Please reply by conversation.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
in this thread;

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...uilding-reversed-dish-pro-band-stacked-2.html

The op mentions multi receiver setup that seems to NOT use DP 34-44 ect eq.
Or do you start with a DP 34 and go to the 8X1 Diseqc in that sequence?
This is a new look for me. not sure quite how to do it.

I would like to use 2-3 receivers in the system

I have 2 -3 more Buds coming and i have 2 in the yard now. i would like to use bandstacked c-band lnbs and i will be setting up a boatload of LNBs.
I could use some guidance as my searches seem to leave me just short of the starting component/ switch
Thanks
Kodaz

Paging Tron, FTA member TRON Please pick up the RED phone.....

(sorry I dont have an answer for you, but Brother Tron is THE bandstacked LNB Guru.)

There is no need to use a Dish Network switch (DP32, DP44) with the Eagle Aspen bandstacked FSS LNB. Any switch will work, as long as it passes 2.1 GHz. The Dish switches are DiSEqC switches. Are you trying to cascade switches? If so, I believe the Dish switches use 1.0 protocol.

I believe the thread you referred to, discusses the cascading of common 4x1 and the more exotic 8x1 diseqc switches.
Look for info on that before proceeding.
And make sure your receivers will handle it.

As for going all bandstacked, I find that somewhat limiting.
There is only one C-band LNBF choice in North America.
For Ku, there are two:
- Sadoun has an LNBF, with odd LO frequencies (so no receiver will work with it directly; otherwise fine)
- surplus DishNet FSS LNBs work, but require feedhorns to match your Ku dish (great if you have Primestars) ;)

required reading material for Ku feedhorns:

Pendragon compares Ku feedhorns with Dish 105° horn:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...4-bandstacked-shootout-why-amps-good-bad.html

Tech#344 builds his own feedhorns for DishNet 105° LNBs:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/242947-question-about-multi-switches-2.html#post2461471

Magic Static makes feedhorns from old DirecTV Phase III LNBF:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/253299-dish-dtv-=-fta-dish-fss.html

if i were going with a single receiver, i would go with a 1x4diseqc to dgs sw21 (up to 4)
even with 2 receivers, still 2 output lnbs to same.
but i need 3 receivers. thats messing me up.
The bandstacked LNBs will/would save me 50% of the cable runs.

Tron, How do you run 16 bandstacked LNBs to 3 receivers?

I read that the DP 44 is a diseqc switch on steroids. Can the DP 44 be used in any other config other then cascading DP 44s? Also could the DP44 be cascaded with DP34s or 33s following it? if that could work...

I dont think the dgs sw21 would accommodate 2 receivers at the same time.
I have a feeling i will be restricted to just a 2 receiver system and non bandstacked LNBs with all these BUDS.
Thats a lot of cable in a conduit!!

Thanks for the replies!!

Last edited:
The DishNet DP44's were pretty expensive. I haven't checked recently.
However, the DP34's were free for the taking and in the trash everywhere.
Some time back, I even saw Sadoun clearing some out for $5 each.

I've used DP34's before, and they are very robust.
They certainly would make a great first switch, following the LNBs.

I came up with a two-DP34 idea using Ecoda 22khz switches selecting between them.
You should supply power to output port 1 of the 34's, so that gives you 3 (or 4) outputs to use.
Each switch has three inputs, so with an Ecoda, that'd give 6 LNBs to at least 3 receivers.

If you could use a 4x1 or 8x1 diseqc instead, to select one of 4 or one of 8 DP34's, wouldn't that give you 12 or 24 LNBs?
(I'm just not sure which switch you could cascade with the '34, but I think only the 8x1's would work)

one of the things i am trying to find is -
if you cascade DP 44 then follow with DP 34 (would give 7 LNBs?)
how do you figure that in your box settings???? like an Openbox

It does look like the 22k can proceed the DPs. (google search)
But would not be needed if DP44-34 cascadeing could be setup in an Openbox?

8X1s proceeding Dp switches looks interesting also...

edit: doesnt an ecoda 22k pass power to both sides? wont the power of the DP44 mess up switching on the other side?

Last edited:
I think the DP44 and DP34 use the same mode of diseqc switching, so you cannot cascade them.

As for the lineup, I would put the LNBs into the DP34/44, as it is the robust device, and changing cables in the field, won't damage them, eg:
lnb-------> dp34-------> 8x1-------> receiver

edit:
Several points I forgot to mention...
- the DP34 should come first after the LNB because it's the only switch we're talking about with multiple outputs.
That's kind of the point. :)
- the '44 is actually a DPP-44 (dish pro plus) switch, which goes way beyond what a DP34 can do, BUT...
....but our receivers cannot use those extended features, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I think the DP44 and DP34 use the same mode of diseqc switching, so you cannot cascade them.

As for the lineup, I would put the LNBs into the DP34/44, as it is the robust device, and changing cables in the field, won't damage them, eg:
lnb-------> dp34-------> 8x1-------> receiver

edit:
Several points I forgot to mention...
- the DP34 should come first after the LNB because it's the only switch we're talking about with multiple outputs.
That's kind of the point. :)
- the '44 is actually a DPP-44 (dish pro plus) switch, which goes way beyond what a DP34 can do, BUT...
....but our receivers cannot use those extended features, so it doesn't really matter.

so 8 dp34s would give 24 LNBs and the 8X1 would switch the power to each individual dp34 so that only 1 dp 34 would be powered at a time....? if that works, an openbox might handle the load. it would be an incredibly buff setup for up to 3 receivers.

No way.
You need to power each DP34, preferably full time.

I would experiment with one DP34 and one 8x1 switch to see if it works.
(baring any comments from someone who knows a reason it won't)
This isn't something I've thought too seriously about, so there may be unforeseen problems.

I've had pretty good luck with DP34's, but recently switched everything out to EMP Centauri's. It is good to power the DP34's on port 1 with a laptop charger, they also have some gain. They had been outdoors for 4+ years with no trouble.

I've had pretty good luck with DP34's, but recently switched everything out to EMP Centauri's. It is good to power the DP34's on port 1 with a laptop charger, they also have some gain. They had been outdoors for 4+ years with no trouble.

Cadsulfide,

Which emp centauri, and was this for bandstacked LNBs?

Did you hook all the DP34's to one laptop charger?

what is the Voltage?

Thanks

Actually, i would love to hear from more folks who use multi receiver setups and which switch diagrams they used,
which multi switches and their part numbers, how many LNBs.
I have been thinking that 18-36 cables back to the house may be awkward... 4"conduit?
The DP 34 and44 looks like a bad idea, too many power issues.

thanks for the reply.
Based on the massive amount of info in the forum, it does look like i can go bandstacked and just hook to the V side of a 3x4 zinwell.
Chime in anybody if that wont work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course tell me why?
Thanks

Many 3x4 switches are rated only from 950-1450 MHz and will not work well with bandstacked LNBs, which require 950-2150 MHz for the most part. Unless the switch you're considering can do the latter, you may get something through on the high-band polarization, but the performance may prove rather poor on weaker feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)