Bad lnb?

lance rockit

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I have a question that someone on this forum may know the awnser to. I was using a 10' foot c-band dish with a ku band lnb to recieve programming from e* off the 119 sat. I was doing this because of line of sight problems with the dish network 20" dish and the 10' dish was already installed. However, the 10' was damaged in a wind storm and I decided to try a dish 500 were I have a line of sight. I bought a used unit and tried to get signal with no success. the lnb is a legacy twin (I have a dp510 and a 4900). My son uses dish network also. His is a dishpro lnb. I put the legacy twin on his system and checked to see if I was getting signal from 110 or 119 and I was not. His worked fine. I assume that the legacy twin is not working. I'm basing this assumation on the fact that a dish pro reciever is backwardly compatible with a legacy lnb and "knows" how to switch between 110 and 119 or you should recieve one or the other while in the installation mode. Any comments would be appreciated before I get a new lnb.

Best Regards,
Lance

"check switch test"

thanks for your suggestions. i tried doing the "check switch" test on my own system (dp510 & 4900). both recievers say at the end of the test "no switch found", "installed switch: unknown". however, since i was using the 10' only on 119 this is the state they were in before trying to change dishes. maybe i should try to set the recievers back to factory defaults or something. are you sure you don't need to have signal from the sats before you do a "switch test"? any suggestions would be appreciated.

lance

lance,

get a sawsall, cut off the c- band pole, take the dish boxes to the driveway , run them over 5-6 times.

call 1.800.531.5000 and order a true MANS system, they will install it for the most part for free. :shocked

sateck01 said:
lance,

get a sawsall, cut off the c- band pole, take the dish boxes to the driveway , run them over 5-6 times.

call 1.800.531.5000 and order a true MANS system, they will install it for the most part for free. :shocked

I like this guys idea.
When you check switch it should say start out 1 of 38. It sounds like the way you described the situation you may have a line of site problem. And yes you will need signal before you check switch otherwise the receiver will not recognize any satellites. Also you need to check your lnb "is it two lnb's that fit in each side of the Y bracket or is it one lnb that fits both sides with 2 outputs. If it is 2 individual ones you need a sw21 switch. The last thing I would suggest is if your receiver goes to 1 of 50 on the check switch then you need to check your voltage on the wire outside, put the rec on a even transponer and you should have atleast 17 volts on the wire outside. If not time to get the sawsall out. If you have any questions you can email me @ tatesatelliteinstallations@direcway.com.

never heard of a MANS system, but thanks for the advice. do they have a web site? the old c band dish will be removed. i'm not using it for the old c band for this install. yes, i have a good line of sight (had to put it in the front yard) and yes i have the correct voltages for the odd and even transponders. again, will i or will i not get either 110 or 119 depending on which one i check in the install mode regardless of whether the reciever (dp510 & 4900) knows the lnb is a legacy twin or not? any suggestions would be appreciated.

best regards,
lance

Lance
Since mr sateck works for DirecTV, you figure it out.

since you are working with 2 different types of LNB's (Legacy and DishPro) you would need to do a check switch.

run a check switch with nothing installed to clear it out. then hook up the LNB and once you get 119 aimed, then run a check switch again and it should be working :)

Remember the quoted azimuth is magnetic. Get the reading from the point dish for your Zip code. After setting the skew once, set the elevation, and scan the azimuth slowly. If you get no signal, bump the elevation 2-3 degrees and try again. Do this with a direct cable from one LNB without a switch.
-Ken

just a follow up on my lnb problem. and a big thank you to iceberg. i took the legacy twin back over to my son's house (DP system) and did what iceberg suggested, i did a switch check without an lnb connected to "clear out" the reciever. next, i hooked up the legacy twin and checked the 119 signal on the DP reciever (his installation menu is totally different than on my DP510 & 4900) and yes there was a good signal. i then put the DP twin back and checked to make sure i had signal again. no i did not. i did a "check switch" test, went back to see if i had signal and yes i did. so, the logic of this is that with a legacy you don't do a "check switch" test until you have signal and with a DP you have to do a "check switch" before you can get signal. interesting!

best regards,
lance

Best thing to do is make sure the check switch cleans out everything before swapping different types of LNB's

DishPro stacks the frequencies
Legacy does not

I had a receiver that I hooked to my Legacy setup and had no signal. Then I found out it was set for DishPro...did the check switcht o clean it out and then it worked :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)