Bad Install that didn't happen!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
So 0n 12-2-2013 . My install time is between 12 and 4. Guy gets thereat 3:15 PM. Does site servey. Uses his app on his phone to find a spot to put dish. Open at equipment in kitchen to allow stuff to warm up. Very cool stuff by the way. And it would have been wireless he gave me that option. We after he put the dish up I here. Thats odd. Bottom line he put the dish in the wrong place. Removes dish now can't find a place to put it. At the end install cancelled. Said no place to put it so if the is service need it would be safe for tech. My option is he was running out of daylight and looked for a way to not get it done instead of a way to get it done. This morning I found 3 places it would have worked. And I dids tell him I do not care if it's in front yard or back yard. Very disapointing day. And a burned day off of work. Tech really seemed to know his DTV handbook tho. What a dork and now I have holes in my roof. Sorry for my rant. :)

No need to apologize, I would be upset if it happened to me. You should call Directv and ask for a supervisor to see what your options are. At the least they should fix your roof or pay for it to be done. They normally send out an install supervisor to make sure there is no line of sight.

Thanks I plan on following up. I have to check to see how to contact install without going thru all the numbers and automated stuff. I really believe if it was summer he would have got it done. And the way he blamed the phone app for the mistake made me made as well. Thanks

Well I called up got to a supervisor. I rescheduled install. Picked a Saturday, so I would not have to take another day off. Will have to see how it goes.

No need to apologize, I would be upset if it happened to me. You should call Directv and ask for a supervisor to see what your options are. At the least they should fix your roof or pay for it to be done. They normally send out an install supervisor to make sure there is no line of sight.

Chip,
Seen this one before. Most techs can to the LOS thing with a map and just need to get to the address to look for obstructions. Recent sat mapping systems even eliminate the need for the visit. What I think happened was the tech had to dump one job if he was going to make an appearance at all addresses on his list....so this one got dumped(unnecessarily). He was not late for the next scheduled job, bet ya!

Joe

I don't get this. I've had my share of mistakes but would not attempt an install unless I was certain there was a good Los & the system would work. It's just a waste otherwise, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sorry you had to go through this. If it were me I would contact a local retailer if available and see what they can do.

I don't get this. I've had my share of mistakes but would not attempt an install unless I was certain there was a good Los & the system would work. It's just a waste otherwise, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sorry you had to go through this. If it were me I would contact a local retailer if available and see what they can do.

That would work,
Retailers get paid for results.Techs get dinged for no call / no show, being late or not calling customers. The number of installations is not their prime concern...just looking good on paper. So I guess that is what happened.

Joe

Just put a new roof on my house last year, unnecessary holes in the roof would piss me off big time. Especially for someone playing the game it seems that he was, you'd think that he might stop and think for a moment and realize that a customer would probably call and complain about something like that.

If it weren't for the holes in the roof, I'd be bummed, but okay with it. With the hole deal, I'd be pretty mad.

I didn't really deal with a store. So not sure what brick and motor store I can go to. The person on the phone said I could get a additional 100 VISA. If the senior tech finds and issues when he comes the try and complete install. She took a list of my issues. And she is going to have him inspect roof. If I have any problems I will to spoke the his boss then and there. Also made time 8 to 12 so there is enough light and plenty of day to do the job. And the roof is the big thing. At least to me.

Well this morning is the day of the redo. Have the 8 to 12. Of course it's snowing. Hope that has no effect, very light. Cross my fingers!

Expect nothing to happen but expect a call letting you know.

Snow on lawns and roofs is just a deal breaker. It is very difficult to carry a ladder on a snow covered lawn and impossible to walk on a snow covered roof. Then there is the tuning issue. If the snow band is dense enough you will not get a signal.

It will be interesting to see how this unrolls..............Asphalt caulk on the old holes will repair the existing holes as well as new shingles. Neoprene or silicone caulk should not be used.

Joe

Expect nothing to happen but expect a call letting you know. Snow on lawns and roofs is just a deal breaker. It is very difficult to carry a ladder on a snow civered lawn and impossible to walk on a snow covered roof. Then there is the tuning issue. If the snow band is dense enough you will not get a signal. It will be interesting to see how this unrolls..............Asphalt caulk on the old holes will repair the existing holes as well as new shingles. Neoprane or silocone caulk should not be used. Joe

Honestly Im gonna disagree. Directv won't reschedule the install due to weather, that's up to the customer. They'll still send a tech out to do the install and of the snow bands are too dense the tech will be stuck waiting to get the dish peaked and possibly still be forced to get a waiver or they market itself may be in a waiver for activations. We had the tornados roll through here a few weeks back and Directv still didn't reschedule any jobs. Weather isn't as much a factor as it once was

Honestly Im gonna disagree. Directv won't reschedule the install due to weather, that's up to the customer. They'll still send a tech out to do the install and of the snow bands are too dense the tech will be stuck waiting to get the dish peaked and possibly still be forced to get a waiver or they market itself may be in a waiver for activations. We had the tornados roll through here a few weeks back and Directv still didn't reschedule any jobs. Weather isn't as much a factor as it once was

Hutch,
You are probably correct...........and it is a management error that will come around to bite DirecTV. When all installations were done by subcontractors they could do that. They were buying completed installations and if one contractor arrived during white-out conditions and wouldn't climb they could either pressure that guy to try it if he ever wanted to work again or reassign another tech. Eventually someone would get it done and they didn't care who. But if they try that with an employee and something happens all fingers will point at DirecTV.

I think they are aware of this. Word on the street is they are no longer allowing techs to walk on roofs or leave the ladder when doing installations. They have access to the same weather radar as everyone else and have a responsibility to provide a safe work environment for employees.

"Hello, DirecTV? Yes, I'd like to get my lawn repaired. Your man fell off my roof. I called an ambulance and they drove right across my lawn. After the man died the police were here and they drove on my lawn also. Now that everyone is gone I need to get you to repair my lawn and I will need to get my system working on...I still don't have a picture."

It goes like that.

Joe

Guy was here if he could have moved around on the roof he would have done install. Too much snow. I decided to cancel and wait till spring. Enough screwing around. besides getting NFL ticket free for three games not that big a deal. Thanks for all the input.

Guy was here if he could have moved around on the roof he would have done install. Too much snow. I decided to cancel and wait till spring. Enough screwing around. besides getting NFL ticket free for three games not that big a deal. Thanks for all the input.

Does it require a roof mount off of the ladder? I can see that having to be rescheduled

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)