AZBOX PREMIUM HD FAILS WI-FI

vpaniyan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
US
I have a new AZBOX Premium HD.
The unit fails to commuicate on WI-FI. There is a message - Failed connect. Try again.
I tried static IP and DHCP - no luck.
I tried: 802.11b, g, and n with WPA-PSK - no luck.
The wireless router works for two laptops and NAS with no problem.
AZBOX shows a strong signal for my wireless router.

Any ides?

Vpaniyan,

Try this trick.

First ensure that all options in the NETWORK SERVICE menu are ENABLED.
Connect your AZBox directly to the router using an Ethernet cable.
Select WIRED with DHCP and run SETUP.
If this is successful, write down the IP address, SUBNET, GATEWAY and DNS1 and DNS2 information.
Reboot the receiver and come back to this menu and run the SPEED CHECK.
If this successfully connects and shows a good speed indication and .....

Disconnect the Ethernet cable and...

Doublecheck the IP address and ensure that it is not in conflict with any other wireless device or your PCs.
If it is, simply change the last number in the last set of digits to another number that is not identical to any other devices IP.

Switch to Wi-Fi and STATIC IP.
Enter all the data exactly as you recorded it from the earlier step.
Run the SETUP again.
If it detects more than one wireless source, ensure that it is your router that you select.
Enter your pass code for whatever encryption mode you may have set up. The mode should be auto-deteced.
It should setup or connect successfully, but don't run the speed check yet.
Reboot the receiver again and then come back and run the SPEED CHECK.

If this shows a successful result, then double check by going to the LANGUAGE/TIME menu.
At the AUTO-SYNCHRONIZE line, select INTERNET and pess OK.

If your internet connection is truly working properly, the time will be successfully synchronized with the time.mit.edu clock.
That URL is exactly what should be displayed if you click on the green button to EDIT URL.

I hope this works for you.

RADAR

Radar,

I have same problem with the cable - "Connection failed. Try again".
But the cable connection is good - laptop works ok.
By the way, the unit fails to keep time.
After recycling power, time switches to am09:00 01/01/00.
Auto synchronization is set to "Manual"
Also, if I set up a static IP address the unit losing it after I leave the "Internet" menu, but keeps DNS1 and DNS2 values.

Any more ideas?

vpaniyan

other than load latest firmware and try again, no idea. mine fails if I disable the SSID broadcast on my wireless router but other than that it connect to the internet wireless or wired just fine using DHCP or Static. Maybe the firmware is corrupted on yours or the hardware?, but lets hope it is software.

Vpaniyan,

It does not really sound like a hardware issue. It could very well be a corrupted firmware file and that is what I suspect at this point.
I would perform a FORMAT APPLICATION AREA and upgrade to the latest firmware (I would use 0.9.5020 at this time as I know this is trusted).
Even if your unit has this version installed already, it may be corrupt so it should be reinstalled in this manner.

NOTE: If you installed the firmware yourself previously, don't reuse the version you currently have downloaded on your PC. Download a fresh copy of the 0.9.5020 firmware.

Follow the instructions in the STICKY at the top of the page for using a USB stick to do this.

RADAR

Last edited:
Radar,

I have the receiver brand new from the box with this problem.
I didn't update firmware.
The firmware version is 0.9.2238 TD210SP.

vpaniyan

Radar,

Per AZBOX guide, I can download latest firmware from AZBOX.COM.
I don't see firmware download on AZBOX.COM.
Where you download latest firmware from?

vpaniyan

Radar,

Per AZBOX guide, I can download latest firmware from AZBOX.COM.
I don't see firmware download on AZBOX.COM.
Where you download latest firmware from?

vpaniyan

Vpaniyan,

Your firmware is very old, that might be the problem itself.

The simplest way to obtain the firmware is by using MAZEdit 3.0.0 In the mid section of the main home panel it will show you the OFFICIAL / DAILY and KGD firmwares available.
I don't know what the KGD firmwares are, but I have heard that they are not recommended.

Locate the firmware you desire and highlight it. Click on the green arrow at the top of this center panel and it will start downloading the selected firmware to the file location you select.

The other method is to enter this URL address in your browser address bar: az.evg33.ru and go to the site directly. At the bottom of the page you will see the two options to locate Firmware 4 AZBox or Enigma 4 AZBox. Click on the Firmware 4 AZBox and find the firmware you want in the list and click on it to download.

Don't go to the ENIGMA area for your download. I am not sure if those files are standard firmware or some modification of them for the ENIGMA.

RADAR

Last edited:
Guys,

Since WI-FI and Ethernet out of order, I can't do any backups.
Does it mean that I'll loose all satellites information that already there?

vpaniyan

what do you mean? , all you need is USB functionallity, and it works on yours , no?. Download software into USB key and then load it onto Azbox. that simple. use stargaze links.

hd fan,

AZBOX out of the box has list of satellites.
Does it mean I'll loose this data?

vpaniyan

hd fan,

AZBOX out of the box has list of satellites.
Does it mean I'll loose this data?

vpaniyan

Vpaniyan,

You won't lose the factory list of satellites no matter what you do here.

If you simply upload the new updated firmware, you won't even lose any channels that you might have scanned or satellites that you might have added.
However, if you perform the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA, you would lose your personalized settings and any sats/chs that you added. It will return the box to factory settings as it would be if it came with the software you are going to install.

If the box is virtually brand new, you probably haven't done too much in the way of customizing your lists yet. So, don't worry too much about that yet. The main objective here is to get your network functions operational. You won't ever be able to use this box properly if this isn't fixed.

If you get this fixed, then you will want to delete the factory satellite list anyway so that you can install your own customized list for North America. See StarGaze's thread on that subject.

But, let's see if the networking options (communications) are repairable first.

RADAR

Guys,

Thanks a lot - it worked.
I have downloaded latest firmware 0.9.5209 from "http://az.evg33.ru"
New firmware fixed all problems and added new functionality -wired and wireless network work, additional satellites are on the list.

Now, I'll try to connect dish.
AZBOX manual/guide don't provide installation details.
Please point to an AZBOX article/thread that can help first timer to set up a dish.

vpaniyan

Guys,

Thanks a lot - it worked.
I have downloaded latest firmware 0.9.5209 from "http://az.evg33.ru"
New firmware fixed all problems and added new functionality -wired and wireless network work, additional satellites are on the list.

Now, I'll try to connect dish.
AZBOX manual/guide don't provide installation details.
Please point to an AZBOX article/thread that can help first timer to set up a dish.

vpaniyan

I forgot to mention that I have motorized dish.

vpaniyan

Vpaniyan,

First, congrats!

Please read this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band.html

There are a couple of identical documents to download in different formats.

Here is a very condensed notion of the whole concept:

Determine the nearest true south satellite for your location (a satellite which matches your equipment type).
Align your dish and motor for that satellite using a known, strong and consistently broadcasting transponder.
Pan left and right and fine adjust dish elevation and azimuth for all other satellites available to your LOS and local area.

There is MUCH more to it than this, so you will have to read the thread I mentioned first. You will then be able to ask specific questions with a good background in the theory.
Prepare yourself to spend some time reading, there is a lot of information to be covered.

If you have specific questions about dish and motor alignment or specific satellites, you should try to ask those questions in the main FTA forum (more generic forum).
Your Q's will get better exposure there and thus faster answers.

RADAR

Last edited:
Guys,

I connected all components - dish is moving in the right direction.
I followed instructions for motorized dish installation.
I tried to navigate to 2 satellites (110.0W ECHOSTAR 11 and 118.8W (P1) ANIK F3) - no success.
In antenna setup, I have Strength = 93, Quality = 0.
I tied to move the dish up and down - it changes Strength value only, quality is 0.

What I do wrong?

Guys,

I connected all components - dish is moving in the right direction.
I followed instructions for motorized dish installation.
I tried to navigate to 2 satellites (110.0W ECHOSTAR 11 and 118.8W (P1) ANIK F3) - no success.
In antenna setup, I have Strength = 93, Quality = 0.
I tied to move the dish up and down - it changes Strength value only, quality is 0.

What I do wrong?

Vpaniyan,

You are doing one main "BIG" thing wrong right off the bat. You are seeking the signals from the subscciption channels (from satellites like Echostar 10/11 and Anik F3). These are not FTA signals.
The second thing you have done wrong is that you have not given yourself enough time to digest the information that was in the thread and downloadable instructions that I pointed you towards.

The first step you need to take here is to inform us of the equipment you have and your location. We need to know what size, make and model of dish antenna you have to work with. What LNBF make and model you have, which motor you have and a general idea of where you live.

Don't worry, we don't need to know your exact address or anything that specific. But, if you know what your precise longitude is, that would be great and sufficient and all that is needed. This one item of information is required so that we can help you identify your best and nearest true south satellite to begin aiming for. This is important for you in order to get your system set up with the least amount of trouble and the most accuracy. We do want you to be able to achieve your goal and have the best experience with the whole process.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there is a great deal of information that must be considered. If you want it done right, you must follow our instructions and you must provide us with accurate and detailed information about your system components. This means that you must be detailed in everything.

The next bit of advice that I can provide to you is that this is not going to be a simple task for just one afternoon or even a couple of weeks worth of work. There is a great deal of research and brain activity required. Don't give up on us, just be prepared to spend a great deal of time to learn enough of the basics so that you can go off on your own and fly solo.

Are you honestly prepared to indulge in this hobby? It is required that you take this endeavor seriously, otherwise you will spend your money, time and effort for nothing to show at the end. We can and will help you all along the way, even if and when you feel overwhelmed, as long as you remember that this is a DIY adventure and you do your part along the way.

If you are ready for this, please proceed to inform us of the equipment you have and your longitude.

We can work on this project with you from there.

Happy New Year!

RADAR

Hi Radar.

I like adventure and never gave up.
As one king said, I'll try to translate it, - "You don't change horses while you crossing the river".
Let me explain what I have and what I done:
1. Receiver - AZBOX Premium HD
2. Dish - Fortec Star model: FC-110
3. Motor Powertech DG380

Since I purchased equipment from "www.sadoun.com", I used their instruction to get data for dish/motor installation.
Also, I read AZBOX AZ Guide Ver 2.4
Read your article.

Based o my research and using ""www.sadoun.com" tools, I have following data (ZIP code 91104):
Latitude: 34.1742°
Longitude: -118.1117°

Name: Powertech DG240 / DG280 / DG380
Distance: 37064km

Motor Latitude: 34.2°
Declination Angle: 5.5°
Dish Elevation: 29°
Elevation: 50.3°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (mag.): 167.3° using Compass

For motor I set latitude 34.2
For dish elevation 29 on the scale A.
I'm not sure about dish elevation - the dish bracket has 3 scales: A one side and (B and C) on another.

I used "dishpointer.com" to check visually for "true south" and it looks right.

I used 118.8W because it is the closest satellite to my "true south" - just to see if there is any signal.

Please help.

Thank you and Happy New Year!!!

vpaniyan