AZBox HD Premium HDD

Two things wrong with your line of thinking: First, Iceberg tried it with a Linux-formatted drive and it still broke up the files; second, if you're going to burn anything to DVD you're going to need to transcode it anyway.

Yep I tried both FAT32 (which is what the drive was originally) and Linux and it broke the file up in both cases. Its a 3GB max. World Harvest must have more bit rate than the Sioux game as WHT was 48 minute segment

I guess with videoredo or something like that you could fix it and maybe make it one file.

Note: If you format your hard drive using the AZBox it will be formatted in Ext3 Linux format., I am told.
already did...post is above

Also, check out the "RESERVE RECORD/PLAY" function in the detail menu. Here you can select to record for up to 24 hours! You can find this feature if you press the menu button to the upper left of the OK button (just under the record button). This feature also allows you to record a channel on a different sat then is currently being viewed as it will drive the motor to the sat where the recording is to take place.

I hit record to record then hit the record button again and you can edit how long it will record by adding 10 minutes at a time then hit "extend"

Heh... you didn't understand what I was saying. Let me clear up the line of thinking:

I meant that the receiver is breaking up the files, regardless of formatting. I would imagine it's for easy burning to DVD LATER. Not transcoding to burner.

I was just speculating as to why it's breaking it up. It could also just be that FAT32 is the most popular free file format, and it has a limit of around 4GB. So all capable PVR devices are going to break the file up, regardless of what formatting is available or used.

Clear now?

But the Visionsat receiver I had before didnt break it up into segments. It was one file

so its a software issue of the azbox

But the Visionsat receiver I had before didnt break it up into segments. It was one file

so its a software issue of the azbox
FYI
I didn't play too much with recording, just recorded 'Nature' in HD on internal HD ( ext3). There is only one (.ts) file 6.7 GB + some .idx and .pvr files.

interesting

I recorded 3 programs now (2 sporting events...one other show) and all broke it up into segments

elite HD (not premium) using most current software

I reformatted the drive back to fat32. I'd rather keep it as fat32 because then I can use it on my computer as a backup drive

Yep I tried both FAT32 (which is what the drive was originally) and Linux and it broke the file up in both cases. Its a 3GB max. World Harvest must have more bit rate than the Sioux game as WHT was 48 minute segment

I guess with videoredo or something like that you could fix it and maybe make it one file.

Iceberg said:
I reformatted the drive back to fat32. I'd rather keep it as fat32 because then I can use it on my computer as a backup drive

VideoReDo should put them back together OK. I've done it with similar files, although it took a bit of manipulation and confusion since I seldom read manuals. My other PVR receivers (Coolsat 8100 & Diamond 9000) both save broken up files. To get big single files, I use TSREADER with one of my PCI card receivers. However I recently found out that if I saved to a FAT32 drive, even TSREADER quits when it gets to the 4 GB limit.

It's good to know that the Linux format breaks it up too. I agree that it's much more convenient to have the disk as FAT32, particularly if there is no advantage, however I'm curious about maybe the Linux format might possibly be faster.
There is a recent post over in the Rick Caylor forum in the Azbox Elite HD thread, message # 707, where a fellow asks for comparison of speed calculations using a linux command. It might be interesting to try this with a FAT32 drive vs a Linux drive.
I HAD a FAT32 drive on my box, but recently experimented with an old "dead" drive by letting the Azbox format it in Linux format, and I tried the command mentioned in msg 707, ie:
MMP[~]$ hdparm -tT /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 4.21 seconds = 30.41 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 9.78 seconds = 6.54 MB/sec
MMP[~]$
The above was on an old Maxtor 80 GB drive formatted as Linux.
Might be interesting to see how a FAT32 drive compares.

But unless it's much faster, I don't see much reason then to bother with the Linux format, at least with the external drives used on the Elete.

I'm curious too about you saying that you reverted to FAT32 after trying the Linux format? Someone else posted something on this or the other forum, about not being able to go back to FAT32 after being in the Linux format, so I guess that it IS possible? The reason I'm curious, is that I had 2 working drives, that something happened to to kill them. Windows couldn't format them, and I couldn't even format them in DOS, but I WAS able to format them with the Azbox. Actually, it's possible that the reason they were "dead" is that I might have previously formatted them with the Azbox.... I can't remember. But if you were able to go back to FAT32 after being in Linux format, I guess that it wasn't the Linux format that killed them (could be the fact that they fell off a table onto a hardwood floor). Unless the linux drives prove to be much faster, I may try to see if I can re-format the drives back to FAT32 now that they have been rescued by the Azbox formatting?

Finally, I wanted to repeat something I mentioned in a post quite a while ago. And that is, that when transferring BIG files from a TIVO to a PC, I WAS able to exceed the 4 GB FAT32 limit. I was able to create files that were around 10 GB. Only problem was that the computer wasn't able to determine how big they were, so it led to some very wierd behavior when trying to play the video. But the video DID play.

i flipped back and forth linux to fat32 fat32 to linux may times with a newer sata HD.
but lost a older ire(or what ever they called those ones before sata.) western digital trying to bring it back to fat32 from linux. i would not try using the older HD's if you value them.

I have a premium using the latest firmware.I recorded 7gb on linux and it is all one file.

I have a premium using the latest firmware.I recorded 7gb on linux and it is all one file.

Wildboys,

What firmware image are you using? You state the latest, but is that 3501? Or 328X something???

I have a premium model also and no matter what I record, it always stops at 3GB. That may be +/- some variance, but the AZBox displays it as exactly 3.0 GB on the screen. I have tried with every firmware issued including all the beta versions available at present.

I have found 2 hours 58 minutes and some odd seconds for one SD recording and as short at 40 some minutes for an HD recording, but both stop at 3GB.

RADAR

Wildboys,

What firmware image are you using? You state the latest, but is that 3501? Or 328X something???

I have a premium model also and no matter what I record, it always stops at 3GB. That may be +/- some variance, but the AZBox displays it as exactly 3.0 GB on the screen. I have tried with every firmware issued including all the beta versions available at present.

I have found 2 hours 58 minutes and some odd seconds for one SD recording and as short at 40 some minutes for an HD recording, but both stop at 3GB.

RADAR
I am using firmware 0.9.2880.It does not break the
files up.It records in one file.

Saw a website that sells 8PSK addon for the Azbox Elite and Premium, I thought this was already built in?? And same site also says that the Premium is Turbo 8psk builtin?? Huh??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts