BB liquidating rental BD stock??

Our local stores still have Blockbuster kiosks... We also have a Blockbuster store going in my town, for how long, we'll see....

The kiosks are not really supported or run my DISH /Blockbuster. They are separate company that has been told to stop marketing them as Blockbuster. I remember reading that somewhere, but I can't remember where right now.

I like getting disc in the mail from Blockbuster. I would probably have to sign up with Netflix, if Blockbuster quits the mail at home business. Tne manager of my local Blockbuster says that they have 19 million mail order members. If Dish has maybe 2 million that have the BB@H package. That does not sound like a company on its last leg.

Last edited:
meStevo said:
I believe the company that runs their kiosk business was recently purchased by Redbox.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yes redbox took over the kiosks. in my area all but 1 family video store have closed over the years. hollywood video shut down 2 years ago here. its the new future with kisoks movies by mail for one price a month and streaming online.

now they're conflicted... both moving and closing apparently...

uploadfromtaptalk1329977719199.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think they are closing the stores as the leases expire.

I used to have 3 Blockbuster stores all within 3 miles of my house, and they are all now closed.

Dish tried to revive Blockbuster, by cross promoting it with Dish, here is why it failed...

#1 As a retailer we where offering BlockBuster Movie pass to all of our customers. There was disclosures and they where read to the customer exactly as we where required, but nobody (Including myself) knew how to explain to customers how to use it.

I can't tell you how many customers I signed up for it, and to this day have yet to use it.

#2 I never figured out how to use the Blockbuster at home online streaming. It was so clunky trying to search anything else, I gave up.

#3 They can't compete with Netflix, yet their main message was dump NetFlix and switch to Blockbuster. They never had a better product than Netflix, for the exception of BlueRay and Games.

I hate to admit it, but I bad mouthed NetFlix for years. When Blockbuster came around I was happy that Dish had come to something to compete agenst it.

Needless to say, I took a free trial on Netflix, and I decided to keep it and dumped Buster.

The Free instore exchanges aint no good, if there aint no stores still open.

I wish they would pull the inventories from the closing stores & put it into the mail rental inventories. Maybe my queue wouldn't be 90% long wait.

I like BB@Home because it added free discs by mail to my Dish Platinum plan. I even dropped my Netflix by mail plan (kept the streaming plan though). I would never have added it if I had to pay $10 extra for it. The delivery's have a slower schedule and the streaming is a joke. I have gotten the hang of finding stuff through my 722K for On Demand. The menu is very poor and it took me over a month before I found the little things that make finding stuff easier. I still have my local BB store, but I know that a lot of the local stores have closed down and my local store seems to have less rentals and more used stuff for sale all the time. In-store exchanges are great. But sadly you need a store close by to make this practical. Dish really blew this. They could have made BB viable again, but chose to simply make it a "value-added" extra for Dish subscribers. Once all the local stores are gone, I'll go back to Netflix. Much better mail selection and streaming than BB. If you're interested in niche stuff, BB doesn't hold a candle to Netflix's inventory. I really can't see how Dish is going to make back their money from this "investment".

Yeah, they only added 22,000 subscribers in the fourth quarter , but lost 165,000 for the year. Maybe BB@H has turned around the loses.

The real elephant in the room is RedBox. I've never led this caotic a life but a sh**load of folk stop by the store on the way home from work for one of those great rotisserie chickens or a frozen pizza or a couple of steaks and hit the RedBox they can't help but walk by on the way out. Sure it's just current big hits but this is the meat-and-potatoes of the market. And these folk and not gong to quit going shopping and walking by that box.

I'm sure this doesn't fit a lot of us "more selective satellite viewers" but the great unwashed masses are more than happy with a RedBox and basic cable. And like they said at the Watergate, capital will "follow the money."

I've only ever used Redbox for games and even then only a few times. It's in your face and so convenient, I just had to try it. First time using it and I was done in like 10 seconds? Amazing. Probably quicker than that, with no exaggeration. Want to rent something from Blockbuster? Oh you need an account? Please step over here and fill out this form...

DISH earnings confirmed 500 BB stores closing the first half of the year because they can't make them profitable.

An enhanced kiosk should be their approach. Reduce store sizes by half, sell refreshments, maybe some new and used titles, otherwise all the boxes are demo units just to provide the 'pick up and look at it' experience, and you rent from one of a half dozen kiosks in the store rather than the clerk at the counter. Expirament with boutiques like coffee shops that have a kiosk inside, partner with a big box retailer like Best Buy, augment their movie retail section with rental kiosks, etc. Many of these things will never happen for many reasons, but they're much more reasonable models than how Blockbuster is operating now.

The company appears destined to be a video on demand PPV service, and a menu item on a Dish receiver - nothing more.

Article about the BB store closures, the 500 being closed in the coming weeks is about 1/3 of all existing stores - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/23/idUS58945086020120223

Last edited:
The plan is to do away with all the physical stores and move to the internet period. I got notice my blockbuster application on my Toshiba blu-ray would no longer be supported. Yesterday I read Tivo subs will no longer have blockbuster application on their receiver too. They have already done away with the Blockbuster kiosks in stores. Blockbuster is either going exclusively to DISH subs or to both DISH subs and the public via the internet . DVds and Blu-rays are really so 10 years ago. They need to move to full streaming service for both new and older programs . Either that or close out completely and put a grave stone up : Blockbuster R.I.P. .

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Bluray is so much better than streaming a movie in HD. Anyways I just figure that they will do away with the blockbuster locations and just become like NetFlix.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Bluray is so much better than streaming a movie in HD. Anyways I just figure that they will do away with the blockbuster locations and just become like NetFlix.

I have to agree with ohioankev. Streaming does not even begin to approach blu-ray in picture and sound. Also streaming doesn't have the extras that blu-rays (and dvds) come with.

Last edited:
Still, I wonder...if they plan on going the rent-by-mail or the kiosk route, then why sell off their inventory if it can be repurposed?

Dish does not own the BB kiosk business. So, the kiosk route is not an option. Their rent by mail is too slow to compete with Netflix. Dish has got me addicted to disc by mail. If they close my local store, I will switch to Netflix.

Well, this is interesting IF true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't. I was just at my local Blockbuster to do an in-store exchange. We commented on how busy the store has been the last few months and the fact they had a "Now Hiring" sign up. The manager told us the last three months or so had seen their business explode (at least triple) and that Blockbuster just renewed their lease another two years in that location.

This is very good news if accurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts