Bad news regarding Dish and "DRM"

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
It looks as if someone is forcing Dish to infect their HD streams with DRM. According to a memo we just received, very soon Dish will be sabotoging certain HD streams with so-called "DRM". So, we have been told to connect all HD receivers with HDMI, because at some point soon, certain HD channels will no longer be visible with component. This is going to be bad news for those HD customers who have older HD monitors or professional models which have no DVI or HDMI inputs. They will soon be cheated out of programming they pay for. I hope this is one of those false alarms that we receive and it never comes to pass, but somehow I doubt it. Get ready for fun times ahead with non-recordable events and time limits on recordings. 24hr PPV anyone? I really hope this is litigated. Dish wouldn't pull this kind of anti-consumer garbage unless they were being forced to by content providers. It doesn't serve any purpose for them. :no

No way they stop displaying HD channels via component. I don't believe it.

If that does happen I can promise Dish I will drop all service completely (AEP+HD) (2 HDTV monitors with component in only).

No way they stop displaying HD channels via component. I don't believe it.

Dish has already stated that certain providers will have them flag content to not be moved to an external drive. That it can only reside on the DVR itself. So it's not inconceivable that it would be spread to the content viewing itself.

If it's being foisted on DISH, the other providers are surely to follow when their renewals come up for the programming, if it hasn't happened already.

Remember, DISH's terms of service guarantee nothing regarding channel availablity.
They could change everything on the system to MPEG4 tomorrow and those on MPEG2 only hardware would be out of luck. Would they? NO but they can if they want to. My point is, if the content providers force them to adhere to the broadcast flag then there's nothing they can do about it.

Users can switch providers but eventually it will catch up with everyone.

Time will tell if the OP's information pans out, I just wouldn't discount it with a wave of the hand.

Agreed. This is somewhat similar to the flag for HD-DVD and Bluray where they can set it so that you can only watch in 480p if connected by anything other than HDMI.

The studios have not started enforcing it yet, but probably will at some point.

Agreed. This is somewhat similar to the flag for HD-DVD and Bluray where they can set it so that you can only watch in 480p if connected by anything other than HDMI.

The studios have not started enforcing it yet, but probably will at some point.

Where the hell is the EFF on this? This kind of abuse by content companies needs to be litigated pronto.

Where the hell is the EFF on this? This kind of abuse by content companies needs to be litigated pronto.

Great, but the rights holders just buy Congress to write the laws they want, so, at the end of the day, the only challenges that can stand up are Constitutional ones--and good luck with those with this Supreme Court.

Great, but the rights holders just buy Congress to write the laws they want, so, at the end of the day, the only challenges that can stand up are Constitutional ones--and good luck with those with this Supreme Court.

Very true. Just look at the DMCA. Copyright holder paid off congress to pass that piece of sh*t because they hated the rulings about fair use. So they wanted a law that would allow them to get around fair use laws.

With my current TV, I won't like this.... My TV has multiple component inputs but only (1) DVI. I've been contemplating getting an HD-DVD player and that will need that DVI input.

With my current TV, I won't like this.... My TV has multiple component inputs but only (1) DVI. I've been contemplating getting an HD-DVD player and that will need that DVI input.

Same with my Sharp Aquos 37", ended up buying a HDMI switch from monoprice so I could hook up the receiver and my 360 to it.

That is fine, all providers can block it due to the channel requests. I will just get rid of all my providers and watch TV over the air or worse, just stop watching TV all together.

I understand trying to protect your IP, but the number of people who are recording the HD signal has to be so minute that it is not going to make a difference anyway.

That is fine, all providers can block it due to the channel requests. I will just get rid of all my providers and watch TV over the air or worse, just stop watching TV all together.

I understand trying to protect your IP, but the number of people who are recording the HD signal has to be so minute that it is not going to make a difference anyway.

Minute? A huge number of people are using 622 and 722 receivers. DVRing HD content is very common.

Any chance of posting a copy of the memo either as a scan or in text form?

Here's what it says word for word.

Training Blast
Customer Education: HD Cable Usage

When connecting a ViP receiver to a television, remember to use an HDMI cable if the customer's television supports HDMI.

A component cable connection will provide an HD picture. However, this is not the best solution for a customer that has an HDMI supported HDTV.

In addition, Digital Rights Management will be in effect very soon. Customers may not be able to see some HD channels when using a component cable. When possible, always use an HDMI cable.

Think ahead now, and prevent future customer issues.

Minute? A huge number of people are using 622 and 722 receivers. DVRing HD content is very common.
And now that BluRay and HD-DVD burners are making it to the market, content providers want to prevent you from burning that HD content to high quality BluRay or HD-DVD discs.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)