Bad LNB or Switch?

AcuraCL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Sitting here today and ESPN just went away and got the "lost satellite" message. Tried a 1-finger front panel salute, unplugged the unit for about a minute, did some check switch operations. Some clouds today, but this has been going on now for 4+ hours (no rain and not even "heavy" overcast).

Check switch says everything's ok. I have a DP34 with 119 on input 1, 110 on input 2 and 105 on input 3. I can't seem to get any even tp's on 119. I switched inputs 1 and 3 and the problem persists.

Which makes me think the switch is ok.

Can the LNB go out and take only even tp's? Or does a problem like this have to be the switch?

Any of you installer expert guys have any insights for me?

Yeah my guess is it the 119 LNB, yes they can go out like that and only show even or odds.

Bypass the switch by connecting the lnb wire directly to the tv input. You can use a 75 ohm connector to do it or a complete seperate cable, if you have one. Then if you do not get a signal, it is the lnb and if you do get a signal it is the switch.

Thanks a lot for the info guys !

I'll try the switch bypass as you suggested. Just happen to have an inline connector handy.

Enjoy your holiday !

So I bypassed the switch and indeed, the even tp channels on 119 were still out.

However we noticed that they come back in in the evening. In fact, after a few weeks of observing, when the temp. outside gets to 75-80, the even tp channels come back.

Now, I have a Superdish with 110/119/105. I don't use 105. Any chance I can retask that 105 LNB to the 119 position? Is 105 the lone outside LNB, and 110/119 the double LNB? Can I replace the 119 LNB myself by buying a new one on Ebay/DishStore, or does it have to be aligned or activated after installation?

I don't want to bug Dish to do the repair (and possibly have to buy a LNB from them) because as soon as FIOS is available, I'm likely going to jump ship.

Definitely a bad LNB. And no, you cannot use the 105 as a 119. This is because of the signal type that each of the LNBs use. 119 is DBS, 105 is FSS. These are not cross-compatible. Find yourself a DP dual and replace the 119 lnb, run a check switch, and you should be back in business. Replacing it is as easy as taking out the screw on the bottom of the LNB that holds it in the bracket, and taking loose the cable from the LNB to the switch. Perform the reverse operation to install the new one, and you're done. Check out your local retailer. Sometimes they have older LNBs laying around that they will part with pretty cheap. Also check any local flea markets or swap meets. Dish parts are very common at these events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts