Backup Question

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
Thanks in advance for any help on this. I am upgrading this week from a 2 HWS/2 Joey setup to a Hopper 3/3 Joey setup, and I am trying to do as much in advance as possible to make the transition easier. I understand that I can only restore 1 HWS settings to the Hopper 3, so I took the time to consolidate all timers onto one HWS, created a folder structure for the timers (some timers for 'kids' folder, some timers for 'parents' folder), backed up all programming to an EHD, and backed up the HWS settings to the remote. My question is (and I couldn't find this explicitly stated anywhere), can I backup my Joeys (really just the favorite lists) to restore to the new Joeys? I went through the process to do this, but I wasn't sure what it backed up - the Hopper settings, or the Joey.

Also, I found another thread where someone said that their restored timers did not correctly keep the proper folder settings - is this still an issue, or has it been fixed?

Thanks!

Do you have the Carbon UI on your HWS? If you do you can back up the Joeys and most (but not always all) of it will carry over.
If you have the "old" UI on your HWS then the backup on the Joeys probably won't work.

As for the recordings -- you can use an EHD but many people are having trouble with the H3 recognizing the EHD when you plug it back in. You can also do an ethernet cable transfer but you will need a short cable and will have to tell the installer to leave your HWS with you (he should be able to request that Dish sends out a box with a return label).

Do you have the Carbon UI on your HWS? If you do you can back up the Joeys and most (but not always all) of it will carry over.
If you have the "old" UI on your HWS then the backup on the Joeys probably won't work.

As for the recordings -- you can use an EHD but many people are having trouble with the H3 recognizing the EHD when you plug it back in. You can also do an ethernet cable transfer but you will need a short cable and will have to tell the installer to leave your HWS with you (he should be able to request that Dish sends out a box with a return label).

Thanks! I do have the CUI. I'll have to take my chances with the EHD - it took about 40 hours to transfer everything to it, and I don't feel like putting it all back. I have seen that some people were having problems with the EHD being recognized with the Hopper 3, but I wasn't sure if that was the exception, or the rule. I have a Seagate Expansion 2 TB Drive (STEB2000100) - anyone have any good experiences with this on the Hopper 3?

Thanks! I do have the CUI. I'll have to take my chances with the EHD - it took about 40 hours to transfer everything to it, and I don't feel like putting it all back. I have seen that some people were having problems with the EHD being recognized with the Hopper 3, but I wasn't sure if that was the exception, or the rule. I have a Seagate Expansion 2 TB Drive (STEB2000100) - anyone have any good experiences with this on the Hopper 3?
There was an upgrade a few months ago that made EHD's unrecognizable, that has since been rectified in another upgrade. No reason you should have any problems with you self-powered Seagate.