Status
Please reply by conversation.

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
I have my HR24 set that when a show isn't in HD it will display the pillar box in black on the sides. This morning when I went to put Baby First TV on it was in full screen. I first when through all the format options and even played with the menu and it's still full screen. I then went to a few channels I know are only SD but they're displayed normal how I like it. Could it be that either Directv or Baby First decided they wanted the channel in full screen even though it's a SD broadcast? (I'm sure my son could care less but it looks awful.)

If it's in full screen sd, the channel is doing it, not Directv.

I gotta ask.

Baby First Tv is a show or a channel? I never comment on content of the channels customers select...just never heard of this one.

Joe

When the #1 TV station in my city went HD, one of its competitors started broadcasting its newscasts in what they call "enhanced widescreen" which fills the screen, but is still SD. People around here just call it "fake HD". Probably what Baby First did. I just checked out that channel (for the first time) and for the babies watching it, I doubt that being in HD or not matters to them.

When the #1 TV station in my city went HD, one of its competitors started broadcasting its newscasts in what they call "enhanced widescreen" which fills the screen, but is still SD. People around here just call it "fake HD". Probably what Baby First did. I just checked out that channel (for the first time) and for the babies watching it, I doubt that being in HD or not matters to them.

You are right, the babies do not notice. Here is what got my attention.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no television for children under two and very limited viewing of
educational programming for older children. In the real world, parents often rely on television as kind of a de facto babysitter. It
keeps kids occupied while Mom steals a moment to catch up on household finances, chores or other necessary tasks.
However, the "TV rots your brain" canard may be overselling the negatives a bit as more and more parents recognize the positive
aspects of TV viewing, particularly with so many quality choices available.

This is the best spin I could find. TV for babies is a real EZ mistake to avoid. I am surprised it got as far as it did. TV has some benefits but no sources reported any benefit from early childhood TV. Babies want to hang out with their parents. Given a choice infants will play with a pet or even a mirror before selecting being alone with TV. Once they get used to only TV they lock on and another generation of couch potatoes is born.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum to preach this sermon,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)