OTHER Basic DVB-S/S2 Receiver

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
Is there any set top DVB-S/S2 receivers that DO NOT have any network, IPTV, WEB, Games, Apps, etc manufactured today? All I want is a basic DVB-S/S2 receiver that only does FTA satellite TV, nothing else. Or one that has both a DVB-S/S2 tuner and a ATSC/NTSC OTA (Over the air) tuner. Only want TV functions, nothing more...

Reactions: madmadworld
Most now a days have some sort of internet connection, but you don't have to use it. Yes, and the silly games, that I never use either.

A good basic receiver is the Manhattan DJ-1997. It has IPTV, but you don't have to use it.

A great receiver with OTA also is the Linkbox 9000i Local.

Reactions: danristheman
Every popular SOC currently includes LAN/WiFi native support. Inclusion of apps, games, IPTV is only a toggle of the GUI menu item and an increased memory requirement. As long as the STB has adequate memory, these extras have no affect on the DVBS/S2 operation.

Likely every STB from now on will be a hybrid as it increases the market potential at little or no additional build cost. In fact, on one sample that I am working with, the build cost increases if the LAN and/or WLAN components are deleted from the basic form.

Guess it will just be up to the user to ignore or delete unwanted features.

Every popular SOC currently includes LAN/WiFi native support. Inclusion of apps, games, IPTV is only a toggle of the GUI menu item and an increased memory requirement. As long as the STB has adequate memory, these extras have no affect on the DVBS/S2 operation....
I respectfully disagree. Additional apps can corrupt the file system and trash the DVB/S2 settings. Case in point: Amiko A3.

mr3p Looks interesting if it is as advertised. It is obviously a hack box and that leaves a sour taste in my craw..... Would hate to even suggest a STB that openly promotes theft of service on the eBay listing.

If we overlook the TOS factor, have you tested it? Can you confirm Dolby decoding on 125w, 16apsk on 97w, 101w - 4Mhz transponders reception, CCM only or ACM support? Likely it is based on a ALI chipset.

Just bought one to check it out. Never know when a diamond in the rough is being sold!

Unfortunately a lot of FTA boxes can be used for TOS with the current favorite platform of choice being devices running Kodi. If one has no issues using a STB running Kodi for legitimate purposes then I don't view these inexpensive Chinese boxes being much different.

Blind scan worked well and quite fast. I posted some of the results in a different thread but I would speculate its competitive with other boxes.
Maybe we can have a blind scan war ;)

16apsk, yes. I did not try any 32apsk feeds

101w 4Mhz transponders reception, yes

How would I test for CCM vs. ACM?

I am not an Audiophile but would be willing to test out Dolby decoding if you can advise a simple way to doing so. I have a 5.1 surround setup in my mini-home theater which currently does not have access to any satellite dish. I could probably swap a couple of RG6 cable connections to allow me to connect the Chinese box but I know I don't have time until next week.

I have not tested USALS functionality. If I can find time this weekend I'll try and connect the 1M Ku dish to test USALS. Big dish movement is temporarily human powered until I receive some additional parts.

Glad to see you picked one up. For less than 30 dollars its hard to go wrong.
Don't forget I did offer to send my box to you for testing last month ;P

I recall the other thread and the offer to test your receiver, but my spare time has been very scarce in recent months and didn't want to take on testing at that time. My wife has been going through chemo for the past 6+ months and was just declared cancer free. So now to catch-up on many open projects... This way, I can also test at my leisure and not worry about trashing or having to return someone else's receiver.

By promoting TOS, I was referring to the unit's Ebay listing advertising the ability to enter PowerVU keys and IKS enabling of decryption. No legitimate reason for that function. Far beyond a Kodi add-on to download a few movies! You are right, stealing is stealing no matter the method or the quantity.

ACM testing by trying to log and view/listen to the Music Choice channels on 125w c-band.

Dolby testing by tuning the PBS channels on 125w KU and connecting the AV RCA audio cables to a TV or amplifier. If you hear audio via the RCA jacks, the PBS Dolby audio is definitely being decoded by the receiver.

Sorry to hear about your wife's recent struggle but glad to hear she has responded well. Family is far more important that any satellite interests.

After my initial plug-in of the receiver and couple of posts a month or so back, I haven't really played around with it much as work seems to be sucking away any free time I have. It would be great to get a few more people with the receiver to compare notes. I don't expect much support from the manufacturer but hopefully that's not an issue. I forgot about the Music channels as a way to test out ACM and thanks for the method to test out Dolby decoding which I'll also give it a try.

Reactions: Titanium
For the price, its going to be difficult to beat this one
I took the plunge and ordered one. Should be here before August...

I'll report my findings. I've come to not depend on the A3 to remain functional over a 2 week span without intervention. Timer use is probably 95% of my FTA use for now.

Just bought one to check it out. Never know when a diamond in the rough is being sold!

Brian, have you received the Freesat v7 yet? I got mine, but it must be outputting an unsupported video mode, as that's all my TV will display with it hooked up. I haven't found a way to toggle the video modes without a usable display.

I would be curious what chipset this device has? If it does receive ACM on 125W as mentioned by Titanium, then my guess would be that this is a HiSilicon box.

Brian, have you received the Freesat v7 yet?

LOL!!! I received the STB today. Just 15 minutes before I read your post I connected to my Samsung TV at home and it had no video. I had to drive up to the office and connect to a multi standard TV to set the output.

The first time the STB is powered up it is in the main menu screen.

Press the Channel Down arrow 2 times. This highlights System. Press OK.

Press the Channel Down arrow 1 time. This highlights AV Setting. Press OK.

The TV System setting is set to auto by default. Press the right arrow button 2 times to select the NTSC mode. Your TV should now be displaying the menu.

Without a 60hz TV channel scanned in, the GUI defaults to PAL mode.

35 satellites are preprogrammed, but most are not for NA. Time to add some satellites.

Recognizes a USB Ralink RT5370 WiFi adapter.

Not shipped with composite AV breakout cable. Uses the same ring/shank/tip configuration as the microHD cable.

Receives 16APSK channels on 97w with names.

Receives 101w 4MHz channels without break-up. Movies!, Decades and Heroes&Icons when not received on other STBs (microHD, 1997, Mini HD SE, etc.)

No ACM on 125w

Plays AC3/Dolby via RCA connections.

Doesn't like the current draw from 125' RG6/HH motor with 90cm and 115mA LNBF. Power cycles when connected. Works fine on a fixed dish or via the ASC1 controller.

Had to power cycle to restore the remote control operation. This happened a few times after the over-current shutdowns.

Last edited:
Doesn't like the current draw from 125' RG6/HH motor with 90cm and 115mA LNBF. Power cycles when connected. Works fine on a fixed dish or via the ASC1 controller.

Had to power cycle to restore the remote control operation. This happened a few times after the over-current shutdowns.
If its a 1.0 or 1.5 amp wall wart power supply, you might try a 2 amp power supply with the HH motor.

I'm wondering if it has a fast blind scan and how its speed compares to a Mini HD SE? I do lots of blind scanning for news feeds.

I was using with 2A instead of the supplied 1.5A

Blind scan didn't seem too slow. Was impressed that it caught the 101w 4MHz transponders in their current condition. Could manually add, edit, delete a transponder.

I really have a problem with the "in your face" theft of service key and card sharing menus that leaves no doubt on the intended market for this STB. :(

Reactions: . Raine and N6BY
I was using with 2A instead of the supplied 1.5A

Blind scan didn't seem too slow. Was impressed that it caught the 101w 4MHz transponders in their current condition. Could manually add, edit, delete a transponder. ...
2A should be plenty. The STB apparently can't handle the sudden change in current draw when the motor is commanded to move.

I really have a problem with the "in your face" theft of service key and card sharing menus that leaves no doubt on the intended market for this STB. :(

As a software developer I also have a problem with intellectual property theft. I am pretty sure the card sharing capability and menu violates eBays policy against items which promote illegal activity. I think they are simply not familiar with the terminology. I reported the listing to eBay.

I was looking at one of these, looked like it is about as basic as it gets nowadays:

Full HD 1080P DVB-S2 DVB-S Digital Video Broadcasting Receiver Set Top Box HDTV

Any thoughts?
s-l1600.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts