Bad wireless Joey install experience

Patrick Smith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Had a tech out today to install 2 wireless joeys! I get they call saying he's on his way and I look out in my driveway and see a Toyota Camry, walk out there and it's his boss. She had to drive from their office in Dublin to bring him the joeys. No problem.

He gets here introduces himself and tells me I'm his first wireless Joey install. He didn't even know dish had wireless joeys until he looked at the work order this morning. (they are contractors)

Move inside they are looking on their phones trying to find out how to install no problem. Makes 6 calls still no idea. Finally gets a call back saying they need an access point for the install. Guess what. His boss had no idea and didn't bring one. (Not her fault) her boss told her she just need the two joeys nothing else. So she drives 3 hours here and doesn't have what they need.

Back on the phone trying to find an access point. No luck. So after 3 hours I just had them install a wired Joey and call it a day. Both really nice people. And I as the customer don't get what I wanted in the end. Shame dish doesn't help contractors better and inform them of the new equipment.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Its a shame their contractors dont read what DISH sends them for training material.

The Wireless Joey had a LOT of install information sent out before its release.

Reactions: ds2600
The old saying holds true here...

"You can take a horse to the water, but you can't make them drink."

If the installer was not trained on how to install this product it kind of negates the entire "professional install" don't it? :)

Reactions: ds2600
That it does. But I guess it also falls on the contracting company owners / mangers for not informing their techs.

I agree as we'll but if a tech isn't informed there is something new and the training is available then that falls in the higher ups.

DISH should be EXTREMELY ashamed of the service people they send out. My initial install was performed 4 hour outside my 8AM-12 time window by someone who spoke no English. When they came to install my wireless Joey another tech was 5 hrs. outside their time window. It cost me 2 full days off. He barely spoke English and also knew nothing about the wireless Joey nor did whoever he called.

DISH service was BY FAR the worst I have ever dealt with. What a 1st impression.

This happens alot people... as a previous tech I can tell you that they often times don't provide much in the way of documentation on new software or equipment. It took our office months to figure out the best process for hopper/joey installs as we were making bricks out of the joeys left and right cause even Dish didn't know or couldn't understand real world conditions. Dish is constantly pushing out experienced techs too from punishing them for things out side of their control basically dropping their pay to the point when its not worth it. The level of crap they deal with on a day to day bases is just insane when you figure up all the conditions you have to work in then have the office hover of your head. Most of this isn't so much from DNS but its from regional service providers or RSP's that have contracts to service certain area's from Dish...these RSP's are often spending much of their time to figure out ways to rip techs off. If DIsh would take over these places and every tech was working directly for Dish then I feel things would be so much better for all.

az99, I feel your pain. The outside time frame window is often caused by the techs getting over booked. Most people don't understand that a techs normal day may have them driving 200+ miles and doing several different job assignments so they are pushed for time right out the gate but you don't have no idea how any job will go cause every situation is different, every home is different. When I was working for them scheduling was one of the biggest complaints I had..they should only give you the amount of work you know you can do and leave you to do it no matter what time you finished in the day. I felt that if they figured you wouldn't be working beyond 3pm then you needed more work. This was a load of crap considering some of those jobs you may have done before 3PM could have been monster pains and more than a normal factory worker just endured so why not leave them be and rest up for the next day. I could go on and on but I'd sound like a broken record and I figured I'd just chim in so everyone here knows what this field has to deal with.

I'm just a local retailer and I take it upon myself to do all my research on what products Dish has and how they work. I also have to make sure I stay up to date on the business rules. These are all things that I am responsible for myself. Dish has all of this information available to retailers and contractors. I myself will receive and email, a text message and a fax from Dish whenever there are announcements. I also get them from my distributor as well. It may seem like overkill but at least Dish is getting the info out any way possible. I will admit that it doesn't always get released that fast, there are plenty of times I read it here before I get the news from Dish.

The reason I say all of this is because it is up to the retailer or contractor to do their homework. All the info is at our fingertips. They need to use the retailer Portal and do the training modules they have there for us. I know their is a lot of info there but it's still their responsibility to study and learn it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
DISH should be EXTREMELY ashamed of the service people they send out. My initial install was performed 4 hour outside my 8AM-12 time window by someone who spoke no English. When they came to install my wireless Joey another tech was 5 hrs. outside their time window. It cost me 2 full days off. He barely spoke English and also knew nothing about the wireless Joey nor did whoever he called.

DISH service was BY FAR the worst I have ever dealt with. What a 1st impression.

You should always call the local retailer if you're lucky enough to have one in your area.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You should always call the local retailer if you're lucky enough to have one in your area.

Are you kidding me? I've crossed paths with the "local retailer" tech in my area. The tech had been working there over a year, and I asked him how many ground blocks he's installed since he's been there. I already knew the answer (ZERO), because I've re-installed countless jobs that he's installed. His response was he doesn't have time to install stuff to code. And the retailer doesn't Quas him, so he's on his own, doing shoddy work, leaving it for the rest of us to clean up after him.

Reactions: Patrick Smith
Are you kidding me? I've crossed paths with the "local retailer" tech in my area. The tech had been working there over a year, and I asked him how many ground blocks he's installed since he's been there. I already knew the answer (ZERO), because I've re-installed countless jobs that he's installed. His response was he doesn't have time to install stuff to code. And the retailer doesn't Quas him, so he's on his own, doing shoddy work, leaving it for the rest of us to clean up after him.

Here we go again. You ought to see the the local RSP's work they do for Dish around here. Talk about messes. They drill holes and mount dishes everywhere and anywhere hoping to get LOS. If it doesn't work here they move it there. Cables hanging all over the houses like spaghetti. If it wasn't so pitiful it would be funny.

That said, we all know there are good and bad in house, RSP and retailer. The point is that you can talk to the retailer and the installer and you know who they are. When you call Dish it's a crap shoot. Around here if a customer calls Dish they generally get an off shore operator who would send the work order to the RSP which is 300 miles away. It makes a lot more sense to call the local guy who probably lives and works in your neighborhood.

Here's a typical RSP experience around here quoted from an above post:

Reactions: Patrick Smith
Here we go again. You ought to see the the local RSP's work they do for Dish around here. Talk about messes. They drill holes and mount dishes everywhere and anywhere hoping to get LOS. If it doesn't work here they move it there. Cables hanging all over the houses like spaghetti. If it wasn't so pitiful it would be funny.

That said, we all know there are good and bad in house, RSP and retailer. The point is that you can talk to the retailer and the installer and you know who they are. When you call Dish it's a crap shoot. Around here if a customer calls Dish they generally get an off shore operator who would send the work order to the RSP which is 300 miles away. It makes a lot more sense to call the local guy who probably lives and works in your neighborhood.

Here's a typical RSP experience around here quoted from an above post:

This is the exact truth. Obviously anyone can provide a crappy install but I believe most people prefer to know the person doing the job. They like the ability to call the retailer or technician when they have an issue.

If a customer gets their Dish from me I'm able to provide much better service. Chances are I can even save them a service call if they are having an issue since I know what equipment they have and how it was installed. When a customer calls me and I know they didn't get their Dish from me then I don't even like to waste my time, I'll just send a tech out and bill them the $95 tech visit fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts