Bad Switch or Bad Tech Advise?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hrdway8

Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
After purchasing a third receiver (Dish 942), I was advised by Dish Tech that I needed a DP+44 switch for the two tuner 942 with a DP+ Separator in order to have 3 receivers working. I was also told by Dish Tech (more than one) that the DP+44 switch would work with my DP Twin LNBF's (not DP+). When I installed the switch, I lost Sat 119, only received Sat 110 on any receiver connected to the switch. When bypassing switch, Sat 119 returned. Dish said switch was bad, and I returned the switch. Now after talking to another Dish Tech, I am now told that I need the DP+ LNBF in order for my DP+44 switch to work properly.

Anyone have any experience with this? Before I go an replace my LNBF and get a new switch, I want to make sure I'm on the right path.

A side note, I talked with a local Dish installer and he told me the same, that I need all DP+ equipment for it to work properly. At the time, I thought he was just trying to sell.

You can use a regular DP twin to run your DPP44. I've done it plenty and it works fine. Without seeing your setup I'm assuming you have the switch installed properly including power supply and inserter. The DPP44 seems to be a finicky switch to use. If at all possible I'd try to get another line from the switch to the 942, use a DP34, and skip the separator if possible. Cheaper and seems a bit more reliable. (quite honestly I'd try to use a legacy quad and bypass switches altogether)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys... Try the Seperators first...and any time you make any changes unplug power inserter and receiver,(or receivers) then do a switch check with no coax connected to clear the matrix on your receiver, hook up and try again.

Well, for what it's worth (from a technician with 1 year experience):

I've never gotten a DP Twin to work with a DPP44. I've always had to use a DP Single or DP Dual. The theory being that there is actually a DP switch built into the DP Twin, where as the DP single and DP dual LNBs do not. I have used regular (non-twin) DP LNBs with DPP44s on many occasions.

This has been verified by my supervisor and a Dishnetwork 'advanced' tech support rep.

Dishdude said:
I have a DP twin connected to my DPP+44 switch and it works fine.

One guy I work with said he got a twin to work once, no problem. Later he said he had problems on other installs. Then others (like myself) never got the twin to work with the 44. So there you have it.

I hope my totally inconclusive opinion helps. :yes

mudder1310 said:
If at all possible I'd try to get another line from the switch to the 942, use a DP34, and skip the separator if possible. Cheaper and seems a bit more reliable. (quite honestly I'd try to use a legacy quad and bypass switches altogether)

I'll have to agree. My favorite for reliability, simplicity and versatility has always been the legacy quad. It wrks will all receivers and seldom goes bad. The DP+ software can be fincky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)