Baseball Ratings Go Foul at FOX

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The Sox currently playing in the World Series come complete with a backstory of trying to deliver their long-suffering fans a championship after more than 85 years. Unfortunately for FOX, the Sox are White, not Red.
Absent the massive, East Coast media-fueled profile of either the New York Yankees or last year's champs, the Boston Red Sox, the 2005 World Series got off to a shaky start in the Nielsens over the weekend. Despite a contest between teams from two of the nation's 10 biggest markets -- the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros -- the series could be on its way to its lowest ratings ever.

Which is not to say, exactly, that no one's watching. The first two World Series games, along with the final game of the National League Championship series, all finished in the top 20 in the Nielsen rankings. But the average audience for games 1 and 2, about 16.1 million viewers, is the smallest for the first two games of the World Series in a generation.

Source

In fairness fox could do a lot better job promoting it...

If the cubs were in, I guess that would mean the white sox would still be in, and that would be even lower ratings...Sure in chicago it'd be #1 with a bullet every game, but everywhere else, you'd see reruns of seinfeld with higher ratings...

It takes at least 1 super-power team to draw ratings anymore, and it's not simply due to being exciting. These games are competing against high-power, high-promotion, high-budget shows now. It's not "Well, game 7 or Dukes of Hazzard, hmmm..." anymore, every network and most cable networks have their best shows on in direct competition. They aren't afraid to challenge big sporting events anymore.

And the Chi Sox sweeping doesn't help Fox's cause any, either. Maybe they can run a primetime special on how MLB needs a Instant Replay to clear up some of the game-changing calls that occured this post-season.

I'm looking forward to the Sunday Night Laugh Out Loud to come back. Too bad there's two games for NFL coming up this Sunday. :(

Why would you show a Halloween special after Halloween?

from tvweek.com

Fox Scores With World Series
By Jon Lafayette
Despite going down as the lowest-rated World Series ever, the four games of the just-completed Series powered Fox to four prime-time wins in five days for the first time since last year's World Series.

The Chicago White Sox victory over the Houston Astros in Wednesday's fourth and final game drew a 13.0 Nielsen Media Research rating and 21 share, the highest-rated game in the Series and Fox's highest-rated program since the May 25 finale of "American Idol."

The entire Series averaged an 11.1 rating and a 19 share, down 30 percent from last year's extraordinary curse-busting Boston Red Sox championship.

Sean Mota said:
LOS ANGELES ...Absent the massive, East Coast media-fueled profile of either the New York Yankees or last year's champs, the Boston Red Sox

korsjs said:
if the other chicago team was in the series, ratings would be through the roof.

Amazing how the spin machine flies. Spare me the east coast nonsense, zap2it... :)

Angels vs. Giants...
Mariners vs. Dodgers
A's vs. Padres

I just realized CA has 5 freaking teams...

Not one of those would get ratings...

Baseball is boring and it doesn't mean anything to most outside their market if your team is not in it. A boring Sunday Night NFL game would easily outrate the World Series IMO if they played one on Sunday Night. I'd rather watch a pre-season NFL game over boring baseball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)