Azbox ToolBox

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Why is it that my Windows AV complains about this having a virus but my Linux AV doesn't? I have to disable the Windows AV in order to run the ToolBox - both Windows XP and Windows 7. Is there or isn't there a virus in this software? I'm using AVG for Windows and ClamAV for Linux. The interesting thing is that AVG doesn't complain about a virus until the files have been extracted - not while they're zipped. I'd like to use the software but it makes me nervous when I'm getting a virus alert.

If you're running Windowz OS then you should be running Microsoft Security Essentials instead of AVG. And did I mention that Security Essentials is FREE and seems to have less overhead than AVG? I also have 3 multiboot computers running Linux Mint and I've never had an antivirus progie on them, even with Ubuntu before Mint.

Oh, and you can upload that file to this URL and they will scan it for you. https://www.virustotal.com/

If you're running Windowz OS then you should be running Microsoft Security Essentials instead of AVG. And did I mention that Security Essentials is FREE and seems to have less overhead than AVG? I also have 3 multiboot computers running Linux Mint and I've never had an antivirus progie on them, even with Ubuntu before Mint.

Oh, and you can upload that file to this URL and they will scan it for you. https://www.virustotal.com/

Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for "free" stuff.

I use Avira Anti-Vir and it also complained of a virus. I submitted a false positive report to Avira and they checked it out and updated the definition files. You can do the same for your virus software i would think.

The Microsoft Security Essentials app works quite well on my windows box. Have used Norton, AVG, and others in the past and this one seems to run well on Windoze XP system I use for web surfing and downloading etc. Don't think I have ever used an antivirus on the Linux boxes, but I don't use them for surfing much... mostly run apache for serving weather and web page data.

On two computers, I have Ubuntu 12.04. On one it is exclusively Ubuntu 12.04, and the other I dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04, and Windows XP. On the Ubuntu I have no virus program. And, on Ubuntu I have never caught a virus now for over several years. I had always ran several different free virus programs. I liked all of the free virus programs. They all seem to have a problem with reporting false positives. On the Windows XP I have Microsoft Security Essentials, and on a computer in the back, with Hewlett Packard, dual core, Vista, I have Microsoft Security Essentials, and I like the Microsoft Security Essentials on anything with Microsoft program, e.g., XP, or Vista.

"If you're running Windowz OS then you should be running Microsoft Security Essentials instead of AVG. And did I mention that Security Essentials is FREE and seems to have less overhead than AVG? I also have 3 multiboot computers running Linux Mint and I've never had an antivirus progie on them, even with Ubuntu before Mint. "

Just wondered why you favour this rather than avg. Does it have regular definition updates etc ?

Thanks
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)