then plant the 7.5' Perfect 10 over the "winter"...

I told ya to LMK if ya need help with it, hardhead....did ya find pipe?

Have a line on a pipe (actually, another dish on a very high pipe, which I could cut up and use for 2-3 ground level poles). The dish I'm looking at is either another Perfect 10 or a Winegard 10 footer. For the immediate future, though, its going to have to be a portable 6-footer on a pallet and building blocks :) ...

the azbox is a wonderful machine. Well worth the 285 I spent on it :)

Love watching the 4:2:2 and HD feeds on it

Ice,

Even with the glitches that this AZBox has, I like it very much. I love my Coolsat 5K and the Fortec Star Dynamic, However, this box competes with them very well. This box is a keeper indeed!

After some bad luck with others and being very skeptical with this one, I have found myself loving this box immensely. Even without the blind scan capabilities, this is a great machine!

I am eagerly awaiting the imnprovements and I am very optimistic that they will arrive soon. I see that this box'es popularity is growing by leaps and bounds and I am happy to see it do so.

The Coolsat 4K, 5K and 6K were special in their own rite, too! I know a good box when I see one... And this is one of them!

RADAR

the azbox is a wonderful machine. Well worth the 285 I spent on it :)

Love watching the 4:2:2 and HD feeds on it

Just couldn't stand on the side anymore...............just bought one for $260 and should be arriving in a couple of days!:D

thanks stogie5150 iceberg & all the members for the input and the fine review

on the Azbox :up

Just couldn't stand on the side anymore...............just bought one for $260 and should be arriving in a couple of days!:D

Thanks Billion. You two guys will love the azbox. Its a little quirky and it takes a little getting used to but its the best all around box I have used since I've done this. It really can do more than my feeble mind can wrap around. :cool:

You two keep us updated, and let us know if we can help. :up

I still have a couple of questions.

Was any one able to get the ATSC tuner?

and

Did the HD recording issue get resolved in any of the updates?

I too have just pulled the trigger on one of these and will be getting it late in the week. I will be following the setup from Lak7 in post #3. What is the consensus on the firmware right now. I don't think I will attach a HDD until I get familiar with the box.

I don't think there's a consensus on the firmware. 9.2880 is working for me. Certainly you don't want the original firmware, unless you bought if from Rick, who will have a stable version in it already.
9.2880, at least , has a compatible editor.
:)

I too have just pulled the trigger on one of these and will be getting it late in the week. I will be following the setup from Lak7 in post #3. What is the consensus on the firmware right now. I don't think I will attach a HDD until I get familiar with the box.
A lot has changed since the early Firmware, upon receiving immediately update to at least 2880.
Then set up and see if you need to go to that extreme.
If you update the AZ Box via internet connection, you need to re-setup that info after the update.
Also, in the AZ Settings Menu (Network Connection) you need to turn FTP to Enable to get the Editor to connect.
Again, my post #3 may be outdated info.

Lak,

I will use post #3 as a guide rather than bible. What is a good source for the firmware? Are they supposed to be forty some megabytes? I think I will start with 2880 and see how that works. I see a lot of people using that.

Yes, 45 Megs.
Will you be connecting the AZ Box to the internet? That's the easiest way to update.
Otherwise, factory firms can be downloaded from this link...
azupd.com/0.9.2880/patch.bin
azupd.com/0.9.3501/patch.bin

azupd.com/0.9."Firmware Number"/patch.bin

I've been using 0.9.3501 for the last 2 weelk, so far no major flaws with it.

I will probably download them and install from hard drive on computer or usb stick. I will hook AZBox to the network to have that option. I have Wildblue internet and is not the fastest and has tendency to go out. You can forget it during rain. Will try some of the internet options too, but have to watch the bandwidth limit. Thanks for the links.

I will probably download them and install from hard drive on computer or usb stick. I will hook AZBox to the network to have that option. ....

I'm not aware of a way to install from "hard drive on computer", although I may have missed that option. If you download to computer, the usb thumb drive is fine, and you don't need to connect the Azbox to network for that. I have Wild Blue too, and have same issues, which is why I would never consider downloading direct to Azbox. Don't want to have firmware half loaded and then have WildBlue go out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)