Bad People Selling Clones!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is there something I'm missing here? Everyone's talking a version that's not here? Not to sound sarcastic, but I'm a bit lost in the very location where I usually get the most help! Trying to fix a lockup issue and be up to date. Everyone says, "yes, there's a version" Then, "keep your versions straight" (paraphrased) and confusing me by saying not to confuse versions for S9 and S10....

What's the huge secret here? I understand being careful, and having approved versions... but going in circles asking for help for hours is rather irritating. Enough that I wish I hadn't ditched the former FTA receiver for Openbox. We turn here for trusted help.........instead of going elsewhere.....

What CAN I put in to update the version I stated a few posts back to attempt a fix? Please? Anyone?

You have to remember that this site is not a "software warehouse" and that the S10 box is not only relatively new , but there's some controversy on "clone" boxes going on . I can email you a link to the download section where you can get the file, but I can't tell you that it will work, and won't screw up your stb. PM me is you want a link.
:)

You have to remember that this site is not a "software warehouse" and that the S10 box is not only relatively new , but there's some controversy on "clone" boxes going on . I can email you a link to the download section where you can get the file, but I can't tell you that it will work, and won't screw up your stb. PM me is you want a link.
:)

Thanks! I'm very aware of what you say regarding software, and believe me, I APPRECIATE the fact that only legal and safe things are posted..... but in staying "on topic" of the issue of a power on/off issue that could either be corrected OR expose the box as not what it should be, I appreciate any help there is. If I had it to do all over again, the S10 would be replaced with something that is more manufacturer accessible for help, and less "experimental" (given the whole hobby IS experimental which makes it fun.)

Apparently, in the "bigger picture" I made a very poor choice in my upgrade. I don't surf other sites, trusting this one exclusively for my information, S10 supposedly is the same as S9 in many ways, yet it apparently is its own "beast" with issues, not just a size and appearance change. Again, my thanks. Will do as you ask.

Any particular channel ? I just scanned the tp and I'm watching V-Me without a problem , so far. The info key shows an SNR of 71%. I have the same receiver and chipset ID.

TXCN, V-Me, MRBI/Sino Sat, every channel on that TP. It starts off as a voice sync issue, then it freezes. I am showing a steady SNR of 76%

OK so the guy I got my S9 from contacted that "other" board's owner (you know, the one I don't like) and found out that the numbers that show whether they are clones or not DO NOT SHOW UP WITH EARLY FIRMWARE!! And not only that but those 777777 numbers only worked on the OLD FIRMWARE AND DO NOT WORK ON THE LATEST SKYBOX VERSION RELEASED 08/08/11. You have to use 8888 to see the CCID with the NEWER FIRMWARE!

So all this means that I got caught up in some "misinformation" or at least "incomplete" info that lead me to believe that my unit was a clone. While I don't particularly care for that "other" board's owner as I consider him to be a gold digger I don't however think that he would intentionally sell someone a clone box. And not only that, but I was probably a little over the top in thinking that the guy I purchased this used one from would intentionally try to deceive me about it's authenticity.

Ennywho, lesson learned here for sure, ie, next time I'll take a deep breath and wait until the smoke clears before I go pounding on a keyboard. :-( And others might want to think twice and verify stuff like this before you go posting it!

FYI, I updated my Openbox S9 with that Skybox S9 firmware dated 08/08/11 and it is running now. Don't know if there are any bugs in it or not as I just got it on but at least it did take it and I was able to use the 8888 code to see that my 9D1A CCID is a GOOD ONE, NOT A CLONE!

OK so the guy I got my S9 from contacted that "other" board's owner (you know, the one I don't like) and found out that the numbers that show whether they are clones or not DO NOT SHOW UP WITH EARLY FIRMWARE!! And not only that but those 777777 numbers only worked on the OLD FIRMWARE AND DO NOT WORK ON THE LATEST SKYBOX VERSION RELEASED 08/08/11. You have to use 8888 to see the CCID with the NEWER FIRMWARE!

So all this means that I got caught up in some "misinformation" or at least "incomplete" info that lead me to believe that my unit was a clone. While I don't particularly care for that "other" board's owner as I consider him to be a gold digger I don't however think that he would intentionally sell someone a clone box. And not only that, but I was probably a little over the top in thinking that the guy I purchased this used one from would intentionally try to deceive me about it's authenticity.

Ennywho, lesson learned here for sure, ie, next time I'll take a deep breath and wait until the smoke clears before I go pounding on a keyboard. :-( And others might want to think twice and verify stuff like this before you go posting it!

Very interesting, indeed. It was only a repeat of information from two different sites that had much discussion on the subject. And you have a point. Maybe it is best not to post anything. That way a person will never be incorrect. . . . . .

RT.

RT I guess it's mostly my fault as I should have done some research on my own when this came up. Next time I will. ;-)

I do wonder if anyone has read where someone has actually had a clone box killed by a firmware update?

I do wonder if anyone has read where someone has actually had a clone box killed by a firmware update?

I have read a lot and I have yet to see one post anywhere that says a box was killed because it was a clone.
If somebody does actually find a clone kill post or thread, please send me its web address. GregH

found out that the numbers that show whether they are clones or not DO NOT SHOW UP WITH EARLY FIRMWARE!! And not only that but those 777777 numbers only worked on the OLD FIRMWARE AND DO NOT WORK ON THE LATEST SKYBOX VERSION RELEASED 08/08/11. You have to use 8888 to see the CCID with the NEWER FIRMWARE!

that's potentially good news to me. I had to hit all 7's to get my CCID (using my April or May 2011 firmware) and I thought that was strange when I tried it considering I thought I read on one of the forums that it takes all 8's to make the CCID appear on an S10.

I think I"ll take the plunge to grab a newer firmware, do the "8"'s to find the CCID, see if it's in the genuine chip list. If it still appears to be a clone, I'll put back the April or May firmware on the machine and leave it at that. If it appears to be legit, I'll assume it is and see what happens (i.e. live happy forever after on the newest stable firmewares or see the receiver get bricked if the genuine CCID information is wrong and bricking actually exists).

I do think it's weird the firmware version can cause the CCID to change - you'd think it's something permanently configured within the chip and woudn't change with whatever routine it takes to poll the chip for it and display it on a diagnostics screen.

I have read a lot and I have yet to see one post anywhere that says a box was killed because it was a clone.
If somebody does actually find a clone kill post or thread, please send me its web address. GregH

but put the story here for us to see also. I am all ears.

I installed the Aug 8th firmware update for the S10, I looked at the CCID and it said "FFFF". Apparently I'm not the only one who has seemed to get a dummy chip ID using this firmware according to a posting on another forum. I decided to play it safe and rollback to the one that came with my box and I'll try a future firmware release to see if it seems to generate a valid CCID (and then check it against the list of genuine ones).

I suppose the only thing I've proved so far is that if there is clone-killing in effect, at least you seem to get an opportunity to go back to the old firmware rather than the new firmware automatically killing your box. I still need to find firmware that will use "8"'s to get to the CCID and return what is probably a valid CCID to check against the list so I may or may not have a clone at this moment because of the fact my current CCID may not be accurate if my older firmware is correct in not returning the true CCID.

I installed the Aug 8th firmware update for the S10, I looked at the CCID and it said "FFFF". Apparently I'm not the only one who has seemed to get a dummy chip ID using this firmware according to a posting on another forum. I decided to play it safe and rollback to the one that came with my box and I'll try a future firmware release to see if it seems to generate a valid CCID (and then check it against the list of genuine ones).

Personally, I wouldn't care if I have a "substitute" brain in the box, though I would be sorry to have supported "less than original/legit" suppliers if that happened. But, I would love to know if there's a fix for the "no standby/have to reboot" issue when you want to shut down. Had to resort to going to the web, some suggested a sequence of keys be pressed. I think that was an internet "hoax"....though it was quoted in many places.

Has anyone had either a) this same problem and b) found a workaround/upgrade that works to fix this without destroying what DOES work in an S10?

Personally, I wouldn't care if I have a "substitute" brain in the box, though I would be sorry to have supported "less than original/legit" suppliers if that happened.
that's how I feel too, but it'd be nice to know for sure if I can load future firmware onto the S10 or just have to keep it with the firmware that already exists that works well for most things I've done so far.
But, I would love to know if there's a fix for the "no standby/have to reboot" issue when you want to shut down.
If I had felt comfortable, I woudl have checked on that but I figured I better reload my old firmware while I could -- assuming the worst case scenario of powering down and back up on the august 8th firmware to test the power/standby stuff might keep me from being to load the old firmware back on.

Hi Guys,

I just registered to give you this information as you over the Pond are a bit behind us EU Openbox users when it comes to updates (I think due to your laws meaning the firmware needs altering before it can be released over there)

Anyway
If you have a Openbox running firmware before April (eu release date) using the information > 8888888 will not work and you have to use 777777777 if so this code is not the correct code being displayed and you need to upgrade the firmware to one dated AFTER april.
Now this is the bummer part, even though you update to a firmware from April through to 31 July release (eu dates) the CCID code may show a valid code to say it is not a clone BUT this code is faked on some of the newer clones.
In my case I bought a box over a month ago and the first thing i did was upgrade it and check the CCID which was 00D0 (i.e valid) I have since upgraded several times with no issues until I installed the 08-08-11 firmware which then killed my box and displayed 'Box is Clone !!!!!! FFFF' several times on the screen after a reboot then stop on a black screen with only the ON being displayed on the LED on the box.

I recovered the box via RS232 with a null modem cable and tried the 08-08-11 again it boots fine but when you check the CCID it now shows FFFF (clone) :(
Strange thing is if the then try 888888888 after is has shown the FFFF it then changes to 00D0 which leads me to believe some of the newer clones try to inject a fake legitimate CCID but the August firmwares can detect this.
I am currently running 31 July firmware and this reports 00D0 (legit code) even though I now know the box is a clone. (being exchanged by supplier later today)

So to check if you have a clone Update to 08-08-11 goto information and check the CCID against the list on the previous page that another member posted if it does not match one of the valid codes flash back to your previous firmware straight away.

Hope this clears things up :)

edit: Just to add mine is a S10

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I just registered to give you this information as you over the Pond are a bit behind us EU Openbox users when it comes to updates (I think due to your laws meaning the firmware needs altering before it can be released over there)
So to check if you have a clone Update to 08-08-11 goto information and check the CCID against the list on the previous page that another member posted if it does not match one of the valid codes flash back to your previous firmware straight away.

Welcome to the forum!:)
Very interesting! My S9 CCID showed 0202. When the 08-08-11 was installed it showed 00D0. I liked the part where you stated the box bombed. That was brought up here by many and NOW we have someone that it ACTUALLY happened to. Interesting indeed. Mine is still working very well. Time will tell.

RT.

Welcome!

Let's see, I put in Aug 8 firmware temporarily into my S10 and did the 888888's and got CCID "FFFF". I take it that is a clone. I immediately rolled back to the firmware that came with the box and it is still working except for the power/standby issue.

Do you think I can put in the July 31st firmware I found the other day or is that also a clone killing one like the August 8th one? I don't want to do anything stupid because I have a feeling it is no guarantee to be able to roll back to the firmware that came with my S10 using the RS-232 port should my box get killed.

thanks.

Welcome!

Let's see, I put in Aug 8 firmware temporarily into my S10 and did the 888888's and got CCID "FFFF". I take it that is a clone. I immediately rolled back to the firmware that came with the box and it is still working except for the power/standby issue.

Do you think I can put in the July 31st firmware I found the other day or is that also a clone killing one like the August 8th one? I don't want to do anything stupid because I have a feeling it is no guarantee to be able to roll back to the firmware that came with my S10 using the RS-232 port should my box get killed.

thanks.

If its a S10 (like mine then 31st July seems to be okay I have had no issues with it at all)
Install the 31 July one then check the CCID matches a valid one from the list if it does then all should be okay.

i do not know Shaggy.
i am wary of 4 post individuals making claims without coming back to the forum since then.
Can one of our regulars confirm ? clone kill?
thanks
Kodaz

Status
Please reply by conversation.