Bad VIP722k or just a bad user (me)?

johnnymavrik

Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Sacramento
:mad: [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Hey all - long time lurker.

So I have a problem that I have tried to remedy using suggestions posted on other threads (using tv 2 remote only after flipping tab and making UHF, covering the IR eyes of the receiver with masking tape or electrical tape, covering with only white paper, lowering the brigtness levels on the tv - I have a vizio gallevia tv so I couldn't see any auto dynamic contrast option to disable, etc).

I am having two problems. First and foremost, with the 722 that I got on Friday (and the previous 622), I have a problem changing channels without a 30-45 second delay in picture and audio. I understand that some delay is normal, but I think this goes beyond the normal building time. Am I wrong?

The second problem is with both the 20.0 IR remote and the 21 IR/UHF remote. It appears that when starting up (and even during normal operation), the remotes constantly fail. I am using the 722 for only 1 TV - I even did the flip tab on the 21 IR/UHF solution and it worked well for about 10-15 minutes. Then, I turned off the systems and when I turned them back on - the same problems occurred. Also, the 21 IR/UHF remote solution sucks if you have a slingbox (since slingbox is IR only).

Now here is where I throw a wrench into the whole problem - I have a HDMI system selector (it's a madcats ps3 hdmi system selector) setup with my TV, receiver, 360, ps3, and surround sound system. Could that be the culprit here? Short of disconnecting it and not having either the 360 or ps3 in HDMI - is there anything I might be missing?

Thanks to anyone who keeps me from going Office Space on my remotes. [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

You are correct, that is way too long to be normal.

I promise I'm not being a smart a** here, but have you tried disconnecting the HDMI swicth? When troubleshooting it is best to make things as simple as possible first and then add things into the mix until you identify your problem.

One idea (althought this should not be impacting the UHF side). I had a glass black mirrored AV cabinet once that had a 942 dish receiver on it. When the receiver was just at the right angle the glass did something funky and the receiver did not react well to remote activity at all. I scooted the receiver back just a bit and it worked fine, moved it back at that angle, had the problem. So as you would expect I left it scooted back a bit and never had the problem again.

You are correct, that is way too long to be normal.

I promise I'm not being a smart a** here, but have you tried disconnecting the HDMI swicth? When troubleshooting it is best to make things as simple as possible first and then add things into the mix until you identify your problem.

One idea (althought this should not be impacting the UHF side). I had a glass black mirrored AV cabinet once that had a 942 dish receiver on it. When the receiver was just at the right angle the glass did something funky and the receiver did not react well to remote activity at all. I scooted the receiver back just a bit and it worked fine, moved it back at that angle, had the problem. So as you would expect I left it scooted back a bit and never had the problem again.

I was hoping to avoid having to disconnect the switch - but I think it has to be the culprit (since everything else hasn't worked - and I assume that the brand spanking new 722 that the Dish tech installed on Friday wasn't broken to begin with). I was just hoping that I might have missed something obvious.

Thanks - and no, I didn't think you were being a smartass!

If I do determine its the hmdi switcher...anyone got suggestions on a proven one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Hate to lose the HDMI capability of the ps3, 360, and dvd/receiver combo.

Might be time to invest in a modern AV receiver with HDMI switching built in, such as an ONKYO 607 or 805. I have both. I used to use an HDMI switch. Some switches work better than others, especially considering HDCP.

Found the problem... or atleast the source of it. It was the surround sound system - not sure why - but when we run the sound through it - we have massive delays and the 722k remote works intermittently. Without it - no delays in loading time and no problems with the remote.

Guess the HDMI switch wasn't the problem.

Weird, huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)