bad install, Dish wants money for repair.

sl6t9

Original poster
May 24, 2006
About a month ago, i returned to dish network. i was not home when they installed it (my wife was) and the DNSC installer mounted my dish on a basketball goal. so now every time my sons score in basketball, I'll know because my TV goes out for a few seconds. i figured i could deal with that.. until they slam-dunked and completely threw the dish off aim.

i called dish and they said that I'd have to pay $30 dollars for a service call. i called the installer directly and was told that the goal was the only "suitable" location for mounting. i told him that i had been with dish before and that it was mounted on the house, not on the basketball goal. he wanted to charge me $45. i got confused and asked why dish wanted to charge me $30. he said "well that's just dish, if you want to pay $30 you should call them."

well i call dish. the woman apologized and scheduled a "free" service call.

guys come out to move my dish and gave me a $45 invoice. i said that dish told me it would be free and he laughed, telling me that it will show up as "installers fee" on my next bill.

my question: should the service call have been free? or should i have to pay $45.

Theres no way in hell that I would accept that as billable. I mean give me a friggen break the installer should be fired as well for that kind of crappy install. Thats like installing it to a damn tree..

jmcgee_jr said:
Theres no way in hell that I would accept that as billable. I mean give me a friggen break the installer should be fired as well for that kind of crappy install. Thats like installing it to a damn tree..
Wonder if he signed the Work Order?

as soon as i get off work, i'll post a picture for you guys to see for your own eyes. it's quite a work of art. it's like a basketball goal.. then this dish on top. when i saw it for the first time i couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
i took these on my camera phone before the installer took it down.

Dish1.jpg

Dish2.jpg

I would call Dish up and inquire as to whether you're being charged or not. If you are, then you need to supply the name and operator ID of the service rep you spoke to on the phone who told you otherwise. Dish has a funny way of backing down on charges when confronted with such facts.

You're lucky you didn't car pool that day and left the car in the drive way; Jethro Bodine (from Beverly Hillbillies) would of installed it on the car. Our course, I know he would of had a spool of RG-6 mounted on the back for when you took off.

Hummm, he didn't even plumb the goal!

Last edited:
Damn, now that should be the poster for how not to install a dish. I install for Dish and have been for the last three years. And the one thing I have learned with poor customer service is that if the customer puts up a big enough fuss, the customer usually always wins. But heres the facts on Dish, there are two kinds of people that installs dish when someone orders it. There are the local retailers, now these guys can be tricky, and the second would be the RSP also known as the regional service providers. Now its a roll of the dice who ends up getting your work order. And the problem with that is is that if you get a local retailer, they can do what ever they want with little or no ill effects. If they screw the job up they can just pass it on like it never happened. Which results in Dish network passing the job on to the rsp for that area which will end up usually charging a truck roll fee of 30 bucks, but heres the kicker, if you put up a big enough fuss or threaten to cancel due to poor installation, they will cave in, and if for some reason the csr your talking to doesn't seem to think so, ask for his or her supervisor and keep moving up the chain if be to get what you need. But eventually you can get that dish relocated for free.

lol can those should be his avatar! or Dish networks new campaign, signing up with dish network is as easy as a layup, or something about dish network slamming it home!

If it was done a month ago then there is a 90 day labour installation warranty on your system and you do not have to pay rich network or the idiots that installed it and then came back out to fix it.

it seems as though we have a slighly larger problem..

on top of charging me $49 for installation, i was also charged $79 for an LNB which i don't really remember getting. i looked for possible corrections/credits.. nothing. simply these charges:

AMERICA'S TOP 180 49.99
-DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98

-ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 5.0

-DISH HOME PROTECTION 5.99

-DALLAS NBC 1.5

-DISH HOME PROTECTION PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/21-06/28 7.58

-DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/24-06/28 -6.97

-DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/24-06/28 6.97

-DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/23-06/28 7.17

-INSTALLATION 49.0

-DISHPRO TWIN LNBF 79.0

-ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/24-06/28 -5.83

-ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/24-06/28 -5.83

-ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/23-06/28 6.0

-ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 05/31-06/28 4.67

-DALLAS NBC PARTIAL MONTH(S) 06/02-06/28 1.35

i added it up, the total came to be $211.57. you'd think they like partial month charges, eh?

and since i had dish home protection, shouldn't the $49 have been $29 anyway? i smell something fishy. douche network needs to clean themselves up.

I would never have believed that your dish was professionally installed without reading this post and viewing the pictures! Jay Leno would even like to see these! Thanks and Good Luck!

PS Maybe Blue Collar TV,too.

OMFG I have thought I had seen everything. That is the greatest!!! Yes I would definately email that one to everyone I could

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts