bad influence?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dee you'll have to call that one Stubby, haha. That's the shortest pole I've seen a dish on.
It's a great dish though, got 2 of them. One is not hooked up right now, the other is pointed at
AMC5 for the horse races. Very good gain on those 84e dishes.

Actually that one is taller than a few of the others. The White Springs dish is only about 4 or 5 inches from the ground. I don't know why he put such short poles in.
The only thing I can imagine is that he was using left over scrap poles they cut off when they built our fence. He never was much on buying anything new. :rolleyes:
(the one I just put in was already short, just about waist high to me. Too short for a fence post, must have been scrap.)

My dad is supposed to come by later and bring some gadget to test my plugs with.
He said my house is only a 2 wire house because it was built in the 50's and doesn't have a separate ground wire like modern house do. And all the other houses around here were all built at the same time, we call them cookie cutter houses. My dad said that someone else on the cable TV may have bad wires and is sending electricity back up the wire to the pole where there's a thing that splits it to four houses at a time and that may be where it's coming from if it was shocking me when I was touching the wire before it came into my house.

He said it could be that or any number of a lot of other different things so he'll see what he can figure out.

The house has original wires but most of the switches and outlets have been replaced and the breakers outside have been rewired a few times after hurricanes and storms damaged stuff. It was inspected by the city just a few months ago.

I've avoided the problem by not touching wires. :) (well I try not to...)

With those dishes mounted so close to the ground, kinda looks like a mushroom farm. lol.:D

Good that your dad can come over and figure out what's going on.:)

You should not get shocked from a cable TV or satellite coax cable by simply touching it. The voltage (even with LNB power on the satellite cable) is too low, and so is the amperage. I wouldn't lick a coaxial cable, but there should be no shock from touching one.

Land phone lines are another story. There is a constant 48v DC on the wire pair, with 90 AC during a ring. If the 48v DC isn't enough for some to feel, the voltage during a ring certainly is.

Actually that one is taller than a few of the others. The White Springs dish is only about 4 or 5 inches from the ground. I don't know why he put such short poles in.
The only thing I can imagine is that he was using left over scrap poles they cut off when they built our fence. He never was much on buying anything new. :rolleyes:
(the one I just put in was already short, just about waist high to me. Too short for a fence post, must have been scrap.)

My dad is supposed to come by later and bring some gadget to test my plugs with.
He said my house is only a 2 wire house because it was built in the 50's and doesn't have a separate ground wire like modern house do. And all the other houses around here were all built at the same time, we call them cookie cutter houses. My dad said that someone else on the cable TV may have bad wires and is sending electricity back up the wire to the pole where there's a thing that splits it to four houses at a time and that may be where it's coming from if it was shocking me when I was touching the wire before it came into my house.

He said it could be that or any number of a lot of other different things so he'll see what he can figure out.

The house has original wires but most of the switches and outlets have been replaced and the breakers outside have been rewired a few times after hurricanes and storms damaged stuff. It was inspected by the city just a few months ago.

I've avoided the problem by not touching wires. :) (well I try not to...)

I wondered if the house has the two prong outlets. That explain pretty much what's going on. You're probably using the adapters that plugs into the two prong outlet, letting you plug electronic gadgets that that three prongs. Rewiring the house can get expensive. If you own the house, then maybe you could get a loan to have the house rewired.
Just be careful for now on, Dee-Ann.

All the outlets were replaced with modern outlets because we could not plug anything in anywhere when we moved in.

I could never afford to rewire the place. About 25 years ago I was living in a tiny little garage apartment that I bought cheap. It was only two rooms and about 400 square feet. I had to have it rewired because it had screw in fuses. They charged me $2,700 and they didn't even give me new switches or new outlets. They even left the old wires in place and ran the new wires from below. Very lazy men, very shifty operation. They really took me to the cleaners on that.

I've been told it would cost over $5,000 to rewire this place. I would rather sell the house than spend that much on it. Not that I could come up with that kind of money anyway.

Well, in other news..

I've spent the day fighting with that silly coolsat tuner.
I find it very difficult to understand and or use.
I more or less have it working but not as well as it should be, I think.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the little bugger.
It's probably just me though. It's new to me and I just don't get it yet.

One thing I did accomplish with it though, I changed it from being a pirate box to being a legal one. Someone said that menu option for autoroll keys was pirate stuff. Mr Iceberg posted a link to some files for fixing it.
I bought a cable (that I had a very difficult time getting to work btw) and ran the program to reset it all back to legal. So that's a good start I guess.
It sees the satellites it is supposed to see but it's so cryptic and clumsy to operate. The stupid little manual I downloaded for it is pretty useless unless you are a nerd. I can't imagine who in the world thought up that crazy box.

Well, I have a massive migraine from that stuff and life in general. I'm calling it a night early. Maybe tomorrow it will make more sense.

nite nite all. :sleeo

This stuff came sooooo close to getting piled up at the curb.

There was another little one that I took down because I couldn't see a use for it.
The little one left up is the nasa one.

It still may all end up there one day.

Attachments

• IMG_249.JPG
    IMG_249.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 102
Wait, wait! You had this little mushroom farm set up all the time, and didn't tell us? - :eek:
What a pleasant surprise!
They're probably pre-aimed at useful satellites.

Wait, wait! You had this little mushroom farm set up all the time, and didn't tell us? - :eek:
What a pleasant surprise!
They're probably pre-aimed at useful satellites.

Well, yes, and no.

The ex had a few of them up there and I had taken every one of them down and was about to throw them away then changed my mind. I ended up putting them back up plus a few that were stacked up in the weeds along the fence.

All I know is that at least one of them used to be aimed at the satellite with Fashion TV on it. That's the only one I knew anything about.

So considering that I had pulled everything down except the poles, I more or less was starting from scratch. And I had no clue on this planet what I was doing at first. I pretty much took a crash course in this stuff, spending a LOT of hours online reading stuff and a LOT of hours and days and weeks standing out back in the hot sun and mosquitoes trying to get anything on them.

It was no free ride, I had to work hard to get those ugly little things working.
Now I'm torn between keeping them and replacing them with ONE on a motor.
Considering how much time and effort I put into the things it's almost a shame to rip them all down, again, in a few months. Well, probably next spring.

I still think they are ugly and troublesome and they make for extra yard work.
And of course everyone things I've gone off my rocker now. Neighbors look at me funny and my friends just shake their heads.

I can say honestly though, it has been a somewhat fruitful learning experience, if not trying and tiresome.

Speaking of tiresome...

Nite nite....:sleeo

The funny thing is, all this work and learning I'm doing may all be for naught because IF I move up north (if he proposes) the place I would be moving too is buried in trees. Not a chance at putting up a dish there. Besides, he already said no to a dish of any kind. He doesn't watch tv much. Nor do I I guess, I'm just doing all this because I'm mostly bored, to be honest. It's mostly for ambient noise.

The few shows I like come on when I'm sleeping and I always forget to record them for later such as Patty Duke, Mister Ed, Leave it to Beaver, etc..

One thing I have learned rather quickly about this stuff is, don't get too attached to it because it comes and goes on a rapid basis. :(

Well I'm off to forage for groceries in the wild, wild grocery store..
TTFN!! :)

I would at least bargain for 1 Motorized Dish.
For me, it's not about "watching" TV either, it's more about the learning, and personal skill (or lack there of). Frankly, it's made me smarter.
Why read trashy novels when you can read instruction manuals, or try to use geometric equations. :)

The funny thing is, all this work and learning I'm doing may all be for naught because IF I move up north (if he proposes) the place I would be moving too is buried in trees. Not a chance at putting up a dish there. Besides, he already said no to a dish of any kind. He doesn't watch tv much. Nor do I I guess, I'm just doing all this because I'm mostly bored, to be honest. It's mostly for ambient noise.

The few shows I like come on when I'm sleeping and I always forget to record them for later such as Patty Duke, Mister Ed, Leave it to Beaver, etc..

One thing I have learned rather quickly about this stuff is, don't get too attached to it because it comes and goes on a rapid basis. :(

Well I'm off to forage for groceries in the wild, wild grocery store..
TTFN!! :)

I would at least bargain for 1 Motorized Dish.
For me, it's not about "watching" TV either, it's more about the learning, and personal skill (or lack there of). Frankly, it's made me smarter.
Why read trashy novels when you can read instruction manuals, or try to use geometric equations. :)

Dee Ann and Lak,

I have to agree with you both to an extent. I do like to watch some TV, but the thrill of the chase is what excites me. Like you stated Lak, it serves to improve your knowledge base.

My favorite channels are WSTV, RTN, THIS TV and the History Channel. These are the ones available on Ku Linear in FTA. Especially the History Channel. I can go about my research and still learn something from this channel.

I have personally learned quite a bit over the years from experiementing with this endeavor. Now, with my new receiver, I am learning more about LINUX and UNIX OS's and PCs in general. So, there you go... It leads you to new avenues that you didn't expect!

Watching the TV in its own rite isn't all that thrilling, it is just the fact that you can see results of your work that makes that worthwhile.

RADAR

Dee Ann,

Thanks for posting the "Dish Farm" Pic. You even took it at night when they were in full bloom. What you need to get is a Gnome to watch over them.

You have a great ability with this stuff, only a few gals ever post here.

Once you learn the "language" of the Coolsat receiver it is easy to program your sats. I have a Diamond 9000HD receiver and it is much the same as Coolsat for setup and scanning.

ps- might have to change it to SatalliteGuys&Gals.us

HI Dee-Ann,
Any update on the shocking experience? The last update was your Dad was coming over with a meter to check it out.

Back from the store and dinner in the oven. And am I hungry!

Someone posted a question about was my ex short but it seems to be gone now.
Well, he's taller than me. He's 5' 9" and I'm 5' 7" or there abouts. Maybe a little less these days. I think he put all the poles in short like that because they were probably left over scraps from when they put up our fence. I don't know. That's my best guess. I can't imagine him ever going and buying *anything* new, ever.. :rolleyes:
I'll ask my neighbor, maybe he mentioned why to him, they would chat over the fence sometimes.

Oh, and come to think of it, is it bad that they are close to the ground like that?
Would it be better if they were higher up?

My dad hasn't had a chance to come by yet but he said not to mess with things in the mean time. He said this is a two wire house, what ever that means. He said it's possible that something in here is wired backwards like a light or an outlet or something or maybe even a neighbor could have something wired wrong. He said just one thing wired backwards can mess up half the house. :confused: He said the house is wired in halves. I dunno. :confused: He's supposed to try and get by this weekend or early next week.

Oh, and history channel, where can I find that? I wouldn't mind having that as long as they don't run too much of that war garbage. I really, really hate war stuff. Yuk.. :down

Well two more of my favorite shows are on, Adam-12 and Dragnet.
It reminds me of when I was little and the world wasn't so evil. The big crimes were jay walking and parking in front of hydrants.

fline1.gif

Back from the store and dinner in the oven. And am I hungry!

Oh, and history channel, where can I find that? I wouldn't mind having that as long as they don't run too much of that war garbage. I really, really hate war stuff. Yuk.. :down

fline1.gif

The History channel can be found on AMC 4 @ 101.0W, TP 12.060 GHz H under the HOTEL Networks. Biography channel is there, too.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts