Battery swap complete--and she still works...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This might not be the right thread for this, but I have a question. The guy I bought this from said it had been offline for about 2 years. So the maps are at least 2 years old. The TDT count is 1764 on it. Do you guys think I will be able to convert it over to the HITS maps without loosing the old maps? Maybe I could use MapMaster?

This might not be the right thread for this, but I have a question. The guy I bought this from said it had been offline for about 2 years. So the maps are at least 2 years old. The TDT count is 1764 on it. Do you guys think I will be able to convert it over to the HITS maps without loosing the old maps? Maybe I could use MapMaster?

With maps that old you may have problems getting the new X4 to work. It will show up with W5 numbering. I may be able to convert without a MR. If map master was out already and you had a BDM NT cable it would be a piece of cake. I have even resurrected a bricked 920 that was X4 Master Reset and loaded all the good maps back to it: Map Master Viewing Choices & More

Here is the main site: 4D Map Master | The Official 4D Map Master Website. The ONLY way to map the 4DTV!

Were working on getting it out ASAP :)

Well, I changed the battery, but imam not sure at this point how successful it is. The front display now has a 0 on it. That is it. The time is not 12:00 and it is not on channel 1. On options, 6, 5 under system status it still shows under receiver number, the same as is on the sticker on the back. The unit ID is not all zeros it is the same as it was before. Now, my satellite list that I have to program is missing ALOT of tiles. I have no W3, G5, C3, C4, etc... I do still have a X4 and W5, along with the generics like CA, CB, etc...

Last edited:
wonder if your battery died on way to your bench, you said it was unplugged to move it....I know you lose a bunch of tiles but not sure about the numbers on your front display..

And yes I also left the VCII cage out and obviously the back cover too. Definitely should not get too hot now...

Well, I changed the battery, but imam not sure at this point how successful it is. The front display now has a 0 on it. That is it. The time is not 12:00 and it is not on channel 1. On options, 6, 5 under system status it still shows under receiver number, the same as is on the sticker on the back. The unit ID is not all zeros it is the same as it was before. Now, my satellite list that I have to program is missing ALOT of tiles. I have no W3, G5, C3, C4, etc... I do still have a X4 and W5, along with the generics like CA, CB, etc...

Sounds like it needs a master reset, it's corrupted I bet.

So, since the receiver number matches, and the unit ID seems to still be good, I should be able to fix it once Mapmaster is released?

Your UID is good still so this is a very important part. The goofy mess up of the maps tells me your TDT is probably maxed out causing issues and deleting stuff.. If you do a MR and everything works fine with the bricked X4 maps Map Master will replace all data needed to tune in any DC2 and scan the skys. The reason rollout is taking longer is we want the thing right when released. Were going that extra mile to add improvements that were not suppose to be in the original release. After MM is released we will continue on making improvements and adding features for a second release. Were dedicated on giving the best back to the 4D community.

I guess if I want to use the 920 as a dish mover, I had better just keep the corrupted maps then, huh? I can use any of the tiles to move to each satellite that I want to program even though they are not the right name. Then wait on the mapmaster to be released and fix it from there? If I go to W5 when I get my dish installed, and do the change over, want it get rid of all of my tiles except for W5? Then I just have a 401, and cant even use the positioner, isn't that right?

You will only loose your tiles if you do a master reset first. If you do an authorization reset it does not wipe out the tiles. Being corrupted though the DSR could do a MR on it's own at any time, I have seen that happen. If you do end up with a MR before MM is released you still will get 21 stock tiles and X4. Digital is very limited and you loose your generics, PBS and other satellites. Map Master will get everything back and channels not even available with generics now :)

You can look at my 4 steps to no brick conversion instructions here: 4DTV Online... Final Work Around Instructions

I received a 922 that I had ordered from E-Bay today. I got it unboxed and cleaned up, removed the VCII and the cage. When I plugged it up, the clocked showed 12:00 and it was on channel 1. So, now I have a bricked 922. I have a good 920 still that I put the new battery in. I guess I will just use that one. I wanted a 922, but I am afraid to buy anymore from E-Bay.

Last edited:
bobvick,
Did the seller say anything about it's condition?? Or was the sale as-is?? Ebay is very good at resolving issues with the Buyer Protection if you care to look into it. It all depends on what the seller's information said about condition.

His description stated "Motorola DSR-922 digital/analog satellite receiver removed from working studio." I assumed if it was used in a "studio" it was working. I have sent him an email explaining the situation. We will have to see where it goes from there.

People quit using the 4d and they pull the plug which then it goes on battery mode. They can sit for years then they decide to sell them. They can even have a good UID when the leave the seller and die in transit. The only one that benefited from this battery backup design of the XC chips data was GI and Motorola. No one else. We will see more used DOA 4D's as time goes on. It's best to get one that was actively used before selling. Get the history from the seller before making the decision to buy that unit is your best bet.

I am curious. If the battery dies, Ive read where the receiver is toast. I understand the unit looses it's ID number & generates a random number. Isn't there any way to reprogram a new ID number? It would seem Motorola had a way to do that.

I am curious. If the battery dies, Ive read where the receiver is toast. I understand the unit looses it's ID number & generates a random number. Isn't there any way to reprogram a new ID number? It would seem Motorola had a way to do that.

Motorola or GI could have done all kind of things but they won't. They want to sell all the left over stock boards with UID's in them that they will accept. Beyond that tuff luck to us. Don't get me started on Motorola, please. :eek:

Just like the way of the American muscle car from the 60's, so goes 4DTV.
Without expansion, the human mind would rot.
I can see the word "Motorola" could send this topic into a very heated discussion but I'm sure it's business as usual with them. I can only imagine the mass havoc they (Motorola) could have done if they had wanted to. I remember 10 years ago reading about the eventual demise of the big dish & even though the market kept shrinking, 4DTV receivers were still being made. You say "They want to sell all the left over stock boards with UID's in them that they will accept." From what I gather here is that they will sell all the left over stock boards with UID's in them, but what they could do is donate them to some science channel for testing, to test their integrity against several sticks of dynamite, intense laser beams & how many they can smash at one time with a super tank.
And btw, I subscribe only to H2H, supporting just H2H and not the little dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts