Basic Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cohenri

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I currently have Direct TV, but I am in the process of purchasing an HDTV. I realize that I will need to have a new dish installed to be able to receive HD TV. If I have 2 non-HD TV's and 1 HD TV, will I be able to use the same (new) dish to receive the standard definition signal for my non-HDTV's?

My future set-up will include a Direct TV standard definition DVR, a Direct TV standard definition receiver and likely the HR10-250 high definition DVR. Anything else I should be thinking about or concerned about?

You will currently need an AT9 dish to receive all 5 satellites. Yes the AT9 can deliver the signal off the 101 satellite to non HDTV receivers. Unless you need the HD DVR tomorrow I would recommend waiting until the HR20-250 comes out. The HR10-250 is not MPEG4 compatible and will have to be replaced to get future HD programming.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I realize that the MPEG 4 DVR is coming out, though the promissed date seems to keep getting pushed back. Also, many on this site have said that there is concern that it will take a year to work out the bugs with the new box and MPEG 4 signals will not become standard for quite a while.

Considering all of these things I will probably not be able to hold off. Additionally, I am getting the TV by the end of next month and the Direct TV CSR I spoke to said there will be an offer to swap out the MPEG 2 for the MPEG 4 for a fee of $100.

I need to have HD in time for football season next year and I can't live without a DVR. Any other suggestions?

Having a H20, and at least, a 3 lnb will be the first step. I'd bet if you have all that, so when they start to brodcast, over the two other sats, you should only need to add the new 5 lnb setup. At,least that's how I read it. Enjoy Ya'll :up

The HR10-250 will operate no differently on the 5lnb KAKU dish than it will on the elliptical dish you no doubt currently have. Current non local programming is being carried on the 119. If you must have the HD now, go ahead and get the HR10 and stick with your current dish.

Upgrade the dish when you upgrade the DVR to the HR20-250, and by that time hopefully the new slimline KAKU will be out which would be preferable to the current much larger dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)