AZBox Internet Connection Problems?

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Noticed some time back that the clock wasn't keeping time? Since I was able to connect to it VIA FTP I didn't think anything of it until today. Got to checking and still can't get the time to update and get an error message stating that "Time Synchronization Failed"? So I did some checking and neither YouTube nor the browser will connect to the internet BUT, I can go into the internet section in "Settings" and it will connect and show me the data transfer rate??

I'm sure that it's just some setting that isn't right but I haven't been able to find out which one it is. Any suggestions?

Noticed some time back that the clock wasn't keeping time? Since I was able to connect to it VIA FTP I didn't think anything of it until today. Got to checking and still can't get the time to update and get an error message stating that "Time Synchronization Failed"? So I did some checking and neither YouTube nor the browser will connect to the internet BUT, I can go into the internet section in "Settings" and it will connect and show me the data transfer rate??

I'm sure that it's just some setting that isn't right but I haven't been able to find out which one it is. Any suggestions?

LoneGunman,

What do you have for your Time Synchronization URL? Check it here:

SETTINGS > LANGUAGE/TIME > AUTO SYNCHRONIZE > INTERNET > EDIT URL (green button)

It should be: time.mit.edu and the source should be set to INTERNET and not MANUAL or TP. If it is set to MANUAL or TP then it won't update well. MANUAL won't update at all, except by you and TP updates may be questionable.

If this is correct, then you are possibly not getting a good internet connection at all times.

RADAR

Last edited:
YUP, time is set to that and it's set to "Internet" but still get the same results. I even changed it to the one Windows computers use to update but that didn't work either so I changed it back.

Please note that I'm on firmware 5020 and even YouTube videos won't show up when I go there and neither will the Browser connect to the AZBox website home page.

My internet connection is used by 4 other computers on my network and works fine on all those. All my computers and the AZBox connect to an MBR-1000 Cradlepoint router that uses an air card for internet. As I said, the computers connect to the internet fine so there's no reason to think there is a problem with that.

When I go to AZBox "Settings" then to "Internet" then to "Speed Check" I get speed numbers of 1796127K bps. One question about this page though is there are no numbers in the DNS1 or DNS2 lines? Shouldn't at least one of those be the same as the IP of the router instead of all zeros?

In AZBox "Network Services" window I have FTP server, File Server and Telnet Server as "Enabled" with the other two disabled.

EDIT: OK, so that DNS1 was changed to the Gateway IP address and now it works so somewhere along the way that number got erased, probably on a firmware update and that's the reason it wouldn't connect. It's working now so I'm good to go.

Oh, and thanks for your reply!!

Last edited:
YUP, time is set to that and it's set to "Internet" but still get the same results. I even changed it to the one Windows computers use to update but that didn't work either so I changed it back.

Please note that I'm on firmware 5020 and even YouTube videos won't show up when I go there and neither will the Browser connect to the AZBox website home page.

My internet connection is used by 4 other computers on my network and works fine on all those. All my computers and the AZBox connect to an MBR-1000 Cradlepoint router that uses an air card for internet. As I said, the computers connect to the internet fine so there's no reason to think there is a problem with that.

When I go to AZBox "Settings" then to "Internet" then to "Speed Check" I get speed numbers of 1796127K bps. One question about this page though is there are no numbers in the DNS1 or DNS2 lines? Shouldn't at least one of those be the same as the IP of the router instead of all zeros?

In AZBox "Network Services" window I have FTP server, File Server and Telnet Server as "Enabled" with the other two disabled.

EDIT: OK, so that DNS1 was changed to the Gateway IP address and now it works so somewhere along the way that number got erased, probably on a firmware update and that's the reason it wouldn't connect. It's working now so I'm good to go.

Oh, and thanks for your reply!!

Lone Gunman,

Excellent! That would have been one of my suspicions.

Here is some further information, if needed in the future.

In the NETWORK SERVICE menu, I have the SSHD and the Dynamic DNS options also ENABLED.

I have the Premium Plus AZBox and am using the WiFi so:

Network is set to WIFI
IP setting is selected as STATIC
The IP Address is what I assigned to my AZBox
The SUBNET MASK is set to 255.255.255.0
The GATEWAY is set to my routers IP address
DNS1 is set to my WildBlue providers gateway IP
DNS2 is set to default / I have basically ignored it

Here is one trick I have found... I connect the AZBox with a WIRED Ethernet cable and test the connection there, then I switch it back to WiFi and ask it to connect, then it will prompt me to enter the pass code for my router's security feature. I have found that if it loses the WiFi connection, there is no prompt to reenter the pass code unless you switch back and forth in this method. This prevented me from getting properly connected as it would pass the router's security as it had, I assume, forgotten the pass code and security type used.

I would ensure that your DNS1 address is matched to your internet provider's gateway IP. I am suspecting that you are getting a response from the speed check only because it sees the router, but it isn't getting beyond that point for some other reason.

Also, I set my AZBox up with STATIC IP addressing and configured my router to NOT use DHCP so that it would not try to assign a random IP address to my AZBox. I was instructed to do this early on because it may otherwise lose communications between the two. I don't know how necessary this was, but it has been working flawlessly for me ever since with this configuration.

RADAR

Lone Gunman,

Excellent! That would have been one of my suspicions.

Here is some further information, if needed in the future.

In the NETWORK SERVICE menu, I have the SSHD and the Dynamic DNS options also ENABLED.

I have the Premium Plus AZBox and am using the WiFi so:

Network is set to WIFI
IP setting is selected as STATIC
The IP Address is what I assigned to my AZBox
The SUBNET MASK is set to 255.255.255.0
The GATEWAY is set to my routers IP address
DNS1 is set to my WildBlue providers gateway IP
DNS2 is set to default / I have basically ignored it

Here is one trick I have found... I connect the AZBox with a WIRED Ethernet cable and test the connection there, then I switch it back to WiFi and ask it to connect, then it will prompt me to enter the pass code for my router's security feature. I have found that if it loses the WiFi connection, there is no prompt to reenter the pass code unless you switch back and forth in this method. This prevented me from getting properly connected as it would pass the router's security as it had, I assume, forgotten the pass code and security type used.

I would ensure that your DNS1 address is matched to your internet provider's gateway IP. I am suspecting that you are getting a response from the speed check only because it sees the router, but it isn't getting beyond that point for some other reason.

Also, I set my AZBox up with STATIC IP addressing and configured my router to NOT use DHCP so that it would not try to assign a random IP address to my AZBox. I was instructed to do this early on because it may otherwise lose communications between the two. I don't know how necessary this was, but it has been working flawlessly for me ever since with this configuration.

RADAR
Good explanation, RADAR.

Some routers and problaly all now , will allow you to still use DHCP and set a specific set of addresses only for DHCP, like 10 to 250 for DHCP and then the first 8 from 02 to 09 can still be STATIC. you do not necesarilly have to disable DHCP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)