B6 doesn't pick up SBS 6 anymore on 4dtv!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
Since SBS 6 has transitioned into Galaxy 17, the 4dtv B6 tile will not work right anymore. If you use B6, the channel maps for the B6 tile will not match up to the new Galaxy 17. This will be a problem until Motorola updates the maps, which is highly unlikely for us few 4dtv'ers.

Time to pull out the old analog for Ku on B6, (G17) until a map update or until I can figure out what tile to use in its place.

Just information for all us 4dtv'ers.

It must have been today because I know that G-17 is taking SBS 6's place, and I am sure it will have different freq.'s for its channels, and also I had to do a rescan on SBS 6/G17 earlier to get ONN to come back in. The B6 tile on 4dtv is setup for the original frequencies, since I had to do a rescan on my Coolsat, I have also noticed nothing is in analog on B6 thru my 4dtv tonight. I still haven't found another tile to use on the 4dtv box, however I am sure an analog box would still get any analog feeds on B6, but we'll have to wait and see if Motorola will update the maps now. I will tinker around with this until I figure it out and I will share anything new I find out in relation to this subject.

I suppose that is how it works but still Motorola has to set the 4dtv up to do such things via channel/satellite maps (which downloads at night on G1-3--if and when they update)-, but I notice a lot of the Ku satellites have more than 32 or less than 32 tp's on the 4dtv whereas an analog box will do 32 TP's on every Ku satellite. T7 for example doesn't even have a Ku tile nor does AMC-2 on the 4dtv--I have also learned to use tile K4 in the place of AMC 2. I am understanding that the 19 TP's that B6 is setup for isn't the same frequencies that the new G-17 has on Ku. Motorola updates the maps, or is supposed to but won't, and there is a lot missing, another example, they use R4 for 105 degrees which now C/Ku instead of just Ku, and it has 32 TP's but R4 is only setup for 15 or 16 TP's and there isn't a cband tile for 105 degrees. Its all on Motorola's end at this point and I think it just sucks. I remember a while back using my analog receiver to get some feeds on Galaxy 10 (Ku) and was on TP 30 on the analog box, but when I tried to get it using X0 on the 4dtv, I couldn't get past TP 24, and I couldn't even find the feed that I was receiving on my analog box on any of the other TP's. Just a couple of examples.

Who knows.

I am just glad it still is picking up the analog feeds at least.

It stands to reason that a temporary satellite would need to broadcast on the same frequencies for analog that the current satellite would.

Too much trouble for the receiving ends to make a lot of changes for something temporary.

Just my opinion.

Fred

As I post this I have 19 hours to figure out how to bring in Galaxy 17 for our TV station's coverage of the local AAA baseball team with a Motorola DSR922. We had been using SBS6 until last week, and had Galaxy 17 thrust upon us with no time to test.

I'll have one-half hour of test time prior to going live.

I do have the uplink and downlink frequencies, and have done a little math with an old SBS6 chart so I think I know which old transponder "channel" on the B6 tile will get me close (at least for downlink).

Downlink on G-17 is 11940 mhz (Transponder 12)
SBS6 transponder 10 was 11945.

With a little tweaking, I hope to pull this off.

I simply cannot wait until we can use the Tandberg digital.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts