Back soon after 5yr Comcast nightmare Denver market

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Hi everyone. Had to leave D in 07 after moving north of Denver to apt w/no LOS. Buying a condo and now have LOS but I've been out of the loop so long, don't know what equip I might end up with at install. It'll only be a 2 room install, DVR's in both unless I can get the 5 tuner one. Been thinking of buying one from Weekness with more storage, but I'm really in the dark cause I didn't keep up with D and Sat Guys I was so depressed after having to settle for Comcast. By the way, its great to be back and man Love what you've done with the place!!-- RayMo

Well you would be considered a new sub do for $99 you could get the HR34 and if you add another $99 you could get an HR24 as well, that would give you 7 tuners between the 2 rooms and for another $3 a month MRV. It gives you the freedom of viewing anything recorded on one DVR in the other room.

Edit: you're NOT promised any certain receiver (excluding the new TiVo and the HR34) so the HR24 could be a different DVR

You have to get the HR-34 or HMC with a HR-24 (for future proofing). 7 tuners should equal no recording issues. I have the HMC and 3 other HR-24's (two 24's were given to me by Directv in the past 6 months; the other two when I signed up about a year and a half ago). Complete overkill but the fees are the same so it was a no-brainer.

huskerhead said:
You have to get the HR-34 or HMC with a HR-24 (for future proofing). 7 tuners should equal no recording issues. I have the HMC and 3 other HR-24's (two 24's were given to me by Directv in the past 6 months; the other two when I signed up about a year and a half ago). Complete overkill but the fees are the same so it was a no-brainer.

You don't have to have a HR24 with a 34. Any receiver will work with the proper deca's installed

Plus getting the HR-24 not only gives the OP an additional two tuners, it gives him Pandora and YouTube and the ability to pause live TV without having to hit record and use up one of the tuners on the HR-34. If he requests Whole Home DVR or MRV, he will likely get an HR-24 rather than a lower model.

DVDDAD said:
Plus getting the HR-24 not only gives the OP an additional two tuners, it gives him Pandora and YouTube and the ability to pause live TV without having to hit record and use up one of the tuners on the HR-34. If he requests Whole Home DVR or MRV, he will likely get an HR-24 rather than a lower model.

Requesting the whole home doesn't raise your odds of receiving one but we finally got through all the older models again. Most markets are getting the 24's again. There for awhile it was HR21, 22. Hate them receivers!

Man, All great answers! I guess the only way to guarantee I'll get a HR34 is to buy one and I don't want to shell out that much cash right now. I guess I'll have to hope I get a good CSR when the time comes. Thanks a lot guys. As usual Sat Guys comes through!!! Now with my location, I'm considering a dish heater. Any suggestions on that topic??

Last edited:
If you request the Home Media Center (HR-34) from DirecTV, then that's one guarenteed reciever that you would recieve. There are no lower model Home Media Centers and your order would state "Home Media Center", so you'll receive an HR-34. It's when you order an HD-DVR that you aren't guarenteed to get the latest receiver, the HR-24. You may receive an HR-23, HR-22 or HR-21. Most new installs getting MRV or Whole Home DVR, do receive an HR-24 when a HD DVR is on the order. Sorry, I don't have any info on a heater for you. Good luck!

yeah if you order the HMC you WILL get a HR34...but when you get the confirmation e-mail it MUST say "HMC" or "HOME MEDIA CENTER"...if it says HD DVR that ISNT and would be a 2 tuner DVR.

Now with my location, I'm considering a dish heater. Any suggestions on that topic??
I assume in CO you get snow but is it heavy wet snow? Unless its that a heater really wouldnt be needed. Here in MN last year we seemed to get a foot of snow everytime it snowed (hence the reason the Metrodome collapsed last year) ;) and as long as it wasnt heavy wet snow I had no issues

This year we had heavy wet snow blowing from the south and it stuck right to the dish. a simple wipe off the dish and was back in business.

Man, All great answers! I guess the only way to guarantee I'll get a HR34 is to buy one and I don't want to shell out that much cash right now. I guess I'll have to hope I get a good CSR when the time comes. Thanks a lot guys. As usual Sat Guys comes through!!! Now with my location, I'm considering a dish heater. Any suggestions on that topic??

You don't need a dish heater in Denver.

I live on Monument Hill, Colorado, and have been a subscriber since 1996. I don't have a dish heater and only lose the signal due to snow once or twice a winter. I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

I would ask for the On-Demand Connection thing now, too, just so you don't have to pay for it later. If you order through a retailer, you might be able to get a free or discounted AM21 if you're into subchannels. Like Iceberg says, get whatever you THINK you need at the beginning, rather than wait and try to get a new-customer promo later!

More great answers! We don't close on the condo till end of April so I have time to figure out what I'll ask for. Like Iceberg says "ask now or pay later". Yaz96, I'll be in Longmont but you are still a little higher in altitude. I might not have a access to the dish. Not sure exactly where it'll go yet. It might be on the roof out of reach. Thats why I asked about the heater. To answer Iceberg's question, Normally it a dry snow and even if they say its gonna be a wet snow its still pretty dry. And with the winds we get, it'll probably peel the paint of the dish!! Thanks again guys.!--Raymo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)