Bats dying in in droves in the northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I'd heard of this before, so for you to find three stories now, it must be getting much worse.

Bats eat lots of my least favorite critters--mosquitoes. I hope they figure out what's killing the bats and are able to stop it.

Do a google and theres alot more stories on the subject in the north east, it seems to have become a pretty big issue up there.

Global warming is going to increase the mosquito population. Not having bats and birds eat the mosquitos and bugs either is going to cause the insect population to increase quite a bit.

In all my life I have never went a summer where I didnt see mosquito's but last year was the exception except for two while on vacation in the islands around Savanha. All summer there was not a single bugger to be found here at all even with the fact that not more than a quarter mile from me is a large woodland lake with a marshy cove. Bugs were mostly limited to spiders and even the earwig was hard to find.

If our drought here is a direct effect of global warming then it is killing off insect life that is dependant on a sub tropical enviroment to live in and in turn it is killing off species that eat those bugs.

Now what I do think is that a warmer enviroment will be effected if its wetter or drier, in the situation with these bats I bet that they will find that this fungus is one of those thats always been present but with milder winters and increased precipitation it has become stronger and gained a foothold. They'll probably also find that its spread on the insects that the bats are eating hence that the fungus is in a ring around their face.

We rely on other countries for oil, now food. Another way for them to gouge us (they already are) but it will get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)