[B]L2.92 enables PocketDish!!!!![/B]

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
L2.92 enables PocketDish!!!!!

One of my 522's just downloaded L2.92 and you can now finally download recordings to PocketDish using USB . I did have to reboot the receiver after it downloaded the software before it would work .

It is rather slow, but it's a thousand times better than manually recording to the PocketDish.

Last edited:
Yeah.
I still have to learn how to use it . I just transferred a recording that I already had on the 522 hard drive, can you also schedule recordings directly to the PocketDish ?

does it recognize any other kind of usb memory or hard drive device, or specifically only the PocketDish units?

I don't have a USB drive to try out, but I did try my digital camera since there's a place within "Multimedia" called "My Photos" , but it said "This feature is currently not supported " .

Yes!!! can't wait. I've been checking my 625 since yesterday for the new L2.92! Any 625 Owners get it yet?

VERY good news on a potentially depressing day for pocketdsk owners today when Microsft unvails their "Secret" origami project portable - not that it makes pocketdsh obsolete, just wish pocketdish had the hooks for Windows Media Player 10 portable device like iriver and zen

I tried an external USB drive and my 522 just stopped doing anything. I had to pull the plug to reset it. Even the power button reset didn't work.

Because the recordings on the 522/625 are stored unencrypted I highly doubt that just any USB>IDE bridge will work, but that's just speculation. Does anyone have technical specs on a PD's USB bridge chip? Taken the drive out of one and examined it?

SatinKzo said:
I tried an external USB drive and my 522 just stopped doing anything. I had to pull the plug to reset it. Even the power button reset didn't work.

What filesystem was on your external drive?

phat_bastard said:
What filesystem was on your external drive?

I have now tried 3 different ones, none worked

Ext2
Ext3
Fat32 (long shot, but figured I would try it)

I also tried my jumpdrive which I formatted to be a bootable NTFS drive, it is the only one that didn't cause the 522 to go black and not respond.

Has anyone tried to plug a pocketdish into a computer and read the device?

plugging the pocketdish into a computer with XP simply acts like any 'jump drive' style external memory device. you can copy, rename, delete, etc...files.
i have even copied some (non-copy protected) programming onto the computer and burned it to DvD.

im going to try to force my 522 to update tonight.
WHOOT!!!

Does the pocketdish have a directory structure to it? Does it have any hidden files or folders? And in device manager does it say pocketdish or does it just say like ide hdd controller? Also when you said you copied stuff to dvd, is that stuff you captured in live mode or transfered via usb? Thanks for any info you can give.

re: directory structure.

The Pocketdish filesystem on my AV700E reports as FAT32 filesystem type, a Microsft Filesystem as I recall.

Didn't look for hidden files when connected to my computer. Now that the 522/625 can finally transfer via USB, I may never hook it up again. Mainly was playing around with Tivo2go file conversions and waiting for L2.92 on the 625.

Visable files I saw on the computer were a simple, fairly "flat" directory structure. Under the Video Folder, a Pocketdish folder was created after the 625 became USB enabled and immediately updated the AV700E firmware.

Anybody wanna take apart there $400 pocketdish and make us all a ghost?........
Thats what I thought, but if anybody wants to i think phat_bastard is right.

If the drive appears as just another drive to windows when connected via USB, why would one need to take the unit apart?

There must be something more than a FAT32 filesystem that the 522 is looking for, I hooked a portable drive with a fat32 FS on it to my 522 with no luck.

SatinKzo said:
There must be something more than a FAT32 filesystem that the 522 is looking for

You think? And all that time I thought I was talking just to hear my head rattle.

There are a myriad of possibilities. It could be looking for data in unused sectors on the disk, hidden file(s), a very specific file + folder structure, specifically sized / placed partition(s), a particular brand and / or model of hard drive, or any combination thereof. The way to find out is to clone a PD disk and find the piece(s) needed through a process of elimination. Unless you have a PD to start from you're wasting time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)