Bad OTA adaptor?

jrat69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Indiana
Lately I have noticed my OTA channels disappearing, This happens 2 or more times a week. I do a reset, and they are back. I went to sleep last night watching OTA, when I turned on the hopper this morning they were gone again, a reset did not fix it, I removed the module and even tried the other USB port, it didn't work. Finally I removed the OTA module, reset the receiver, then re-connected the OTA, and did another reset, and they are back. For how long I don't know. Do OTA modules go bad? Should I go ahead and get another one and see if that fixes it? They are not that expensive.

I am sure they can, but I have not seen one go bad personally. Since this issue started have you gone into the OTA tilw in the diagnostic menu and had it re-scan the locals?

Jason, I haven't tried that, I have checked when the OTA channels disappear, and I go to diagnostics it tells me that I have to install a OTA module, even when it is installed.

Jason, I haven't tried that, I have checked when the OTA channels disappear, and I go to diagnostics it tells me that I have to install a OTA module, even when it is installed.
That sounds like the OTA module isn't being recognized. Have you tried to plug it into one of the other USB ports?

Don't know if it applies, but I found the OTA MUST be plugged directly into one of the Hopper USB ports, and not into a USB splitter. My attempt at such resulted in much of what has been discussed here.

Last edited:
Don't know if it applies, but I found the OTA MUST be plugged directly into one of the Hopper USB ports, and not into a USB splitter. My attempt at such resulted in much of what has been discussed here.
I had mine plugged in to a powered hub for over a year, no issue. That said, I have moved it into one of the USB ports on the Hopper, still no issue...

I had mine plugged in to a powered hub for over a year, no issue. That said, I have moved it into one of the USB ports on the Hopper, still no issue...
I was trying a non-powered, which obviously was a mistake. All I had on hand at that moment.

I found, at least originally (I would not "Hop" until the OTA module was out) that my OTA module was more reliable plugged directly into a Hopper port than a powered hub. Maybe it depends upon the hub, or the software changed.

It is plugged directly into the Hopper, and I have tried both usb ports on the back. SO far after removing it, resetting the receiver, plugging it back in and doing another reset, it has been working. I do watch a lot of MeTV which is only available OTA. I wish Dish would add it and Atenna TV. my 2 favorite OTA channels.

My OTA module gets lost quite often. All I do is reboot the Hopper and the OTA is back again.

Since I have a recording scheduled on an OTA channel I try to remember to check if the OTA is working and
do the reboot if the channels are gone again.

This happens no matter which of my Hoppers it is plugged into.

My OTA module gets lost quite often. All I do is reboot the Hopper and the OTA is back again.

Since I have a recording scheduled on an OTA channel I try to remember to check if the OTA is working and
do the reboot if the channels are gone again.

This happens no matter which of my Hoppers it is plugged into.
WOW, what a headache. I have four OTA modules and never have had that issue. Have you tried out a new OTA module? I bet DIRT or a call in to CSR would get you a new module. At least it would be worth a try. It could be something else but I would bet on something is wrong with your OTA module.

When watching OTA channels I get some fairly frequent pixilation. This occurs even on OTA channels with 100% signal strength. Would this issue be caused by the OTA module or the Hopper? If it's the OTA module, would replacing it be a remedy?
I never had pixilation issues (same OTA antenna) with my VIP receivers.

When watching OTA channels I get some fairly frequent pixilation. This occurs even on OTA channels with 100% signal strength. Would this issue be caused by the OTA module or the Hopper? If it's the OTA module, would replacing it be a remedy?
I never had pixilation issues (same OTA antenna) with my VIP receivers.
Sure would be to me worth a try swapping out the OTA module. Check with Dish and maybe get a new one under warranty.

What happens if you connect the antenna directly to the TV? You could be getting tree leaf interference, too much signal, etc. If you see a perfect picture when directly connected to the TV you have narrowed it down a bit better.

WOW, what a headache. I have four OTA modules and never have had that issue. Have you tried out a new OTA module? I bet DIRT or a call in to CSR would get you a new module. At least it would be worth a try. It could be something else but I would bet on something is wrong with your OTA module.
Yes, I've been planning on getting a new OTA module but just have never got a "round tuit"
Also need to pick up a Bluetooth mod for my Joey.

OTA here is very, very poor. I live over 50 miles from the transmitting tower and there is a mountain, Mt Tamalpais,
in the way so lucky to get any reception at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts