navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
From this article:

Bay caused a brouhaha on his blog (michaelbay.com) by voicing his displeasure that Transformers would not be available on Blu-ray and that he was rethinking his plan to direct a sequel. The next day he backpedaled, but he is still upset about the format war.

"It's short-sighted and it has delayed consumers' moving to HD (home video)," he says. "As a director, my critical eye is that Blu-ray is where my money is. Consumers are smart, and they are going to wait it out."

Every comment that Bay makes just increases my dislike of him. It has nothing to do with BD or HD-DVD, just the arrogance that comes from some directors. I like how he says that is where the money is though. I still think it's best for Tranformer fans if Bay stays away from a sequal.

This was originally after Paramount announced their exclusivity: He backpeddeled the next day saying he had a few too many... Old....

Bay caused a brouhaha on his blog (michaelbay.com) by voicing his displeasure that Transformers would not be available on Blu-ray and that he was rethinking his plan to direct a sequel. The next day he backpedaled, but he is still upset about the format war.

Sony is probably in his pocket.

Or he could have seen that BD releases outsell HD-DVD releases (look at 300), and realized he is missing some $$ because the studio made a deal. It is not like Paramount took the $150 million in incentives and gave him a cut. As a director he just sees some of the revenue he could have recieved cut off because of a decision a studio made.

One wonders if Warner could use format neutrality as a selling point to attract directors/producers/actors/etc by showing maximum $$ by selling both formats.

Or he could have seen that BD releases outsell HD-DVD releases (look at 300), and realized he is missing some $$ because the studio made a deal.

The HD-DVD version of Transformers has sold more copies than the movie 300 with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sales combined. It looks like HD-DVD is selling fairly well.

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures' Megahit TRANSFORMERS Invades Stores to Become This Year's Top-Selling DVD and the Best-Selling High Definition Title Day One and Week One for Either Format

"It looks like HD-DVD is selling fairly well."

This title is. Not many like it in HD DVD, especially for the remainder of the year. Blu-ray is still outselling HD DVD 2 to 1.

Yes. And probably hold it for months.

Yet Blu-ray titles continue to outsell HD DVD titles 2 to 1. Friday's Nielsen report will be very interesting. Probably the high point for HD DVD this year, and quite likely a win for Red. Sales rates thru the end of the year will be most interesting. I look forward to any news coming out in January.

The HD-DVD version of Transformers has sold more copies than the movie 300 with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sales combined. It looks like HD-DVD is selling fairly well.

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures' Megahit TRANSFORMERS Invades Stores to Become This Year's Top-Selling DVD and the Best-Selling High Definition Title Day One and Week One for Either Format

The question is how many more copies could have been sold if it was released in both formats. No way one can seriously claim that fewer copies would have been sold. I bet there is at least a few BD only people that would have bought transformers had it been available. Yes, some of the HD-DVD would have gone to BD for those few that have both formats.

Paramount is not worried about the BD sales since they were given a truckload of $$, probably far more than they calculate they could have ever made selling both formats. If Paramount sold 300k more copies if they released in both formats They are probably out only a couple million, a drop compared to the $150 mil they got for being exclusive (not much of a chance of a lot of these mega movies in the lockout time so they come out way ahead).

Michael Bay sees 300k fewer copies sold, less money in his pocket. But, I am sure he will negotiate a few million more in the next movie to "cover" the loss. Perhaps after his blog Paramount called and upped the pay for Trans2 to cover the losses so he backpedaled.

Probably. They certainly can look forward to big bucks out of him again.

I think Bay should just come out and clarify his position - something to the effect of

"I was FOR Blu-ray before I was AGAINST Blu-ray! (after drinking too much at some friends' house) :rolleyes:

Frankly I think many Directors could have directed Transformers and had just as great a product. I could care less what Bay thinks.

Michael Bay sees 300k fewer copies sold, less money in his pocket.
Does he get a higher percentage of sales if they are in hidef? I have a hard time to believe it.
If not, those 300k compared to ~9 mln copies (total, DVD and HD) is a smaller percentage (around 3%)
than Paramount missed compared to 150 mln (300k x $25 is around 5% of 150 mln).

Diogen.

Michael Bay sees 300k fewer copies sold, less money in his pocket. But, I am sure he will negotiate a few million more in the next movie to "cover" the loss. Perhaps after his blog Paramount called and upped the pay for Trans2 to cover the losses so he backpedaled.

Well, I imagine Sam Raimi is equally depressed with 200k fewer copies of Spiderman 3 sold, less money in his pocket.

But, I suspect they'll both get over it. :p

This was originally after Paramount announced their exclusivity: He backpeddeled the next day saying he had a few too many... Old....

It's not the original statement, he just said it again after it came out on HD-DVD. He STILL prefers BluRay

Bay says 'Transformers' DVD could have been better - USATODAY.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)