Baseball needs Yankees

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
By Jeff Birnbaum, Columnist. Posted September 27, 2005.
Since I began following Major League Baseball some 15 years ago, there always have been two inherent rules by which I have lived.

The first rule: No matter how good the Chicago Cubs are they will never, ever win a World Series. So don’t hold your breath.

The second rule: I must loathe the New York Yankees as if they personally made a trip to my house and de-pantsed me in front of all of my friends on a cold, winter day.

Needless to say, I really hate the Yankees.

However, as much as I hope a house falls on the Wicked Witch of the East (Yankees’ owner George Steinbrenner), I painstakingly must admit I will be rooting for the Yankees to make the playoffs this week.

And so will Major League Baseball.

In a year that has seen home run numbers dramatically decrease, and former beloved player Rafael Palmeiro suspended for using steroids, baseball is in dire need of some positive excitement.

And on a national scale, excitement will not come in the form of a no-name team like the Cleveland Indians, who are positioned to make the playoffs as the American League Wild Card team.

Don’t get me wrong, the Indians have had a remarkable season.

I don’t think anyone at the beginning of the season thought they’d be where they are today.

It’s just that, rather than making the playoffs, they should get a shiny gold pin that says “hurray for us” or something. Yea, that’d be cute.

When it comes to playoff time, fans are going to want to watch Yankees stars Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Randy Johnson seek revenge against their arch-rivals: the Boston Red Sox.

The Yankees will want blood after becoming the first team ever to blow a 3-0 series lead in the American League Championship Series last year.

The only amusement the Cleveland Indians will bring to the table is a left fielder named Coco Crisp. And that’s not even funny. And Major League Baseball knows that.

That’s why baseball needs the Yankees in the playoffs like Kathy Lee needed Regis, and Kanye West needs Jesus. Without them, it’s just not the same.

And so, as much as it kills me to, I will root for the Yankees to make the playoffs and the Indians to blow it.

The playoffs are serious, and America craves drama.

No other match-up produces as much suspense as the biggest rivalry in all of sports: the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees.

So, for the next week I’ll gladly put on a Yankees hat and jump on their multi-million dollar bandwagon.

But as soon as they get into the playoffs, I’m taking their hat off and pissing on it.

Source

Interestingly , it could be the Yankees and the Indians , or BoSox and Indians.

I guess if the Yankees do make it, that will be OK with me
I will definatly take pleasure in watching the Yankee lose in the playoffs, seeing the article was bias against the Indians (somewhat) Lets have the Idians beat the Yankees, justice would be served.

Jimbo

yeah a no name team like the indians...seems to be the best team in baseball last night, even after a lost. Lets face it, the yankees arent that good this year, they have shown their moments, their are other teams then the yankees, stupid biased baseball, oh well we have less then a week, lets see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts