AZbox Premium or AZbox Ellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sanjap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2009
houston, tx
I own a Pansat 9200HD, a SatHawk 800PVR, a Viewsat MaxHD, a SonicView 8000HD, a Captain 8000HD. Why did I buy all these? - Because I keep searching for the "Mrs Right Receiver".

Now i am thinking of adding to my fleet an Azbox. Which of the AZboxes will make me not regret the purchase?

LoL I will be burned at the steak

I guess I will get burned at the steak for saying this, but after reading an checking out the AZBox it just reminds me of a Cloned Dreambox. From the pic's I saw it's even laid out like a Dreambox on the inside. That being said instead of buying a model of the Real Thing just get a Dreambox. (JK) :)

I have a 7020 and a couple of 500s and personally they're the cat's meow as far as I am concerned. Can be a little difficult to learn at first and can be a little picky as to what is connected to them. IMHO it's the best open source receiver on the market. I am not talking about those cheap clones but real Dreamboxes! I have used the DMM image and Pli images and love the networking, streaming and the many things you can do with those boxes.

Guys don't take me wrong I am sure the AZbox is a wonderful receiver and works very well. It offers a few things a Dream doesn't and it is what it is.

I just like the Dreamboxes and that's all..kind of like arms pits everyone has their own opinions...Nothing personal :)

I guess I will get burned at the steak for saying this, but after reading an checking out the AZBox it just reminds me of a Cloned Dreambox. From the pic's I saw it's even laid out like a Dreambox on the inside. That being said instead of buying a model of the Real Thing just get a Dreambox. (JK) :)

I have a 7020 and a couple of 500s and personally they're the cat's meow as far as I am concerned. Can be a little difficult to learn at first and can be a little picky as to what is connected to them. IMHO it's the best open source receiver on the market. I am not talking about those cheap clones but real Dreamboxes! I have used the DMM image and Pli images and love the networking, streaming and the many things you can do with those boxes.

Guys don't take me wrong I am sure the AZbox is a wonderful receiver and works very well. It offers a few things a Dream doesn't and it is what it is.

I just like the Dreamboxes and that's all..kind of like arms pits everyone has their own opinions...Nothing personal :)

Original Dreambox 500s I have played with seem to have issues picking up KU satellites. Even with PLI software.

I have never had an issue

I haven't had any issues with KU but I did have some with C-Band..

I discovered by chance a little math is needed for C-Band and they're very picky about the polarity.

Most of the stuff I've read concerning the DB and Ku, that's really what it was designed to use more so than C-Band...Ku is big in European Nations...

Right now my 7020 is on 2 Prime* running through a Chieta DiseQc ...No problems. I had it hooked up to an Invacom Uni..KU band with no issues...

Ran it though my older C-Band LNBf 5150 no issue but it does not work with the DMX741 on C-Band..

the satellites.xml file has to be correct for a Dreambox..

I can't say I have ever had a problem with KU or any of my Dreamboxes...

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with KU but I did have some with C-Band..

I discovered by chance a little math is needed for C-Band and they're very picky about the polarity.

Most of the stuff I've read concerning the DB and Ku, that's really what it was designed to use more so than C-Band...Ku is big in European Nations...

Right now my 7020 is on 2 Prime* running through a Chieta DiseQc ...No problems. I had it hooked up to an Invacom Uni..KU band with no issues...

Ran it though my older C-Band LNBf 5150 no issue but it does not work with the DMX741 on C-Band..

the satellites.xml file has to be correct for a Dreambox..

I can't say I have ever had a problem with KU or any of my Dreamboxes...

typo, I meant to say CBAND. As I can see you also agree. Not getting CBAND properly kills the DB for me.

Yup

With some of the older images C-Band was a little hard to get because of the polarity and other issues. That could be corrected by inverting the polarity in the settings in most cases. Nothing is really wrong with the receiver it gets C-Band as well as it does KU, it's just the images was designed more for KU.

I think the image files really lacked in programming for C-Band in the past because really it wasn't used as much in Europe. Not to say it isn't used but not the extent as here. I really don't know that's just my opinion...

With Jade most of those problems have been corrected. You could do a little Math with the older images and correct the C-Band problems by tricking the receiver into thinking it was KU band. But now it's not a problem using a Standard C-Band lnbf. They just get picky about the lnbf's, switches and Diseqc they are connected too. They just don't like cheap stuff connected to them and I have no idea why that is. Spaun and other brands doesn't seem to give you near as much grief as cheaper brands.

I never had any problems using it with an older C-Band Lnb. The only problems I had was trying to use it with the DMX 741 and I am pretty sure that was in the settings not the receiver or lnbf. I do think they could use some improvements on the tuner because if the SNR is less than 65 you can forget getting a lock on a transponder. You can also forget getting a lock if you have a crap satellites.xml file or you're off in your settings and threshold.

Yea I agree it could use some improvments but honestly what receiver couldn't? Getting a decent image designed more for North America would be really sweet imho...

Another huge problem with Dreambox is it isn't plug and play and the average person doesn't want to learn how to use the box or learn linux. Most people want to plug it up and be done and you can't do that with a Dreambox and imho that is why they haven't caught on as well in North America...if it ain't plug and play and the programming already done then most people just don't have a clue. Several people have trouble just putting in Transponder and symbol rate data, can you imagine telling them to FTP into a box and change the satellites.xml file. Not saying anything against anyone but like I say most people like the work already done for them...Me included!

Last edited:
I'm just saying it looks like The Azbox folks are looking beyond the Premium and Elite and fixes for old problems and developments like an optional hardware blindscanning tuner are very unlikely.

IMO it appears they only have love for their new girlfriend the Ultra and have dropped the others.

I'd go for dreambox, the really early D500 had a weak tuner but the D500s had the Alps tuner which is fine. I like the 7020 and 800 series. It is all down to whether you want 4.2.2 , whilst you can do it with the dreamboxes it is better on the Az box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)