Bayamon Puerto Rico OTA Antenna Question

idanny76

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Bayamon PR
My father in law lives in Urb. Bella Vista Bayamon PR and he claims that a regular Antenna on the roof will not provide any channels. I am in Orlando FL and I find it hard to believe that in a Metro area like Bayamon.... You cannot get OTA channels with just a simple roof antenna. Maybe someone in the forum lives around that area and can confirm this information. He claims that the only way to get channels is to have the antenna placed on a high tower.

Here in Florida the terrain is mostly flat or leveled and the signal can travel long distances. I know with a more mountainous terrain, the signal may be blocked. If someone is in the Bayamon area close to Bella Vista and has an OTA Antenna setup.... Can you please provide me with the antenna setup and how many channels are you getting. They are paying for Dish Network to only watch local channels.... when they can get them for free. Any help will be greatly appreciated and maybe provide me with a person information who can do the install for them. Thank you.

Go to this page...

DTV Reception Maps

And enter his zip code or address. I tried using zip code 00957 which is probably at least close and the first thing I notice is that there are a whole bunch of independent stations that could possibly be received with an antenna, but the U.S. networks are rather sparse - he could probably get PBS and ABC (on WORA channel 5.2, according to Zap2it) and maybe NBC but that's about it, however you should probably try to put the marker over his exact location on the map to get better info. I've never been to PR but my guess is that most of those independents are Spanish language channels, and Zap2it's listings for 00957 seems to conform that. DN on the other hand also gives him access to CBS, FOX, the CW, etc. If he has a decent Internet connection, he might be better off to get a Roku or similar streaming device and use that to watch shows he can't get off an antenna. Another option is that often you can go to a network's site a few hours after a show has aired and watch it online, although some networks are better about putting up their shows than others.

Also if you use Google Street View in that area you can see that it is not flat terrain. There are definitely mountains in PR, though I have no idea if they are blocking reception from some transmitters or if there just are no transmitters for the other major networks that are close enough.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The stations aren't boomers (high powered) so I'd suggest the rabbitears.info search map as a place to start. The have tons of translators (relay towers).

RabbitEars.Info

The signals vary widely with just a few blocks of movement.

Below is a link to the searchmap with center of the nearby swimming pool as the location.

RabbitEars.Info

The little league field to the north has decidedly less options.

RabbitEars.Info

I am not in Puerto Rico and they are both in their 70's. I just find it ridiculous to pay Dish Network if you are only watching local channels. They only watch the local stations. I have an antenna at my house and I get all my local stations and more. Why would I pay for cable to watch local stuff. Ill take a look at those sites and see what I find out. Was looking for someone in the forum on the near vicinity that could tell me how they are getting local channels. But thank you both for replying back with ideas.

You're welcome to feel indignant if you must, but Physics doesn't discriminate based on race, religion, political affiliation, age or financial position. There is nowhere in the entire state of Florida that is as high in elevation as your parents nearby Walgreen's so the terrain around you isn't remotely representative of what's going on geographically around your parent's home.

My sister joked that Mount Trashmore (a Broward County landfill) was the highest point in southern Florida at 225' above sea level.

I
My father in law lives in Urb. Bella Vista Bayamon PR and he claims that a regular Antenna on the roof will not provide any channels. I am in Orlando FL and I find it hard to believe that in a Metro area like Bayamon.... You cannot get OTA channels with just a simple roof antenna. Maybe someone in the forum lives around that area and can confirm this information. He claims that the only way to get channels is to have the antenna placed on a high tower.

Here in Florida the terrain is mostly flat or leveled and the signal can travel long distances. I know with a more mountainous terrain, the signal may be blocked. If someone is in the Bayamon area close to Bella Vista and has an OTA Antenna setup.... Can you please provide me with the antenna setup and how many channels are you getting. They are paying for Dish Network to only watch local channels.... when they can get them for free. Any help will be greatly appreciated and maybe provide me with a person information who can do the install for them. Thank you.
I live in the same place.
And I get around 30 OTA Channels
ABC From Wora
And NBC from telemundo

My OTA at my roof

Attachments

• 20190914_141521.jpg
    20190914_141521.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 279
Ill let them know. Would you be willing to install one for them for a price? They are on their 70's and don't know much about technology. You are like a minute from their house.
Do they have a ladder in their house?
So i can verify if they have a clear view on their roof?
I will let you know what day I can look.
I get out of work late at night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)