Back Online again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Greczkowski said:
Anyone having any problems accessing the site? I had one user tell me he could not access the site, when I gave him the IP address of the site he said he could get to it but it was very slow.

From here the speed is very good, page is loading instantly.

Workin great.. I posted somewhere on the site... i cant keep up with it.. usually i can.

I had that also about an hour ago. I just chalked it up to either the occasionally-flaky network setup we have at my office, or the propagation of the new DNS records. That could mean we hit it at a moment after the old information had expired on our respective DNS servers and they had a problem initially getting the new address. I believe most DNS servers these days are caching, and that could be related. But who knows.

Edit: Although I should mention (as just now I noticed again), there are several times when my browser sits for a little while at "Resolving satelliteguys.us..." before moving on. I think when the problem above ("not found") occurred it more likely could have just been that one of those pauses took too long and the browser (or DNS server) timed out returning that the name did not resolve. But that's not saying the problem is at one end or the other definitively.

Unfortunately sometimes DNS can be screwy, Its all setup correctly, however remote DNS servers don't update like they should. I haven't timed out but I know others who have.

We have 1 user who can't set to the site at all, when he tried doing a tracert to www.satelliteguys.us he gets an unable to resolve domain error message.

Its nice when you run your own name server, just one easy command to force an immediate update.

At the moment our DNS is hosted by our ISP
You can dig at dns server (ns1,theplanet.com) and see our settings.

However I have setup our own domain servers and we will be moving over to our own DNS servers later this week. Before I make the change I want LER to look over everything and make sure it is setup correctly before I change our namesservers over to our control.

Running our own name servers will allow us to host other sites and domain iin the future, and there are a few satellite related websites we are talking to to host them here at SatelliteGuys free of charge. :)

n0qcu said:
Its nice when you run your own name server, just one easy command to force an immediate update.
Yes, that's what I have at home. :D I don't have it listening on the outer interface though (don't want or need it to) but if it was, I'd set my workstation at work to use it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Running our own name servers will allow us to host other sites and domain iin the future, and there are a few satellite related websites we are talking to to host them here at SatelliteGuys free of charge. :)

can you tell us who they are or is a surpise?

Still in negoations but I am sure some will be a surprise. :)

BTW I just removed the Email Spam Catcher and Email VIRIUS scanner from the new server and the load went down a lot more! I have signed satelliteguys.us for a commercial spam and virus filtering service so we dont need to run those service on our server anymore. :)

Hope it keeps getting faster, our ISP is currently doing some work, and I also just noticed that our version of MySQL is way old, upgrading the the latest should boost us even faster. :)

There may be a few times where the server is unavailable for a few seconds while they work on the servers.

Thanks. :)

BTW the forum is STILL rebuilding our search index, it is only a 3rd done (wow!)

Again once it is done the board will speed up some more. :D

Looking good but... What am I missing here? I used to be able to bookmark a page with nothing but Voom forum listings and start from that page. This was nice because you could refresh the page to see if any new posts came up. The way the forum is structured now you have to go to a front page then out of that to the specific thread. Half dozen of one and six of the other I know, but I liked the old page better.

Indy thanks for your input, I am looking into this now.

Keep the feedback coming you guy, after all you guys are what makes SatelliteGuys tick. :D

As far as speed goes I can't tell any difference. But then again I am on a wide open DSL account so you'd have to be blazingly faster than before for me to notice any speed increase.

But just as Indy posted I had a bookmark directly to the Dish 522 section and it doesn't work now it goes to the main forum page first now instead. I'll try redoing the bookmark to see if that cures it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)