AZBox PREMIUM PLUS sat list for 30.0°W > 139.8°W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
For anyone who is daring to experiment, here is (an almost) totally blank slate for you to work with. I say "almost totally blank" as I could not delete everything - every channel - without the AZBox rejecting this. The AZBox does not like it when you delete or try to delete everything. It does not like empty files or folders.

So, what I did is compile a (hopefully) complete list of satellites from 30.0°W all the way west to 138.9°W with both C and Ku bands included. There are NO channels on any satellite except for the two Cubavision channels on 30.0°W TP 11884 V. These I left because of the AZBox's OS requirements.

I have set every satellite up to utilize USALS motor poistioning and I have entered ONE transponder on each satellite. 3700 MHz horizontal for the C-band satellites and 11700 MHz horizontal for the linear Ku band satellites and 12200 MHz for the LEFT polarized circular Ku band. The latter shows up as H or horizontal in the menu scheme since it is converted from circular to linear polarization.

If you desire to clean your AZBox of the eastern satellites, you may use this list to load into your AZBox. This list covers the satellite arc for a LOS in the midwest.

Hispasat @ 30.0°W is as far as I can go to the east from my location so that is where I stopped on the Atlantic side. The furthest I can go west is 162.0°, but there are no satellites listed beyond AMC-8 @ 138.9°W. I stopped at these two east and west sats as there is no point for me to generate a list more expansive than this for my own personal system. I may create other "blank" lists for the whole N.A. region in the future (i.e. east coast, midwest, west, pacific etc.). Due to the time involved, I have opted to stop short of that objective for this specific project.

This list will have the USALS site coordinates set to my own location, so you will have to change these to your own. I also have no switch parameters set, no switches are selected here, so if you are using some switch matrix with your system, you will have to set these up to accomodate your system configuration.

Back up your current *.dat files and save them on a disk where they can be retreived for restoration later if required. Install these *.dat files and blind scan each satellite that you desire for updated TPs and channels.

You won't be able to blind scan with some AZBox receivers, I know. For these receivers you will have to enter your TPs manually and then scan them.

Since I am able to blind scan with my Premium Plus AZBox, I will do so and post that list at a later time so that you don't have to type so much. I can only supply the linear Ku band list, however. I cannot scan for C-Band channels without a BUD and the circular stuff like DN and Bell Express is up to you to figure out. Most FTA'ers don't require the latter anyway.

You should use these files at your own risk. I have made every effort to be certain that they are clean of any virus or violations, but there is always the unexpected and this is not for the amateur. If you screw something up, please don't put the blame on me! LOL :) I do test everything I do multiple times prior to posting the information so I am confident to supply you with this information. If anything does go awry, it is your baby.

RADAR

Attachments

• antenna_list.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Let me first say thank you for taking the time to put this together. Do you know any way of converting this into a satellite.xml file format?

I am currently blind scanning the satellites in the list that I created and posted earlier. This does take a lot of time. Starting at 30.0°W, I have only made it to 74.0°W so far.

I have observed something that will interest you along the way. Performing a blind scan is not perfect. You and I probably expected this, but I can definitely confirm it. The blind scan seems to record all the TPs, but it does not seem to record all the channels. I checked a few here along the way and found that known channels on the blind scanned TPs were missing. I went back and used the TP SCAN mode and it pulled in the channels fine.

If your AZBox has blind scan capabilities, let it do its thing and then go to TP scan and check mark all the TPs that it recorded and scan again in that mode.

When you get into the blind scan menu, notice that the upper limit for standard Ku band is preset to 12900 MHz. I change this to 12200 MHz (highlight this option and use the > arrow to step the cursor just past the '9' and then press the BACK/DEL button to delete the '9' and then press '2' to insert it and make the upper limit 12200 MHz).

There is no point in scanning the range between 12200 and 12900 for N.A. standard linear Ku band signals and reducing this range will shorten your blind scan time.

Personally, I have been changing the scan step from 5000 MHz to 2000 MHz. This will increase your scan time, but I have a gut feeling that it may find more TPs in the process or possibly be more accurate. I don't really know for certain, I am just experimenting to test this.

I leave all the other settings at their defaults (and then I uncheck the scrambled option right before starting the scan).

RADAR

I have observed a mistake in my list. This error isn't anything that will cause you trouble, but it is an error period. The symbol rate is lacking a zero (so what I intended to enter as 1000 is showing as 100). This is OK as it is just a dummy list and as long as there is a number entered here, the AZBox accepts it.

After you have blind scanned the satellite and picked up at least one more TP than the single one I listed, you may delete this TP. Just don't delete it until you acquire a valid one. Remember that the AZBox does not like missing information and if you delete the one and only TP from a satellite, it will create troubles and errors for you.

I know where this error originated. It stemmed from the entries using AZEdit. In this program they require additional numeric places for the TP frequency and the SR. I didn't put enough places in the SR number, I was one short. It is not a problem and it doesn't create any malfunction, but I do not like the fact that it was not what I intended to enter.

This is good information for you as you will have to remember to check your entries in AZEdit if you use it to manually add new TPs to your list.

RADAR

The blindscan problem you mention: starting from a clean list and the receiver not adding the channels but only the tp info is because the receiver is "clean". If you scan the same a second time your channels will get added or you can just do a manual scan of the transponders you want.

Most people need to remember that an editor program is needed to properly perform the tasks.
ACC to send the files and write it to the back up directory in the azbox,
Maz & AZ Edit to make any adjustments to the list for your location.

Oh Radar did you violate the first cardinal rule ?

You forgot to take your time and make sure your entries using the editor programs were correct! :)
(**ok, I'm ducking for cover now! **)

since it is just a dummy transponder it really makes no difference as you said, after another transponder is added the dummy should be deleted anyway.

Oh Radar did you violate the first cardinal rule ?

You forgot to take your time and make sure your entries using the editor programs were correct! :)
(**ok, I'm ducking for cover now! **)

since it is just a dummy transponder it really makes no difference as you said, after another transponder is added the dummy should be deleted anyway.

Stargaze,

True and honest, I checked this five or six times! Then made the mistake I was trying to avoid anyway!

I sincerely need glasses so I can see the numbers, but I thought I was counting the keystrokes correctly.
Seriously, they say that I am nearly blind at work and won't give me a license to drive the PIVs at work until I get glasses.
In three years I went from 20/20 to 20/40 to 20/70 and now it is off the chart. It is serious, but I have to look at it (so to speak) with a little humor. :)

RADAR

How I wish I had such a list when I bought mine!. This is indeed a valuable file for the AZbox first timer. Thanks for posting it. I remember all the time I spent deleting and creating new sats and then blind scanning!.

One thing Though , unlike Stargaze I do not think you really need the use of other software to completely fix your sat list and create your full channel list although if you like it that way then it might be better for you. Besides it makes it easier and simpler for the first timer to just use the remote and this sat list provided by Radar. I am yet to use any other software and I am just trying to make it simpler for begginers, then for more complex tasks and for instance to fix some PVR timer recording issues as suggested by others you could start using these other useful softwares on your PC.

I do not think you really need the use of other software to completely fix your sat list and create your full channel list although if you like it that way then it might be better for you. Besides it makes it easier and simpler for the first timer to just use the remote and this sat list provided by Radar.

This is where you are incorrect in your assumption that the receiver will not revert back to the old list.
If the New list is not put into the backup directory you will still have a corrupt list in the azbox in the backup directory.
The whole process that Radar & I have done and talked about for hours on end was to see if there would be an easier way.
Using the remote only changes what is in your working directory. Then when you have a problem the receiver will go back to the back up one which is no good.
For those who don't or can not use an editor program they will have a rough time of it.
Each one of us has a system that is slightly different then others. Sure someone can use my list or Radars list but sooner or later they will want their own list that suits their own needs. Not everyone is using their azboxes to move their dishes, for those who do then this is a great start for them. But, if they want it to remain in their azbox as their starting point from here on out then the ACC program is the easiest way to make this a certainty. Not everyone who uses an azbox is handy at computer language, those who understand computers have another way to do this, the others who do not need to rely on other programs to perform these tasks.

How I wish I had such a list when I bought mine!. This is indeed a valuable file for the AZbox first timer. Thanks for posting it. I remember all the time I spent deleting and creating new sats and then blind scanning!.

One thing Though , unlike Stargaze I do not think you really need the use of other software to completely fix your sat list and create your full channel list although if you like it that way then it might be better for you. Besides it makes it easier and simpler for the first timer to just use the remote and this sat list provided by Radar. I am yet to use any other software and I am just trying to make it simpler for begginers, then for more complex tasks and for instance to fix some PVR timer recording issues as suggested by others you could start using these other useful softwares on your PC.

This is where you are incorrect in your assumption that the receiver will not revert back to the old list.
If the New list is not put into the backup directory you will still have a corrupt list in the azbox in the backup directory.
The whole process that Radar & I have done and talked about for hours on end was to see if there would be an easier way.
Using the remote only changes what is in your working directory. Then when you have a problem the receiver will go back to the back up one which is no good.
For those who don't or can not use an editor program they will have a rough time of it.
Each one of us has a system that is slightly different then others. Sure someone can use my list or Radars list but sooner or later they will want their own list that suits their own needs. Not everyone is using their azboxes to move their dishes, for those who do then this is a great start for them. But, if they want it to remain in their azbox as their starting point from here on out then the ACC program is the easiest way to make this a certainty. Not everyone who uses an azbox is handy at computer language, those who understand computers have another way to do this, the others who do not need to rely on other programs to perform these tasks.

HD Fan,

What Stargaze has stated is extremely important. You must use the ACC program to reload a corrected list to your AZBox in order to open the "read only" back-up file and be able to write to it temporarily. Then the ACC program closes the backup file and makes it read only again. If this important piece is missed, then the AZBox will (in specific events) revert to the original list in the backup file which would be corrupted and then you would have to start over from scratch once again.

There are other avenues that can be used to accomplish this task, but so far they are all manual procedures and require you to learn some of the Linux and TelNet codes. ACC does this all for you automatically.

One very nice advantage to using our lists (Stargaze's or mine) is that you don't have to use the remote for anything but scanning in the transponders or channels on the satellites that you want. You only need to send or upload these lists to your AZBox using ACC and all of the satellites and basic TP structure is there for you. The original factory list is superceded by this action and deleted (overwritten) automatically. Therefore, you don't have to wade through the process of deleting all the satellites in the factory list with the remote. That step was accomplished in the procedure that we followed to create our homemade lists.

My list here is just a start of better things to come. You will be limited to what is contained in this list unless you add or delete sats and TPs yourself. But, it does get you started and saves some time, a lot of time.

RADAR

PS Because FTA changes so much, old satellites being decommisioned or moved, new satellites being launched, feed channels coming and going etc. There is just no way for any list to be perfect for much more than a short time. Maybe a few hours at most (when you consider the wild feeds). So, you understand that we know that these lists are only temporary. The main point was to dispose of the original corrupted factory list and provide a basic skeleton structure to work from. Maintaining and keeping your new list up to date is everyone's personal responsibility. That's the part that is the hobby.

Last edited:
oh! I was not aware of the backup list in the receiver somehow restoring itself once again and therefore going back to square one. Thanks for the tip , time to telnet the machine and change the read only status of the file if i remember the few unix commands i learndt so many years ago. I have not acctually played much with the machine since I finally scanned everything because my mother who is visiting me is using it for its c band spanish channels fix.

oh! I was not aware of the backup list in the receiver somehow restoring itself once again and therefore going back to square one. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, this was the hindrance for all users from the start.

Until it was learned that this "back-up file" existed and was "read only", the original factory list information kept popping back into our lists. Using ACC to make this area temporarily Re-Writable allows us to put our own list in there and dispose of the corrupt information (which was one satellite that had zero TPs in its list). Remember that the AZBox doesn't like empty files or folders, so a satellite list with no transponders listed is bad news. You can create new directories and folders which are blank and add files to it later, but I guess you don't want to take a permanent folder and delete all of its contents. Somehow, this lone sat with no TPs listed escaped the programmers eyes and caused some really odd behavior, unexpected behavior when working with and editing the satellite list.

The folks in Europe are starting to realize this, too and they should have been the first to know. They have had this box in use much longer than we have. But, they are not applying it the same manner that we are. Most of the satellites that they pull in were already in the list and so they had no reason to edit the list and therefore never experienced the troubles that we found right off. Oh, they probably did, at times. But, likely passed it off as some problem with the firmware.

RADAR

Can we please stickey this, this is some good stuff! :) :Two Thumbs UP!

Thanks for the vote of confidence on this thread, Goalie... However, this one isn't ready for anything like a sticky. This is a work in progress.

I know that there is a good deal of work put forth here and a lot of good info, but there is more to come, so just earmark this post for now, and be sure to check out the latest revision of the sticky for the AZBox manual (the A-Z guide). We will be putting all the best stuff in there, eventually. It will become a living document (meaning that all updates and changes will eventually be included in one source). Stargaze is doing a bang up job with this already and it can only progress into something better each day.

Please, consult the stickies and the AZBox A-Z guide for most everything. Recent or new issues will be discussed along the way and posted here first for discussion and crituque until they are proven successful and then they will be added to the A-Z Guide for posterity. Download the guide and peruse it at your leisure, then ask questions to clarify or expound upon the information in the guide if necessary. You should not have to ask too many Q's if we write the guide well, and we are doing our best at that for you! Ain't that right StarGaze! :)

So, please help us write the guide perfectly for all future AZBox owners.

Discussions are necessary to ensure the accuracy of the guide, so we welcome everyone to join in and ask questions and provide personal experience responses. If they are proven accurate and repeatable they will be included in the guide. Eventually, we will have compiled a really awesome guide. We are doing great so far, so let's keep it up!

Thanks (to everyone)!

Sincerely,

RADAR, and from myself on behalf of Stargaze... We thank you!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)