AZBox Premium HD + and Western Digital 1TB WD10EARS

acadiancowboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 10, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I received a brand new Western Digital 1TB WD10EARS hard drive from amazom.com and installed it in my AZBox Premium HD +. I removed the top cover, installed the hard drive in the carriage, plugged the combined SATA data and power cable, then put the cover back on. When my AZBox booted, I went to the Data Storage menu to format the drive, but the screen indicates that there is "None" for any storage.

I took the box apart this morning and checked... the hard drive was spinning and definitely warm, so it is getting power. All connections appear snug.

So my questions are:

1) Do I need to do anything to this hard drive before putting it in the AZBox? Any jumpers to install? (there are none in the jumper block on the back of the hard drive)
2) Should the AZBox automatically detect this internal hard drive? Is it really as simple as plugging it in them formatting it?

Thanks in advance.

acadiancowboy,

I have been searching for a list of compatible HDDs for the AZBox. I know there is one out there (in English) as I have seen it, but I am having a tough time relocating it again.

I did find this resource, if you can translate it. Interne Festplatten Here, it appears that your HDD is compatible, but there are some notes attached. I'll keep looking for more information (hopefully in English).

Try the menu power down options (press the power button on the remote just once and select the power down procedure you want to test). Using the menu options here, try the REBOOT (which is a soft reboot) and the TURN SYSTEM OFF (which is a hard reboot where you will cut the rear switch when prompted). Don't just press and hold the power button on the remote until the box reboots and don't simply just flip the rear power switch OFF.

I found a couple of owners who stated that they had to do a HARD REBOOT followed by SOFT REBOOT before the HDD was identified and then you can let the AZBox format it. If and when you get to the format point, don't be alarmed if your TV screen goes completely blank during the process for a long time. This might unnerve you, but it is normal.

RADAR

Thanks for replying guys. I finally got it to work by putting a jumper on pins 5-6. The AZBox now recognizes it, and I was able to format it and do some recording tests, and it all seemed to work fine.

I believe the jumper forces the drive into SATA 1.5 mode.

Thanks for replying guys. I finally got it to work by putting a jumper on pins 5-6. The AZBox now recognizes it, and I was able to format it and do some recording tests, and it all seemed to work fine.

I believe the jumper forces the drive into SATA 1.5 mode.

Acadiancowboy,

Did you get that notion from the link I posted? I wanted to mention that, but since I could not translate the notes, I wasn't sure if it had a bearing on the subject or not.

Glad it is running! Now, we need to keep this information at hand somehow so that we can keep it readily available to others. Anyone able to translate the page that I posted?

RADAR

I have the same HDD in my AZBox Ultra. I had no problems with it recognizing it when I first put it in and formatted it, but nine times out of ten the drive is not recognized when the AZBox is first (cold) booted up (it could be that the drive is not finished its initialization when the AZBox checks for a HDD, and then the AZBox doesn't check again). Then a soft REBOOT is all that is needed for the drive to be found (which is no big deal). Works well other than that.

The same just happened to me. Just got a SATA HD in the mail today, and nothing happened after I put it in. Tried a soft reboot, and guess what? It read it, and it's formatting as I type! Thanks, guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)