Basic Remote

GomezMama

Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
New Mexico
My 85-year-old mother and 64-year-old sister who live together have a VIP722K-DVR receiver which operates two TVs. The remotes have become more challenging for each of them. They do not record or watch DVDs. I have a 322 receiver which operates two TVs and watch DVDs after I mess around...sometimes a long time and sometimes not so much...switching between the TV and DVD player. My current satellite remote REFUSES to channel up. All of us subscribe to DISH. My question is will the new Basic Remote work for both households. I expect I will need to have a technician come to both residences and program any remote we purchase as we are all electronically challenged. I am interested in any suggestions.

The basic remote is IR only and will only work at the reciever location ams not the tv2 location (tv2 is the TV with no box attatched directly).

There are quite a few pre-programmed remotes for those with limited dexterity that will work as TV1 controls. DISH offers an ES8216 EZ that has somewhat larger buttons (no DVR controls). I haven't tested the Sony RM-EZ4 with DISH but my 96 year old grandmother with carpal tunnel ran one of those on a cable ready TV. The RCA RCRPS02GR looks interesting as well but the programming is surely more involved. The remote would need to be set up according to the included instructions to control both the TV and the ViP722.

Using IR for TV2 is a whole other story as Dishman1978 points out.

DISH offers a kit that will convert TV2 to IR but then you would need some sort of remote relay setup to get the signal from the TV2 room to where the ViP722 is located. From there, you could use another big button remote as on TV1.

My 85-year-old mother and 64-year-old sister who live together have a VIP722K-DVR receiver which operates two TVs. The remotes have become more challenging for each of them. They do not record or watch DVDs. I have a 322 receiver which operates two TVs and watch DVDs after I mess around...sometimes a long time and sometimes not so much...switching between the TV and DVD player. My current satellite remote REFUSES to channel up. All of us subscribe to DISH. My question is will the new Basic Remote work for both households. I expect I will need to have a technician come to both residences and program any remote we purchase as we are all electronically challenged. I am interested in any suggestions.

Honestly, Dish isn't going to send you a technician to help out with the remotes. As was said, the basic remote Dish does sell only works for TV1. I know it's easier said than done, but really, education and the existing remotes should be the ideal solution. I understand with someone in their 80s, that can be difficult, but someone in their 60s really isn't that old, and should be able to work a Dish remote.

funny-TV-remote-tape-grandma.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)