bad influence?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I dumped Galaxy 19 (I think).. I can't get Fashion TV :( on it and it's like 99% foreign stuff or religious stuff. Nothing there of *any* value to me.

So I moved the new dish I just planted and using my handy-dandy little birdog meter I found the PBS satellite, I think it is AMC 21.

I saw they have a channel on there called "Create" and *that* is just what I've been looking for.

Dang it!

While I was typing I discover that several of the PBS channels and the Create channel I wanted are gone! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!:rant: Why me???????

Ok. I don't know what to do at the moment. I'm so frustrated I need to go get a root beer float from Sonic and rethink this whole stupid thing!!

fline1.gif

Dee, not sure how many standard definition channels are left on AMC21, sometimes I can scan at night and get 4-5. Montana PBS is still there, far as I know, but most of the main feeds on 12140 and 12180 went HD only awhile back. Create , I think is still SD, but prob has AC-3 Dolby audio.

There is NO problem that can not be solved by the direct application of a root beer float directly to the tummy. :D

The stupid pc would not see but only a few of the PBS channels on AMC 21.
So I put the coolsat on it and told it to blind scan the satellite.
Guess what? The coolsat found a bunch of channels there.

Hmmm.. Ok.. Fine. So in frustration I turned *everything* off and went to sonic and got myself the biggest root beer float they sell.

I came back, had my treat and thought things over.
Nothing came to mind.

So I turned it all back on and tried again. This time, it worked. Um, ok........ :confused:

I am happy to say that I have thus far found five PBS channels.
Create, World, Montana, HD East and HD West. :D

Create looks to be exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find.
I have never heard of it before but their website looks very promising.
http://www.createtv.com

I also got to take a look at the history channel website and I see a show I very much want to see, "The Universe" Explore The Universe, Stars, Planets, Galaxies and Mysteries - History.com
All the war garbage however, that can take a flying leap. Booo...

So I think tomorrow I want to see if I can add a second lnb to an existing dish. :rolleyes:
Oh boy.... Headache time..

Oh, there is one problem I'm having that I don't understand.

The sound. It's all crazy.

Like White Springs. It only plays out of the right front speaker. Period.
Another channel named "SNG" which seems to play some ABC stuff, that one only plays out of the right rear speaker. That, is very, very, very annoying.
The PBS channels, ALL of them, I can not control the volume at all. I can not even mute them. The volume things on the screen go up and down but it never changes. The mute thing shows on the screen but the sound keeps playing.

Some channels, The volume only increases a little bit at first but as you continue to hold the button down, it just stays the same even though the screen things are increasing. :confused:

Some channels are soooooo loud they will wake the dead. Others are so low I can't hear them. White Springs is too loud and sounds distorted in addition to the right speaker problem.

Every channel has it's own weird quirks. Can't these people get together and share notes? Aren't there like standards about how this stuff is supposed to work or is it all cobbled together by a bunch of hillbillies ??

It's sooooo annoying.

Oh, and this is another weird problem. On the main TV, the picture looks pretty good for all the channels. But on all the other TV's in the house, it's different.
I have no problems with the picture on the other TV's. Looks pretty good.
BUT, White Springs. When the volume is down low the picture looks good. But when I turn the volume up, the picture gets all liney and jittery. It's like there are horizontal lines all in the picture and as people talk, the lines change. If there is a loud sound, the picture may blank out. If I continue to raise the volume which is low in all the house except the main room, the picture blanks out. When I lower the volume, the picture begins to wink back in and out. The lower the volume, the better the picture. The higher the volume, the worse the picture. :mad:

Now again, the only channel that does this is White Springs.

I also just discovered that the PBS channels do not put sound out to the other TV's in the house except for the PBS Montana, it works fine on the other sets.
But the rest of the PBS channels, I get no sound from them in the rest of the house. So what it boils down to is, I can only watch a few of the channels in the rest of the house. I can watch all of them in the living room with a few minor annoyances but if I want to watch TV in my bedroom, not so good.

OMG... I'm so frustrated now. There's so many weird and freaky things going on with all this stuff and I have no idea why or what to do. :rant:

fline1.gif

I also just discovered that the PBS channels do not put sound out to the other TV's in the house except for the PBS Montana, it works fine on the other sets.
But the rest of the PBS channels, I get no sound from them in the rest of the house. So what it boils down to is, I can only watch a few of the channels in the rest of the house. I can watch all of them in the living room with a few minor annoyances but if I want to watch TV in my bedroom, not so good.
All but Montana PBS broadcast the audio in AC-3 format as Turbo stated. You need something to decode it, which apparently your main TV setup does.

All but Montana PBS broadcast the audio in AC-3 format as Turbo stated. You need something to decode it, which apparently your main TV setup does.

Well how dumb is that? :mad:

What is with these people and all these crazy things on every channel being different???????? :mad:

I'm sure going to email them all tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind.

Everyone needs to stick to one thing and one thing only or stop their nonsense now!

TV is a mess, the internet is a mess, computers are a mess, roads are a mess, satellites are a mess! I am so sick of "new is good, old is bad"..
OMG! OMG! A new whatchamathingie is out! I have to run out and buy a brand new one and throw away the old whatchamathingie I bought last week because it's obsolete!

Why in the :censored: can't they pick ONE thing that works and stick with it?
QUIT trying to improve things! All you do is improve YOUR PROFITS while you make life miserable for everyone else on earth! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!

This is soooooooooooo stupid. I swear, I'm getting really close to tossing all this junk in the trash !!!!!

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

These channels are being uplinked for reception by PBS television stations, so they use the standards that the equipment at those stations is designed for. They are not really meant for us, we are not their intended audience. That is why there are so many standards, and the audio is configured differently from channel to channel. Since we are eavesdroppers, it is generally not a good idea to contact the originator of a FTA channel about reception issues. Its just part of the hobby, dealing with the different technology used by various uplinkers.

dual LNBs:

Somewhere in all the ranting, there was a comment about adding a second LNB to one of your dishes.
If you'll tell us which dish, and what two satellites you want to get, maybe we can offer encouragement (if appropriate) to that task.

So, for instance if you want two birds too far apart, we can tell.
But, if you want to get two birds that are too close together for your size dish, we can advise you there as well.
Some dishes (with longer focal lengths) can accommodate very close satellites with ultra small LNBs.

The other problem, is which satellite to aim the dish at.
Stronger ones can be a little off to one size; others really need to be right down the middle. - :up

You can experiment all you want, but if ya can get some general guidelines, it might be less frustrating. - :rolleyes:

Dee,
I feel your frustration at times I've felt the same way with FTA stuff....most of us have. When everything is working right we sit back and say aaaaah and enjoy. You mentioned Galaxy 19. Kuwait 2 has some decent shows and usually a movie in the evening. English with arabic subtitles. Everything starts at weird times...ten or twenty til or after the hour sometimes. My wife has no use for FTA 99% of the time but she seems to like this one channel. Good luck Blind:)

Dee,

Lets assume, your both sat receivers are connected to all your TVs via a single A/V Home Theater Receiver, and none directly to a TV. Your TVs in other rooms appear to be connected to the A/V Receiver via a reversed (Remote controlled) A/V Signal Selector & Component cables (if you need to select each time, in what room to watch TV) or an RF Modulator & Signal Amplifier & Splitter(s) (if it plays in all rooms simultaneously). In both cases, to hear in other rooms AC3 or PCM digital sound, your A/V Receiver should be able to process Digital In and output it as Analog Stereo Out, which it can't do. That's why you hear AC3 sound only in the main room via a set of speakers connected directly to the A/V Receiver via speaker wire (and not RCA Stereo Cable, as the rest of your TVs). On the other hand, when a sat channel has Mono or Stereo sound, and it's output from a Sat Receiver via analog RCA Stereo cable to your A/V Receiver, the sound then re-broadcast out of it via similar RCA Stereo Out and can be played by any TV in your other rooms.

As to the problem, where you hear a channel audio only from the Right Front Speaker of the A/V Receiver, you need to select in the A/V Receiver a mode to distribute original Mono Sound over all speakers. When you hear a sound out of the Right Rear Speaker only, it may be because one of Surround Sound Processing Modes is selected in your A/V receiver to play a Mono Sound - change it to All Speakers / No Processing mode. Generally, look through your A/V Receiver's Manual, and try playing with changing sound processing and audio signal distribution modes btw speakers (connected to it only via speaker wire) to find the right mode for a selected sat channel.

In addition, many Sat Receivers can't adjust volume of non-decoded AC3 Dolby or PCM Digital Sound, so you need to adjust it via your A/V Receiver and TV Set Remotes. If your each Sat Receiver is connected to the A/V Receiver via 2 audio cables (RCA digital coax and RCA Stereo, as they should), the A/V Receiver will usually auto select digital input for outputting via speaker wire or HDMI, and analog Input for outputting via RCA Stereo. However, if it doesn't, select proper Analog Audio In with your A/V Receiver's Remote to listen in another room - it won't work however for AC3 sound. You may need to assign an extra A/V Receiver's Digital In port for digital audio. Alternatively, you might be able to control Audio Out port selection for a particular channel with your Sat Receiver's Remote, or select a regular Audio track instead of AC3 if there's a choice. Use Universal Remote to control all your equipment, and better yet Learning Universal Remote with Radio Extender to control it from any room of the house.

Yes, your A/V Home Theater Receiver is a complex enough separate piece of equipment, and needs to be mastered to work with and understand all its functions and modes, and how its connected to and works with your other equipment. :)

Last edited:
Dee, the sound on WhiteSprings is funny, but I have found on my receivers, if I hit the Audio button, then the right or left arrow button, it causes the sound to go out to all the speakers , instead of just the right side. I'm using a Yamaha Home Theater receiver to decode the channels with Dolby Digital, but it also passes thru the regular PCM audio to all the speakers, on the other channels. Sometimes the sat receiver has to have that little nudge tho, by using the audio button, and the right/left arrow buttons.

These channels are being uplinked for reception by PBS television stations, so they use the standards that the equipment at those stations is designed for. They are not really meant for us, we are not their intended audience. That is why there are so many standards, and the audio is configured differently from channel to channel. Since we are eavesdroppers, it is generally not a good idea to contact the originator of a FTA channel about reception issues. Its just part of the hobby, dealing with the different technology used by various uplinkers.

Oh... :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)