Baked Soldier Beans

starman345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
I make these beans about twice a month, I use the full 2 lb bag of beans because I usually give the neighbours some, but the recipe can easily be cut to suit.

2 lbs soldier beans
4 tsp dried mustard
1 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 lb salt pork or bacon
2 tsp vinegar
1 large onion

I soak the beans in a large pot overnight, usually 10-11 hours, use enough water to completely cover the beans times two. The beans will swell and the last thing you want is to have some beans covered and some not after they've swelled. It will mean you will have hard beans and soft beans as a result. Put about a tablespoon of Arm & Hammer soda in the soaking water, I learned that from an old guy who used to cook for logging camps....it softens the beans a bit.
After soaking overnight, bring the beans to a boil for about 10 minutes, when you blow on a bean, the skin should crack. Drain the beans, discard the water, and rinse them off.
In 2 cups of hot water, combine all ingredients except for the beans, salt pork and onion. Place beans in crock pot, pour mixture over them and add water to cover. Stir and add salt pork and onion. I put the onion in whole but you could dice it. I cook on 250F for about 6 hours. I stir gently at about 3 hrs and again at 5 hrs. You may need to add a bit of water as they cook.
I have a batch of these in the oven right now, at about the 5 hour mark and they smell great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)