Bad Dish 1000.2?

cb4774

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
IL
I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to Dish, I lack greatly in technical knowhow, but is it possible that a dish can "go bad?"

A little over a month ago, we had pretty heavy rain for several days in IL and for the two weeks that followed, channels that are on the 129 would frequently drop, generally for about a minute or so. Anyway, a couple of weeks after the rain, my house was re-shingled; I personally removed the dish from the roof and handed it to someone who was standing on a ladder and carried it to the ground. While the roofing was going on, I temporarily installed the dish on a pole in the backyard, but for the life of me I could not find the 129 (even using dishpointer.com)...I found the 100 and 119, but never the 129.

I assumed that I was doing something wrong, so once the roof was completed, I called a local installer to remount and repoint the dish. Instead of returning the dish to the roof, it was decided that a permanent pole would be placed in the yard. Both the installer and I thought the my problems would be solved...wrong, again no 129 on either of my 622's. According to both the installer's compass and signal meter, 129 should have been coming in loud and clear, but it didn't at all. He tried two additional LBN's, one that was new and one that he had previously verified as fully-functioning...again, nothing from 129.

His next thought was that perhaps the wiring needed to be redone, so he attached the previously verified as working LNB, setup a small TV near the dish, had me bring out one of the 622's and ran new cable to test the make shift setup in an attempt to see if the wiring was the problem. Once again, no 129.

His final thought before he left for the day, as he did not have another 1000.2 with him, was that the actual dish must be the problem. Does this seem likely? From just looking at the dish straight on, I don't see any visible flaws, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Thanks for any help or input, it is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Yes it can happen and it does. It does not take much to tweak that dish and 129 won't work. If your installer had been like me, you know how to point the dish then flex it and find 129. Sometimes this can fix it other times it's to far gone and you need a new dish.

Absolutely a Dish can "go bad".... the 129 signal is fragile enough with a perfectly shaped Dish... any tweaking on the left side of the Dish (when standing behind it) will kill the 129 signal completely.

Other things that can happen is the arm can get bent... the skew plate can get tweaked.... the integrated bracket can get twisted....

Are you sure the mast is completely plumb and level?

I spent 2 days working on one and finally found the arm was out of alignment at the welds where the dish connects to the arm. there are two holes on each side at the point where they attach. you will see a circle behind the holes where they spot weld them together, if the hole and the circle on the arm are not aligned you'll never get 129 .

Absolutely a Dish can "go bad".... the 129 signal is fragile enough with a perfectly shaped Dish... any tweaking on the left side of the Dish (when standing behind it) will kill the 129 signal completely.

Other things that can happen is the arm can get bent... the skew plate can get tweaked.... the integrated bracket can get twisted....

Are you sure the mast is completely plumb and level?

The left side is where he said that he could see the problem with the dish (I didn't notice anything, but I don't know what I'm looking for either); it's supposed to be replaced tonight.

Thanks for all of the input guys, it's been much appreciated! :)

I've had it happen too. Not too common, but I spent a long time many many months ago and just couldn't get 129. Got late and dark. I came back the next morning with a new dish and had 129 peaked in a matter of minutes. Try a different dish. (everything new...skew plate and reflector)

Switched reflectors and still no 129; now the system info is indicating LNB drift, which it hadn't before.

Call Dish and get the lnb head replaced.

The drift was on one of the heads that the installers were trying out, the original head and others that have been tried are all okay.

I've been searching this forum like a madman for the past week trying to find anything that sounds like my situation, today I found this thread, which sounds almost exactly like my problem:

satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/145987-cant-get-129-check-switch-help.html (Sorry, but the site isn't allowing me to post the working link.)

After reading that thread, I...not the installers who have been at the for three days, discovered that one of the problems was that they didn't properly point the dish; the 110 signal was coming in on the 119.

I guess that I should have called Dish from the beginning instead of my local "authorized" retailer/installer; lord only knows what this is going to end up costing. They're supposed to be coming back tomorrow for what will be the fourth time. :no

Last edited:
The dish is now back on the roof and things are back to normal. Turned out that the installer's meter was misreading the 119 as the 129; once that was discovered, he realized that the location he had picked on the ground would not work due to a neighbor's large oak tree. So, it's back on the roof at a slightly different location that it was before the roofing started and the signal is better that ever.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, it was greatly appreciated. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)