Bad Impression

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some years ago, I was on a Canadian forum covering pretty much all the subjects we deal with here.
I wasn't rubbing it in that I was American, just in case there was any bias.
Posted some useful info, as was well-liked.

Then, I noticed some benign posts disappearing.
And the owner commented that he used the site to make a living.
Right about then, I found SatGuys, and haven't gone back. ;)

Not that I want to defend the Fridge site...
...I think I visited their web page once.
It was obviously a hacker haven, and I didn't need any such equipment so I left.

But, joining a forum, and posting a link in your first comment...
... that'll get 'em mad at you most anywhere.
Especially if it links to a competing product or site.

Why? Well, that's what spammers do.
I moderate a much smaller site than this one, and see 2 - 150 spam posts a day.
The average may be more like 25, though.
99% are so far off-topic there's no question.
But for any post that IS on-topic, the OP was treated very rudely.

Scott said:
Good news Anole, I don't use this site to make a living. ;)
Naw, you'd go hungry and be out in the snow! ;)

Since I am co-owner and admin of the site in question, please allow me to address the comments here and set the record straight...

I was scouring the various C-band and FTA boards using google, came across one where people were still thinking 4dtv was dead, so thought I would post a little something about it not being dead and that people here still have subscriptions and are using HITS.... well

I returned to check if any replies were there and I saw my message had been deleted and left with the word "RETARD" and I was banned from logging in. They won't even let this person know! I was only hoping to spread the word so we snag more subscribers and keep it alive.

Is this the norm for most FTA boards ? being hostile and jealous rather than letting people know the truth ?? I do think that site sold things, though by their name they sound more like they would promote a fridge, *extremely* unprofessional, childish administration.

You failed to mention that you were given a banned reason: You made 2 posts and dropped 5 or 6 links to other FTA sites. They were not live but per site rules, links to other FTA sites or dealers are prohibited, live or dead. "satelliteguys.us" and "skyvision.com" repeated several times are certainly dead links. The only links to other FTA sites we allow are over to Rick's Satellite. We cannot vouch for anyone else and therefore do not allow other FTA links period.

We normally only have to ban 2 types of people: outright spammers and pirates. The "retard" title instead of banned seems appropriate. Technically by coming to our forum and dropping so many links to other sites, even thought dead, puts you in the "spammer" category. You did not take the time to read our rules and policies.

You also posted in a thread dating back from when Motorola said they were discontinuing support for 4DTV. We have other threads and discussions talking about W5 and the conversion and options there. We link to Rick's for conversion info and refer people there that need details and technical assistance. We do appreciate you trying to set us backward folks straight though, since you quickly determined that we must not know anything based on the old thread you posted in.

Hmmm...
Sounds like you hit a nerve on that site. Must be the DishNet converts who are bitter about the revival of 4DTV. He hee...

We do what we can to encourage "big dish revival". Not just for 4DTV but for general FTA use. In "DishNet converts" you are referring to those who dropped their subs and went OTA/FTA, correct?

By any chance, did you happen to post a web link to here on that forum? Most forums on the Internet have a strict policy against posting links to other forums, especially ones dealing with the same topics as they are considered competition. Usually, this is explained in the site rules when joined.

Please note that this is just my personal observation and I'm not affiliated with any forum.

Yes, this is what happened as explained in my first response. The reason is not just because of competition, it is because of the number of shady dealers and sites out there. We do not want live or dead links to anyone we do not know and cannot endorse as legit.

Calling people names like retard is very unprofessional.
Selling shareware is unprofessional and unethical but that is what the fridge site owner does.
There used to be a pirate site that would ban people and call them retard or other names and this is probably where this guy came from.
There have been numerous threads started at the fridge site comparing cheap products with other cheap products. It reminds me of trying to polish a turd to make it look better than another one.
These cheap product threads clearly show the lack of experience and knowledge in the site owner. It is obvious the guy does not know what he is doing when it comes to testing products. In one thread I saw, he claims a piece of Styrofoam is installed in a particular lnb to absorb microwaves and he expects you to believe this nonsense.
It is of little wonder that the products he sells come out on top in these little tests. The other inferior products are all referred to as clones...lol.
IMO, he did you a favor by banning you. That site does not represent most of other fta sites as a whole. GregH

We do not sell shareware or other software. If we sold our private file for a certain receiver we would be rich from the number of people contacting us to buy it. Not for sale. Not pirate either, just an improved, easy to use version for real FTA that fixes some of the things the factory lacks, and addresses some of the complaints about the factory firmware.

As mentioned before "retard" is the "banned" term at our place. Since we normally ban only spammers and pirates it seems appropriate.

The "styrofoam" you referred to was installed in both brand LNBFs. If it is just foam then I guess China, a country known for efficiency and cutting corners whenever possible just puts a piece inside each LNB for charity. No reason or function at all, right? BTW, the "other guy" came out quite well in the last product testing, and I was happy to say so and point out that products strengths. His product did quite well. I also backed everything up with real testing, pictures and documentation.

Not that I want to defend the Fridge site...
...I think I visited their web page once.
It was obviously a hacker haven, and I didn't need any such equipment so I left.

But, joining a forum, and posting a link in your first comment...
... that'll get 'em mad at you most anywhere.
Especially if it links to a competing product or site.

Why? Well, that's what spammers do.
I moderate a much smaller site than this one, and see 2 - 150 spam posts a day.
The average may be more like 25, though.
99% are so far off-topic there's no question.
But for any post that IS on-topic, the OP was treated very rudely.

Hacker haven? Strange, since we work with all 3 platform providers in the USA and several CAS providers. Our store never ever sold "dongles" IKS, Viewsat, Sonicview or any of the other pirate stuff. I personally have flipped out on pirate inquiries many times. I would post links to some of our anti-piracy stuff but to go to another forum and drop links is rude. Yes, we do encourage a guy with a SV, VS or PS to use it for what it should be used for: real fta, and I know that rubs some guys raw.

Anyway OP, if you felt you were treated unfairly you should have contacted the admins of the site, and when posting here you should have disclosed your ban reason was for violating the rules for live or dead links to other sites. Other than eliminating your references to other sites your posts were left intact. You were banned because of the number of "drops" you gave in your first two posts. We appreciate if you were legitimately trying to provide W5 info but you came out dropping references multiple times to other sites. Why not just share what you know? And as mentioned before you dragged up a long ago aged thread and apparently missed the ones with conversion info for the 4DTV guys.

I have in the past seen some questionable stuff on the "refrigerate freedom 2 aire " site LOL....oh and the site owner only allows links to "slow go motorsports"? The site where they like to post up the open feeds so every search engine on the planet shows feeds in search results. Nice.

I wonder if the freon site still has any HU cards laying around bahaaaaaa j/k

t134,

Everything else aside, the use of a derogatory word seems to be at the heart of this reaction. From a marketing standpoint it might be worth considering dropping that word in favor of something more neutral and mainstream. Why alienate potential customers?

Last edited:
Look at it this way in life everything has a rule that's why it important to read them and learn them, once you know the rules then you abide by them no need for warnings we are understanding people, if you steal and are caught the cops are not going to let you get away the court might give you a break for first offense but you have established a record and so on in life just take it as a lesson when you visit else were know the rules before posting some site and forums are not as forgiving.

here is what I received when I became a member here.

Dear Mr.d,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, we are America’s Satellite Information Source!

We want you to feel at home and part of our family at SatelliteGuys which is why you will find our staff the friendliest staff of any online forum, and our Satellite News, Talk and information is second to none!

At SatelliteGuys we don’t have too many rules, but here are three important ones to remember:

1) NO HACK TALK - At SatelliteGuys we do not discuss how to get (or steal) satellite signals. We actually work close with the satellite companies and their signal theft divisions in helping stop satellite theft.

2) NO NAME CALLING - At SatelliteGuys we consider everyone friends who we have not met yet. And to keep with our friendly atmosphere we do not allow name calling (flaming) of other SatelliteGuys members.

3) NO SPAMMING – Do not post any messages or ads of a commercial nature. SatelliteGuys.US is an expensive site to operate, and because of this we rely on our sponsors and donations from our members (who we call Pub Members).

We hope that you remember these three simple rules, violation of these rules could result in your removal of your access to SatelliteGuys.US. And we don’t want to do that. Thanks for your understanding!

Last edited:
After reading the retort by t134, I made sure to check my pc for remnants of the one visit there.

Don't get any on ya. Right?;)

We do not sell shareware or other software. If we sold our private file for a certain receiver we would be rich from the number of people contacting us to buy it..
It is not free if you have to buy something to get, right? You are bundling up shareware and selling access to it with the OpenboxS9. When a person buys an OpenboxS9 from you they are given access to shareware such as your pvr tool which can be found on several different sites. You do not have anything for the openboxS9 on your site that is not available at other sites. You have do not have any copyrights listed that I can find.
Your green tint solution for the OpenboxS9 was posted on another site long before you investigated and posted the same solution in private for your OpenboxS9 customers.
Updating the firmware's satellite file does not significantly change the firmware, but by the way you advertise, It looks like you have private firmware which you do not. A satellite file similar to yours can be found in the 2011 OpenboxS9 firmware. Didn't you make an announcement that the 2011 firmware was bad and not to load it?l

As mentioned before "retard" is the "banned" term at our place. Since we normally ban only spammers and pirates it seems appropriate..
Retard is name calling. Anybody that has to call people names is not professional. If you do not respect other people, you will not be respected.

The "styrofoam" you referred to was installed in both brand LNBFs. If it is just foam then I guess China, a country known for efficiency and cutting corners whenever possible just puts a piece inside each LNB for charity. No reason or function at all, right?
Lol...You are not going to absorb any microwaves between two solid pieces of metal and that is exactly where your piece of microwave absorbing Styrofoam is located.
The lnb(s) you were "testing" cost pennies to manufacture so yes, every part of a penny counts!!! The real reason for the Styrofoam is probably tied to the screw that is located under the Styrofoam. Maybe you will figure it out one day.

One more thing:
You have bashed a lot of sites and the only site you recommend or support is Rick's. The only site Rick recommends for an OpenboxS9 purchase is yours. Do we see a pattern here?
If any of us had bashed your site like you have bashed Sad Guys, you would ban us as "retards" and we would not be able to post at your site. You have not been banned here for bashing Sad Guys because this site is ran by adults. GregH

In my opinion their site looks like junk. Makes me feel like I am at the circus or a strip club.

Plus they only have 2,652 members weak I think we all know why.

Wonder why they use mybb with know SQL Injection Exploit's.

Glad to be at satguys. Thanks Scott for not trying to monetize the hell out of the site.

Strikes me as odd, a tad interesting and a little funny how first there was the case of Feedman talking about one of the pet peeves of this forum, and a lot of users quickly jumped in the bandwaggon of "let's go against Rick and his band of feed hunters", now its the time to go against FridgeFTA using yet another pet peeve.

wallyhts said:
Makes me feel like I am at the circus or a strip club.
That phrase is actually a pretty good advertisement, who doesn't love a circus or a strip club? come on!! and if you combine it:

A stripper circus!!! AAAAWESOME!!!

wallyhts said:
Thanks Scott for not trying to monetize the hell out of the site.
I take it you love Google-ads, oh wait no, you don't get google-ads because you are PAYING (ad hominem tu quoque).

It is not free if you have to buy something to get, right? You are bundling up shareware and selling access to it with the OpenboxS9.

• [a] It is free, he is not charging for the software but merely deciding who can get it from his server and who wont, based on who actually bought the receiver.

See, unlike other companies, he tested it on his own receiver, went all in looking for the piece of software that worked with it, based on the structure that receiver was based on, with the ongoing risk of bricking his receiver. There are other companies who sold this same receiver (with a different name) and was full of bugs, so people complained because they were sold something that was not working properly and as adviced.

It isn't shareware, it is freeware, it was developed based on open source and marketed by various BIG companies, that's the reason it can be distributed for free bundled with the receiver, if you know of somebody with a receipt or a credit card charge made by OpenBoxS9.us for the concept of buying that software, then please let us know.

Retard is name calling. Anybody that has to call people names is not professional. If you do not respect other people, you will not be respected.
I'll recommend you to read all the attributive adjectives, otherwhise known as "calling names", made in THIS forum against "GoFastMotorSports" and "Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum" users:

Here's the example of the hit-n-run Feedman:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/231971-apology-fta-community.html

And all that just because people like to post thousands upon thousands of wildfeeds, yet i KNOW when the Super Bowl is about to begin, that site will be visited by lots of people who want to watch SuperBowl Feeds, i mean, people love their super bowl feeds, and posting transponder and symbol rates for those super bowl feeds in the clear, and if wanting to share that info regarding wildfeeds, backhauls, sporting events, concerts and overall free satellite channels without having to be screened to see if you're worthy of reading that info is wrong, then, i love being wrong.

You have bashed a lot of sites and the only site you recommend or support is Rick's. The only site Rick recommends for an OpenboxS9 purchase is yours. Do we see a pattern here?
So much for that argument since "GoFastMotorSports" and "Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum" is also selling the OpenBox S9 at a really low price, it competes directly with FridgeFTA and OpenBoxS9.us

truckracer said:
I wonder if the freon site still has any HU cards laying around bahaaaaaa j/k
Its not the only place where there are references to cold things, i know a forum where they have a gelid moderator :D j/k.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I got to admit I am disappointed at times because all of the hot receivers over the past year or two have not been sold by our sponsors. They won't sell them because of issues these receivers have (not to mention that none of them are FCC Certified or UL listed.) but I am very hopeful that in 2011 this will change. I think exciting times are ahead.
FCC Certification and UL listed can also bring us a painfully buggy Solomend.

Genna said:
I was scouring the various C-band and FTA boards using google, came across one where people were still thinking 4dtv was dead, so thought I would post a little something about it not being dead and that people here still have subscriptions and are using HITS.... well
How old was the thread? Did you had to dig in that forum not noticing the new threads regarding the future of Digicipher capable receivers?

Genna said:
Is this the norm for most FTA boards ? being hostile and jealous rather than letting people know the truth ?? I do think that site sold things, though by their name they sound more like they would promote a fridge, *extremely* unprofessional, childish administration.
You've been registered at this forum for two years now, you might as well know that people on FTA forums tend to band up against those they fear or view as a threat, and even try to make them do things the way the want to, because they come from a bigger forum.

PS
For a moment there, i tought you were gonna label this thread "an apology to the 4DTV community"... oh wait, nevermind.

Cheers!!!

Mike

Last edited:
So much for that argument since "GoFastMotorSports" and "Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum" is also selling the OpenBox S9 at a really low price, it competes directly with FridgeFTA and OpenBoxS9.us
Is it just me, I don't get the statement.
GoFast and Rick's Sat are 1 in the same, same with Fridge and OpenBosS9.

(ad hominem tu quoque).

Learn something new today.

Yes I am a pub member because I what to support this site because in my view its the best.

Last edited:
Thread honestly has run its course and is going nowhere except for the bickering

If you like a site then go there
If you dont liek them then dont go
Its that simple :)

closed (and very rarely do I do this)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts