Bad spots in HD DVR recordings

samijubal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
ogden, ut
I keep getting bad spots in DVR recordings on my 722K. Sometimes there's an audio hum followed by the audio/video cutting out for a second or two and sometimes the A/V just cuts out without the buzz. It happens on multiple channels. There's nothing blocking the dish.

Does anyone else see this happening? It looks like a transmission problem to me. I don't want to swap receivers and have the problem still be there.

Have you touched base with one of the DIRT members here or called tech support? I'd guess it's a hardware problem if it's happening on multiple channels. Are these all local channels? Have you tried a different cable from the receiver to the TV? That's the first thing I would try. If you're using HDMI, try using component (regular RCA composite cables will work) and see if the problem persists. Or try HDMI if currently using component. If that doesn't solve the issue, it's likely something wrong with the 722k. Are there any video problems or just sound problems?

Maybe a DIRT member can tell us how VIP receivers handle disk errors.

My VIP612 came back from a 7500 road trip and a movie on it was very nearly unwatchable for the stuttering freezing and jumping. The show came from an EHD so I can't know whether it got damaged when received by my 722K, or when transferred the EHD, or transferred to the 612. But in the end is was muy messed up.

It's audio/video both. I see it in DVD recordings made from the DVR. If I go back and play straight from the DVR the same bad spots that are in the DVDs are on the DVR recording.

I've called support, they think it's the HDD which I don't think it is. I'm on my fourth 722K now. If no one else is having the problem then I guess I'll have to swap receivers again.

In the last few weeks, I've started seeing what sounds like the same problem on my 722 (not k). I really noticed it when I was watching a recording of an NBA game (Thunder@Blazers). Several times I got a few seconds of loud buzzing and a glitch in the video. Pretty annoying when it happens in the middle of the action! It seems pretty unlikely to me that we'd both start having the same problem at around the same time. I suspect a software problem. If it was a problem with the feed, everyone would see it.

Sounds like signalus interruptus to me.

Possible flakey lnb, or dish slightly out of line.

What are your signal strengths?

I've had 2 recordings with presumed bad spots on EHD. I wanted to move them to a different HDD but they cannot be moved back to the main HDD as they stop before the end with an error. One spot is after the movie but with no ability to truncate (edit) a recording I cannot cut it before the bad spot. Both happen to be on the same drive. I'm not ready to give up a 1TB just to be (possibly) sure that it won't happen again. I presume that if they are never moved, the bad spot will stay there--I just need a new recording.

We used to use washtub (multi-platter 15") 300MB drives (MB not GB) to store computer data--good for up to a year, about 1988. Software allowed bad-spotting. There was reported one without a bad spot and the manufacturer wanted it back to find out what they did right, LOL.

I haven't copied out all the 10TB or so that I have, so I'll probably never know how many are bad but I would rather store more recordings than back them up with duplicates or RAID them.

-Ken

Have you tried running Spin-Rite from Gibson Research on that 1TB drive, it deep reads and can often recover weak or lost data.

Runs on linux off a CD or even floppy drive or flash drive.

I thought it just started recently but I watched a movie from July last night and it had the same problems.

The recordings don't have HDD errors. I can move them from the receiver to an external drive and back. It's the sat signal that's the problem.

I thought it just started recently but I watched a movie from July last night and it had the same problems.

The recordings don't have HDD errors. I can move them from the receiver to an external drive and back. It's the sat signal that's the problem.

Will you send me a PM with your phone number or account number please? Are you seeing the problem on recordings only, or does it happen on Live TV as well?

Will you send me a PM with your phone number or account number please? Are you seeing the problem on recordings only, or does it happen on Live TV as well?

I was told by the installer that the signal was weak and that was the problem. I tweaked the dish and got the signal up to what should be acceptable so we'll see what happens.

I never watch live TV. I record to the DVR then burn to DVDs. It doesn't look like a HDD problem to me. There are no errors in recordings, I can move them to and from an external HDD without any problems.

I will contact you if the problem still exists after adjusting the dish.

Hi there. I've noticed my HD DVR recordings have sounds problems. The sound will cut out for a few seconds and then go back to normal. This happens on everyone of my recordings that I've noticed. The picture does not go out or pixelate and this does NOT happen with Live TV.

My DVR is a VIP 612. I'm a new customer as of January and this is the receiver that the installer gave me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there. I've noticed my HD DVR recordings have sounds problems. The sound will cut out for a few seconds and then go back to normal. This happens on everyone of my recordings that I've noticed. The picture does not go out or pixelate and this does NOT happen with Live TV.

My DVR is a VIP 612. I'm a new customer as of January and this is the receiver that the installer gave me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried unplugging the receiver for 15 seconds to reset it? If you have, it does sound like the receiver needs to be replaced. If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I can get you details on a replacement receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts